Solved Mini Guinea motor issue

FishbonesAir

So I started getting my electronics ready, as my MG is coming along, and I hoped to get it done today. I have a new Flysky radio, so I got it out, got the receiver bound, and started testing servos. Then I hooked up one of the power pods to test. The motor didn't start turning until the throttle stick was moved to about halfway. I tried adjusting settings to get that down, but all that did was make the motor start a lot slower, and perhaps very slightly earlier in the stick travel. Also, the motor seems to "hiccup" as power is advanced or decreased, cutting out for a split second. I'm new to this foam & electric stuff, though I built peanut scale for years.

I hooked up the Y harnesses and the second motor, as I figured that the throttle stick thing was merely an annoyance I could work with. However, the other motor performed far better. I responded after the stick had been moved only slightly, picked up rpm smoothly... In short, performed the way I expected the first one to have behaved. The original motor didn't respond until the stick reached middle travel... Yah, not workable on a twin motor plane!

I was hoping to hit a fun fly with my old model group tomorrow (we moved across the state) but hope is dwindling. Does this sound like a motor issue, and ESC issue or... ?

luvmy40

Elite member
OK,
You need to calibrate the ESC.
You've already bound the receiver to the xmitter, right?
So, turn the radio on, get the model selected, place the throttle(left) stick at full throttle, power up the receiver, wait for the music to end, throttle down fully then up fully, then back down fully. Obviously, all of this should be done with NO PROP INSTALLED.

Your ESC is now calibrated.

FishbonesAir

OK,
You need to calibrate the ESC.
You've already bound the receiver to the xmitter, right?
So, turn the radio on, get the model selected, place the throttle(left) stick at full throttle, power up the receiver, wait for the music to end, throttle down fully then up fully, then back down fully. Obviously, all of this should be done with NO PROP INSTALLED.

Your ESC is now calibrated.
That was it! Thank you so much. 🙂