Mini master series corsair

4m!?!? I wish I could build anything over 4 ft! Lol. I have a tiny Isuzu pickup, which is what inspired the mini corsair, the regular one is a $#&%@ to get it the cab with me and still be able to shift haha.

Jackson T

Elite member
4m!?!? I wish I could build anything over 4 ft! Lol. I have a tiny Isuzu pickup, which is what inspired the mini corsair, the regular one is a $#&%@ to get it the cab with me and still be able to shift haha.
I live next to a farm :p. The foam board I have access to here in Australia doesn't mold well like the master series corsair (and it's heavier), otherwise I would probably have at least a few more foam planes in my fleet :(. How hard is it to mold the white foam? Are you using Adams readi-board, or a different brand?

I live next to a farm :p. The foam board I have access to here in Australia doesn't mold well like the master series corsair (and it's heavier), otherwise I would probably have at least a few more foam planes in my fleet :(. How hard is it to mold the white foam? Are you using Adams readi-board, or a different brand?

I'm just using Adam's rediboard, I've used other ones before, like the Elmers board, and the board that comes from hobby lobby. They were way too expensive and the elmers was easily twice as heavy. Im jealous you're living in Australia! Steve Irwin was and always will be my idol. I have many many reptiles, and always go adventuring in the woods and springs in Florida just looking for creatures, cool plants and anything else nature has to offer.

Great work. I can't wait to see how it handles in comparison.
Me too! Lol and thank you. I do wish I had thinner foamboard just for the wings. Where the wing halves meet on the leading edge, I'm gonna have to do something to help airflow. I think a balsa strip then sanded to a nice rounded edge will work.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Yes the local FB is heavier but it definitely can be molded quite well. In addition the FB here is available in 3mm which in turn also mods quite well. Removing the paper from the FB can require a little skill but you end up with a finished plane that can be markedly stronger and more crash resistant than the DTFB or even the water resistant FB.

I have a Sea Duck built from an FT supplied kit and the WR FB is fairly soft and the wings do flex in flight slightly whereas when built from the local FB the weight is only marginally greater BUT the wings are rigid the fuselage can take a real beating!

If you want to build a master series in the local FB just do it! If you want to build a mini then again just do it! There is a thread that shows a quick method to remove the paper from the FB available here in AUS. See:- https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/quick-tip-involving-the-new-foam.32740/#post-329044

Have fun!

So the mini corsair is ready for its maiden flight! I managed to fit a 2200 3s in the nose. Don't ask me how haha. But it balances out like that. With the little 2306 2600kv motor, it should give me some impressive flight times. Static, by the hand, thrust tests seem pretty darn good. She wants to fly right out of my hand. I haven't painted, polyurethane, or put any of the balsa trim pieces on yet, i want to make sure it flies ok as is, and that the motor has enough thrust, if not, then I'm heading to grayson hobby for a motor. Or maybe the flite test radial line may have something I can use. I want to stay in the 6-7" prop range because it looks so perfect. Any cool ideas for paint?! I still have no idea what colors or scheme

I just picked the Livery I want. You know the Gulf blue and orange race cars from 60s-70s? Specifically the ford gt40? That blue and orange fitted to the curves of a corsair.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-06-18-10-32-51.png
    Screenshot_2019-06-18-10-32-51.png
    874.5 KB · Views: 0
Unfortunately didn't get a flight in today. Its been raining like Jumanji here in Florida. Think I should go for more of a scale paintjob? I was just thinking since I had to put an ESC scoop on the nose, id do something a little different. I'm open to all ideas!

Jackson T

Elite member
Unfortunately didn't get a flight in today. Its been raining like Jumanji here in Florida. Think I should go for more of a scale paintjob? I was just thinking since I had to put an ESC scoop on the nose, id do something a little different. I'm open to all ideas!
If I built my own I would paint it scale, but that's mainly cause its hard to mess up plain navy blue ;). But if you've got something creative in mind, go for it!

Jackson T

Elite member
Yes the local FB is heavier but it definitely can be molded quite well. In addition the FB here is available in 3mm which in turn also mods quite well. Removing the paper from the FB can require a little skill but you end up with a finished plane that can be markedly stronger and more crash resistant than the DTFB or even the water resistant FB.

I have a Sea Duck built from an FT supplied kit and the WR FB is fairly soft and the wings do flex in flight slightly whereas when built from the local FB the weight is only marginally greater BUT the wings are rigid the fuselage can take a real beating!

If you want to build a master series in the local FB just do it! If you want to build a mini then again just do it! There is a thread that shows a quick method to remove the paper from the FB available here in AUS. See:- https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/quick-tip-involving-the-new-foam.32740/#post-329044

Have fun!
Yeah, one of my friends bought a speed build kit, and the foam is definitely stronger over here! Thanks for the paper removal tip. Where do you get your foam from, and how much does it cost?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Yeah, one of my friends bought a speed build kit, and the foam is definitely stronger over here! Thanks for the paper removal tip. Where do you get your foam from, and how much does it cost?
I buy the Juhl Megawood from a local art shop though I am soon going directly to the distro in box quantities.

One of sheet, (double the DTFB size), cost me $9 though box quantities are far cheaper.

Have fun!

Ready for paint! Balsa strips on leading edge sanded to a nice shape, used masking take to clean up the lines, the polyurethaned the whole thing. It has made the masking tape stick really well. I was going to wait til after the maiden flight but...the rain keeps coming. I'm thinking about painting it in a similar pattern of my large corsair, but with different colors. Maybe grey base with electric blue tail and stripes on wings. I painted the mini mustang similarly, maybe that's my livery lol.

Attachments

• 15609856760411669099817.jpg
    15609856760411669099817.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 15609857004111575101554.jpg
    15609857004111575101554.jpg
    879.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 15609857485711375182034.jpg
    15609857485711375182034.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 0508191727a.jpg
    0508191727a.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Jackson T

Elite member
Ready for paint! Balsa strips on leading edge sanded to a nice shape, used masking take to clean up the lines, the polyurethaned the whole thing. It has made the masking tape stick really well. I was going to wait til after the maiden flight but...the rain keeps coming. I'm thinking about painting it in a similar pattern of my large corsair, but with different colors. Maybe grey base with electric blue tail and stripes on wings. I painted the mini mustang similarly, maybe that's my livery lol.
That is one awesome paint job! What's you mini mustang's AUW?

Well...after "repairing" a section of wing that cracked, I forgot to glue the servo back in place...this happened...I don't know where the tail is lol I took all electronics out and am not sure how much it weighed honestly. I want to say 350ish. All I had was a 30amp esc and 9 gram servos so that added a little bit. I used a 1000 4s also. I like heavier stuff, there's ALWAYS a breeze when living close to the beach.

Attachments

• 1561060906388958144456.jpg
    1561060906388958144456.jpg
    713.4 KB · Views: 0

Jackson T

Elite member
Well...after "repairing" a section of wing that cracked, I forgot to glue the servo back in place...this happened...I don't know where the tail is lol I took all electronics out and am not sure how much it weighed honestly. I want to say 350ish. All I had was a 30amp esc and 9 gram servos so that added a little bit. I used a 1000 4s also. I like heavier stuff, there's ALWAYS a breeze when living close to the beach.
Did it still fly alright at that weight? My planes always come out heavier because of the Australian foam's weight. We're in winter over here, and 2/3 of the days are pretty much windless, and about a 1/3 of the days have clear blue skies :)