Mini FT Flyer

Flyingshark

Master member
I'd like to build the FT Flyer, and I have enough parts to build a 3ch mini-sized plane. I'd rather use the stuff I've already got than order a power pack B. (and if I do get one, it'll probably end up in an FT Explorer...) Anyway, I'm planning on scaling down the FT Flyer plans to fit my A pack motor and mighty mini firewall.

Has anyone built and flown the FT Flyer with a radial power pack? I was wondering whether the increase in power from the radials changed the flight characteristics much.

I'll post more in this thread when I have something more than a vague idea and a pile of parts. Hopefully I can get this finished in the next few weeks.

PLANS:
(v1.6)
- Added marks for where to place straws as pushrod guides
- Added information to the description box in the bottom right
- Posted this version as a resource

Attachments

• Mini FT Flyer Plans v1.6.pdf
    95.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Flyingshark

Master member
The full size Flyer has a 26" wingspan and an 8" prop. If I scale it to a 6" prop, I end up with a 19.5" wingspan. I think that's a good size. That will mean that I'll have to mess around with the power pod arrangement, because the mighty mini firewall is half the size of the swappable firewall. Hmmm.

The Fopster

Master member
A mini FT Flyer. Genius! Why haven't I seen that before! The FT Flyer is the best trainer I know, so an easy mini version is a brilliant idea. Good luck!

The Fopster

Master member
I'd make basic plans but wait to see how it flies at that size before spending too long tidying them up. Always best to wait to see if it lives up to your hopes!

Flyingshark

Master member
I'd make basic plans but wait to see how it flies at that size before spending too long tidying them up. Always best to wait to see if it lives up to your hopes!
Yeah. I should have clarified -- only if it works. :) The basic plans would be fairly easy to do, just resize the servo cutouts and redo the front end to fit the mini power pod...

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Honestly with the power of the radial motor you could probably make a full sized flyer. I mean it is already overpowered with the B power pack on 3s and perfect on 2s, so a power pack A on 3s should be plenty and have less torque to worry about.

But hey, that's just a theory... a plane theory.

Flyingshark

Master member
Honestly with the power of the radial motor you could probably make a full sized flyer. I mean it is already overpowered with the B power pack on 3s and perfect on 2s, so a power pack A on 3s should be plenty and have less torque to worry about.

But hey, that's just a theory... a plane theory.
I've got a bunch of 2s 650 batteries with XT30s. I only have 1 3s that would work with the A pack ESC without soldering, so I'm hoping to make it work with the A pack on 2s. Might try an A pack full sized Flyer in the future, though.

Flyingshark

Master member
Progress!
I scaled down the plans in Inkscape to 75% and turned them into templates:
IMG_0103.JPG

I need to work on getting the A folds and cutouts the right size though. Once I've done that, I'll post the basic plans for anyone who wants them. Still, at this rate, I'll be done with the final version by the end of next week at the latest.

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Progress!
I scaled down the plans in Inkscape to 75% and turned them into templates:
View attachment 178416

I need to work on getting the A folds and cutouts the right size though. Once I've done that, I'll post the beta plans for anyone who wants them. Still, at this rate, I'll be done with the final version by the end of next week at the latest.
Looking good!

Flyingshark

Master member
The Mini Flyer has gone from looking like this:
IMG_0103.JPG

to looking like this:
IMG_0124.JPG

It balances slightly tail heavy with a 2s 650 all the way forward. (You'll notice it also needs pushrods.)

I'm holding out hope that I'll have plans by next Friday, but I did have to do a bunch of modding I wasn't expecting to get everything to fit right. Case in point:
IMG_0115.JPG

At least "testing" gives me an excuse to build another. :D

Attachments

• IMG_0113.JPG
    IMG_0113.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0114.JPG
    IMG_0114.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0117.JPG
    IMG_0117.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0118.JPG
    IMG_0118.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0119.JPG
    IMG_0119.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0120.JPG
    IMG_0120.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0122.JPG
    IMG_0122.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0123.JPG
    IMG_0123.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Flyingshark

Master member
Ok, the Mini Flyer is finished!
Adding landing gear made from a coat hangar solved the CG problem, and I gave it a quick "paint job" with some white electrical tape. Not sure how useful that'll be for orientation, but I think it looks cool.
IMG_0134.JPG

IMG_0132.JPG IMG_0133.JPG IMG_0130.JPG

It needed a small cutout in the TE so the elevator pushrod was straight, and I had to glue the power pod in at the front end, since I didn't want it to "saucer separate" in flight. ;) Anyway, just a little tweaking of tabs, slots and A folds, and I'll put some plans up for anyone who wants to try this.

Quick overview:
It runs an A-pack 1806 2280kv radial, 20A ESC, 4-channel receiver and 2 5g servos. The battery I'm going to maiden it with is a 2s 650mah, but you could probably bump it up to a 3s 850 if you wanted more speed and power.

Flyingshark

Master member
Flights!
I flew it in my backyard, so most of it is flying slowly at high-ish alpha, to keep it inside the space. It's pretty stable all the time. The only damage were some crushed parts of the wing, 2 broken rubber bands for the landing gear, and one of the foam board wheels fell off.