Mini Master Series Spitfire

Mini Master Series Spitfire 1.1

Please log in to download

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Grifflyer submitted a new resource:

Mini Master Series Spitfire - A Spitfire built using master series techniques

When I set out to design the Spitfire, I wanted to try keeping things simple and easy to build for a Master Series plane. I chose to go for a fuselage that has an inner frame that then gets skinned in foam, rather than taking the "mold together" route that Overstreet uses. I put a lot of work into adding the scale details using just foamboard. Like the large wing fillets that characterize the Spitfire, and all the radiators under the wing, and I even went as far as adding little exhaust...

Read more about this resource...

AussieBison

Hey,

Thank you for the amazing plans :)
Just wondering if it would be possible to bring the AUW sub 250 grams?
Basically looking to avoid getting a license in Canada :)

Thank you again :)

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Yes that is feasible, if you remove all the internal paper in the wing, all the paper on the formers, and one side of the paper on stuff like the fuse box, hatch and braces in the tail. As well as using the least amount of glue possible you should be able to squeeze it under the 250gram mark!

AussieBison

Yes that is feasible, if you remove all the internal paper in the wing, all the paper on the formers, and one side of the paper on stuff like the fuse box, hatch and braces in the tail. As well as using the least amount of glue possible you should be able to squeeze it under the 250gram mark!

I will be onto it then :)

Also, the plane in your profile picture is BF 109-ish? Would you be releasing plans for that if that's yours? I believe John Overstreet is working on BF 109 (maybe he's finished that one already), but the plans are going to be released by the FT guys. not sure how long before we get our hands on John's plans :)

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I will be onto it then :)

Also, the plane in your profile picture is BF 109-ish? Would you be releasing plans for that if that's yours? I believe John Overstreet is working on BF 109 (maybe he's finished that one already), but the plans are going to be released by the FT guys. not sure how long before we get our hands on John's plans :)
Yup that's my own, I'll be released it through HRC! The most recent timeline I've been given is March or April. However I can send you the beta plans if you'd like, and then walk you through everything.

Whit Armstrong

Elite member

You could also use a lighter glue, like foam-tac, or gorilla glue (I haven't tried it, bit I've heard it works.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Nicely done @Grifflyer. That is absolutely gorgeous.

I learned something back when I did the @rockyboy Caudron build that may put the icing on builds like these. I used the pink spackle that dries white on all my joints to smooth it all out. Before priming though I coated it with White Gorilla Wood Glue. It seemed to soak in and become less stiff and less likely to crack on impact. It painted well and comes out super smooth and you can not see the joints at all.

I will grab the back up drive and drop pictures later if you want.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
You could also use a lighter glue, like foam-tac, or gorilla glue (I haven't tried it, bit I've heard it works.
Yup I've used wood glue and gorilla glue before, but it takes forever to dry. And it was quite a hassle with the skins because you have to use a lot of tape and just hope that you got everything lined up because you can't really see anything due to it being covered in tape 😂

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic

I learned something back when I did the @rockyboy Caudron build that may put the icing on builds like these. I used the pink spackle that dries white on all my joints to smooth it all out. Before priming though I coated it with White Gorilla Wood Glue. It seemed to soak in and become less stiff and less likely to crack on impact. It painted well and comes out super smooth and you can not see the joints at all.

I'd love to see some pictures of that, it sounds like an awesome way to hide the horrendous seam lines!

AussieBison

Yup that's my own, I'll be released it through HRC! The most recent timeline I've been given is March or April. However I can send you the beta plans if you'd like, and then walk you through everything.

That would be awesome if I could get the beta plans! Mind if I scale them down to mini (again, aiming sub 250g) build?
Happy to make a 100% scale model, I just won't be able to fly it as I don't have license for that [it's not expensive to get a rc plane license in Canada, but I am not eligible yet unfortunately :( ].

Also, did you mean https://www.thehangarrc.com/ by HRC?
March or April tentative timeline is for your BF109 plans on the HRC, right?

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
That would be awesome if I could get the beta plans! Mind if I scale them down to mini (again, aiming sub 250g) build?
Happy to make a 100% scale model, I just won't be able to fly it as I don't have license for that [it's not expensive to get a rc plane license in Canada, but I am not eligible yet unfortunately :( ].

Also, did you mean https://www.thehangarrc.com/ by HRC?
March or April tentative timeline is for your BF109 plans on the HRC, right?
Awesome I'll send them out to you! The one in my profile picture is actually the same size as the Spitfire.
Yup that's the company, March or April is when they hope to release the plans officially, and offer a kit.

AussieBison

Awesome I'll send them out to you! The one in my profile picture is actually the same size as the Spitfire.
Yup that's the company, March or April is when they hope to release the plans officially, and offer a kit.

Perfect! just out of curiosity, does that mean the final plan won't be uploaded here (on ft forum)?
And thank you for the beta plans!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Perfect! just out of curiosity, does that mean the final plan won't be uploaded here (on ft forum)?
And thank you for the beta plans!
I'll still be able to post them here on the forums. I'll just have to provide a link to the plane on the hrc website instead of a direct download link.

leaded50

Legendary member

same idea i uses by skin joints. just some woodglue light, or also superlight wall filler before the thin layer of glue.... slick when painted!