Mini master series corsair

The mustang flew beautifly! I didn't add a rudder it, I wish I had but it was heavy already. Takeoff had to be 3/4 throttle with a GOOD toss, and landings were a little hot. But stilled slowed down enough to just putt around for about 7-8 minutes! That was with the 3 cell 1000s. It was my second favorite to fly, and my favorite to keep in the work truck and get some lunch time flying in.

Hey Jackson T, I saw you had an article made for your 4m motor glider, do you think with some more pictures, and a video of it flying after being painted, the Mini Master series corsair would be worthy?

Jackson T

Elite member
Hey Jackson T, I saw you had an article made for your 4m motor glider, do you think with some more pictures, and a video of it flying after being painted, the Mini Master series corsair would be worthy?
Definitely! More articles means more inspiration! The articles are a great resource that everyone contributes to, and I for one have learnt a heap from reading them. They also help to get a few extra views for your YouTube channel too (if you include flight videos and such) :p

I have gotten a heap of info from the articles section, so many cool ideas! And I don't have a YouTube channel yet lol, I guess both the big corsair and the mini corsair are going to be my first videos lol. Here's my FPV corsair, its a beautiful FPV flier. It runs a 3536 980kv with a 11x7 prop on 3s, and a 10x7 prop on 4 s. With the 26004s, she's a screamer. I plan on buying a pito tube from the LHS to get accurate speed readings.

Attachments

• 0605192011a.jpg
    0605192011a.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0

Jackson T

Elite member
I have gotten a heap of info from the articles section, so many cool ideas! And I don't have a YouTube channel yet lol, I guess both the big corsair and the mini corsair are going to be my first videos lol. Here's my FPV corsair, its a beautiful FPV flier. It runs a 3536 980kv with a 11x7 prop on 3s, and a 10x7 prop on 4 s. With the 26004s, she's a screamer. I plan on buying a pito tube from the LHS to get accurate speed readings.
Nice! What FPV components are you using? I just use those cheap AIO cameras.

I spoiled myself and got a runcam eagle, and an immersion rc 200mw tx. I have better antenneas than what a pictured, but, my cheap rc transmitter won't go far enough to require them lol. Time to upgrade that next.

Last edited:
I have one of those AIO cameras, and I loved it! Teensie 1s 300mah to power it, and I soldered a cheap rhcp antennae in place of the stock one. I used it on my FT arrow and had a blast. I still have it...maybe the mini Corsair deserves an FPV setup too! So I was rethinking the paintjob on the Mini Corsair... I'm going simpler and cleaner, but still different. I don't want to "rice" out a Corsair lol. Its a classic, and should be treated as such.

I am finally able to maiden the mini corsair today! Weather is cooperating. But...the other day my girlfriend and her sister were paddleboarding in one of the many springs around here, manatees everywhere, some tarpon...OH and they lost my gopro hero7 black... I tried to find it last night after work. Got the scuba gear out and couldn't find it. The thing with springs, there are thousands of tiny sub-springs that turn the sand on the bottom into a very soft quicksand, if you step in it, you could go in instantly up to your knees or hips depending on how big the sub-springs is. Goodbye gopro, you've seen many cool things in your life. Moment of silence?

OliverW

Legendary member
I am finally able to maiden the mini corsair today! Weather is cooperating. But...the other day my girlfriend and her sister were paddleboarding in one of the many springs around here, manatees everywhere, some tarpon...OH and they lost my gopro hero7 black... I tried to find it last night after work. Got the scuba gear out and couldn't find it. The thing with springs, there are thousands of tiny sub-springs that turn the sand on the bottom into a very soft quicksand, if you step in it, you could go in instantly up to your knees or hips depending on how big the sub-springs is. Goodbye gopro, you've seen many cool things in your life. Moment of silence?
moment of silence for the poor deceased gopro

And now, a moment of silence for my big corsair, whose radio signal cute out today, while my FPV signal was still clear and crashed into some unknown trees it was free flying for a good minute, and I'm just watching my screen trying to get my bearings to see where she's gonna crash. I did have a spotter and she lost it too. Eventually my fpv signal gave out high above some woods and...she's gone lol.I searched the surrounding woods for about 4 hours, nothing. On a good note, the mini corsair is an absolute rocket. 1/3 throttle is a good cruise with good control. Full throttle is way too much fun. I'm going to pick up another gopro this week and finally get some video of this thing.

