Mini FW-190D

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
It flew!!
I love the way it flies and how it carries its momentum, and you can see early on in the video when I went up to do some stall tests it didn't tip stall it just fell straight down. Then at the end when I tried to land it took me three times to try and get it slow enough to land I think that happens because I'm use to flying FT style foamies which have quite a bit of drag.

Namactual

Elite member
Wow!

Great job on this Griff! What a beautiful bird. It looks she flies as good as she looks too.

Great work man.(y)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
That looks like a great flyer! Could hardly even tell the prop isn't black till it landed :p

Congrats!!

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
That looks like a great flyer! Could hardly even tell the prop isn't black till it landed :p

Congrats!!

Just hit it with a sharpie! I do do that on APC props and it works well. Not sure if you could get away with doing the yellow tips on a blue prop, but I bet the black would be fine. Its MUCH quicker than painting and rebalancing

Looks awesome and flies great. Nice work!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Just hit it with a sharpie! I do do that on APC props and it works well. Not sure if you could get away with doing the yellow tips on a blue prop, but I bet the black would be fine. Its MUCH quicker than painting and rebalancing

Looks awesome and flies great. Nice work!
Good idea I'm going to try that:D

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Wow how the heck did I miss this entire thread?

What an amazing job you did. This should get a feature spot for an interview at Flite Fest if you go. We should poke Stefan with a stick til he spotlights Griff and the amazing things he is producing at such a young age. Could easily be the next Andres.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Wow how the heck did I miss this entire thread?

What an amazing job you did. This should get a feature spot for an interview at Flite Fest if you go. We should poke Stefan with a stick til he spotlights Griff and the amazing things he is producing at such a young age. Could easily be the next Andres.

Wow thanks for all the kind words, sadly I don't think I'll be able to make it to Flite Fest.
But the community should also be spotlighted. I only knew how to build the plane because of all the threads that other people have created that I was then able to read, and then learn how to be able to build a plane using all the techniques, that were involved in the build.

FOGeologist

How did you make your fuselage sections? Did you use plans that cut them into slices? Did this involve some sort of software?

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
How did you make your fuselage sections? Did you use plans that cut them into slices? Did this involve some sort of software?

OK, so what I did was a I took this image,
focke-wulf-fw-190-d9-3.png

Blew it up, so that the dimensions on paper were what I wanted in real life printed and taped it all together, Then I cut out each individual former glued them to pieces of cardstock until they were about 1mm thick and then I tacked them to pieces of foam and cut them out and glued them together side by side:)

Are you planning on making a similar model?

FOGeologist

OK, so what I did was a I took this image, View attachment 108510

Blew it up, so that the dimensions on paper were what I wanted in real life printed and taped it all together, Then I cut out each individual former glued them to pieces of cardstock until they were about 1mm thick and then I tacked them to pieces of foam and cut them out and glued them together side by side:)

Are you planning on making a similar model?
I may use this approach to make formers for... some kind of a warbird. Probably a spitfire. I am examining plans from a wooden kit that may guide my approach. Thinking about making this ship, but not using balsa.

Attachments

• spit.dxf
    257.9 KB · Views: 0
  • spitmk9.pdf
    399.1 KB · Views: 0

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I may use this approach to make formers for... some kind of a warbird. Probably a spitfire. I am examining plans from a wooden kit that may guide my approach. Thinking about making this ship, but not using balsa.
Oh COOL! make sure you make a thread about it if you do try and make one;)

bracesport

Legendary member
In my experience, using hand laid fibreglass was a piece of cake, you use very little epoxy, and with a mini paint roller it goes on smoothly! I used Wests 105 epoxy and only bought 500mls (a small bottle) and still have heaps left.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
In my experience, using hand laid fibreglass was a piece of cake, you use very little epoxy, and with a mini paint roller it goes on smoothly! I used Wests 105 epoxy and only bought 500mls (a small bottle) and still have heaps left.
Cool I'll definitely remember that, on this build I was trying out hot wire cutting for the first time and I didn't want to spend a lot money and time, but the next time I do a build like this I'll definitely use fiberglass!!