OliverW

Legendary member
And now, a moment of silence for my big corsair, whose radio signal cute out today, while my FPV signal was still clear and crashed into some unknown trees it was free flying for a good minute, and I'm just watching my screen trying to get my bearings to see where she's gonna crash. I did have a spotter and she lost it too. Eventually my fpv signal gave out high above some woods and...she's gone lol.I searched the surrounding woods for about 4 hours, nothing. On a good note, the mini corsair is an absolute rocket. 1/3 throttle is a good cruise with good control. Full throttle is way too much fun. I'm going to pick up another gopro this week and finally get some video of this thing.
moment of silence for poor corsair

Got the first layer on, a few grey and lime green things somewhere and a number on the fuselage behind the cockpit. Its fast, and after looking up some f2g corsairs, I noticed there was a similar "hood scoop" similar to the one I put on there. Thought that was cool.

Attachments

• 0623192112.jpg
    0623192112.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
So I figured something out. For once! If any of you are thinking of doing a mini corsair, make the wing spars thinner. At 75% of original, the thickness of the foam plays a big part in the way the curvature forms. I have a very aggressive airfoil on the mini, at higher speeds it shoots STRAIGHT up, I've trimmed it at half throttle, then at 3/4 throttle, and found a happy medium. When I landed, my elevator was...not straight. At all. It had a good 7 degrees of nose down, just to keep it from climbing with speed. My thrust angle is extreme too. That I'm ok with. So long story short, I'm printing out more plans, and just doing the wing over again. I'm going to make the wood and foam spars quite a bit thinner than the already scaled down spars. I might combine some of NerdNics airfoil designs to build a very sleek "outer wing" ill leave the small inner wing and just make some be held on the leading and trailing edges. I dunno, maybe just the whole wing in a NerdNic style. I know it wasn't initially designed to be fast, but this little guy RIPS. A sleeker, thinner wing would definitely help me grab a few more MPH. I tried a 5.5x4.75 prop on 4s, and the wing is my limiting factor, I couldn't really pour on the coals. Other than that, it flies absolutely incredible a little above 1/2 throttle, tracks beautifully, and can slow down for a nice smooth soft landing.

See how thick the wing is. I've been thinking of an 80% fuselage, and a 75% wing assembly with thinner spars.

Attachments

• 0625191637.jpg
    0625191637.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Jackson T

Elite member
Yeah, the spar thickness was scaled down, but the foam thickness wasn't, which means the aerofoil is thicker than a perfect 75% scale aerofoil. Do you have any flight footage? I'd love to see this thing in the air!

For the first 2200 3s I used making both videos, after about 7 minutes in the air, I landed with 11.2volts. The second battery I didn't film, I flew at 2/3 throttle at most, mainly just slow, I got 9 minutes and landed with 10.5. Once I build a new wing that's a little skinnier, I think she'll go faster, and maybe have a better run time. I'm going to try a 5x4.7x3 on 4s next. I was also thinking of getting an Emax RSII 2306 1700kv( or 1900? Can't remember what the lowest KV is for this motor. Run that with a 7x5 on 3s, and be able to use my 6" props with 4s. I've found this mini corsair runs best with a bullnose style 6" prop. Maybe the extra bite outside the profile of the fuselage helps? I also carved out more of the foam inside the scoop, after I did that, I found my electronics were COOL, and my battery hatch folded a litte, I think the extra airflow actually pushed it out, seeing as my ESC and battery were also much cooler. Some of my mishaps and dumb thumbery definitely tested the spars haha.
1561834936970986098110.jpg
1561834997975-1147267943.jpg