Help! Mini mustang/first build

Flystuff

I ordered the FT mini mustang with the hopes of fiberglassing the entire thing. I ordered a handful of random parts I thought I would need. I have a 2205-2300 kv motor, 30 amp ESC with the XT60 connector , and four 9gram servos. The flight controller will be the ZOHD kopilot lite system with a fs-ia6 Receiver. What are your thoughts? I ordered all of this after getting my first plane a ZOHD dart 250, and flying it a few times knowing I would eventually destroy it.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I’ve never fiberglassed a plane before, but my first thoughts are that you might end up being a bit too heavy for it to fly well. I would reccomend getting one of the larger FT planes like the Storch and using the gear you bought in it. Everything you have will work in a Storch except the motor.

Flystuff

I’ve never fiberglassed a plane before, but my first thoughts are that you might end up being a bit too heavy for it to fly well. I would reccomend getting one of the larger FT planes like the Storch and using the gear you bought in it. Everything you have will work in a Storch except the motor.
What if I extended the wings by an inch or so when I glass it? I’m also worried about the weight but I already ordered the kit and really want to try.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
What if I extended the wings by an inch or so when I glass it? I’m also worried about the weight but I already ordered the kit and really want to try.
That would probably help a little. My mini mustang flew when I added an action camera on top which weighed 40 or 50 grams. I was also using a 30 amp esc and 4 9g servos. It should fly, but it’ll require more throttle.

Flystuff

not going to be easy to stuff all that in the plane. I fly mine on a 2205-2300 w 20A and 5g servos.

good luck,

me :cool:
Thanks, i was and still am pretty ignorant about rc parts still, and should have asked before buying the stuff. What battery and prop do you use? I do plan on having some editing to do on the internal structure, but I am hoping I can sure it all back up with the glass.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
f-pack 3S no problem, it will fly.

you putting gear on it? if not the scoop will eat a ton of dirt on a guaranteed, nose in landing, and possible prop break.

i would also be concerned about the ability to achieve CG? i know fiber is light but it's still weight and almost all will be behind the CG.

what is your plan for wing tips and the under-camber? are you going to glass it all smooth or stick with the original design?

sounds diff and fun, the worst thing that can happen is you learn something, then build something new.

good luck,

Flystuff

I have glassfibered foam planes, using water based polycarbonate indoor varnish - it adds much less weight but you don't get that hard finish resin gives. What weight of fiberglass you using?
I’m not sure yet what I will be use if but as light as I can go, and I’ll use bondo brand fiberglass resin, I know it will be heavier but I want all the rigidity I can get!

Flystuff

f-pack 3S no problem, it will fly.

you putting gear on it? if not the scoop will eat a ton of dirt on a guaranteed, nose in landing, and possible prop break.

i would also be concerned about the ability to achieve CG? i know fiber is light but it's still weight and almost all will be behind the CG.

what is your plan for wing tips and the under-camber? are you going to glass it all smooth or stick with the original design?

sounds diff and fun, the worst thing that can happen is you learn something, then build something new.

good luck,

Exactly difficult and fun! I did see the under scoop as an issue like you mentioned, and I’m not sure what my fix will be for that. Maybe landing gear but it won’t look as “cool”. Of course it won’t look cool when it’s buried nose first in the dirt either.
T
The CG I will just have to figure out after the glass I don’t know how much and where I will be adding the most weight. Maybe moving the battery forward? I don’t want to just add weight to the nose to adjust.
I’m going to glass the entire plane smooth then probably add some hand carved foam to the tips adding a little length then glass over all of that. But I will keep it mostly original trimming and shaping where I see fit. As for the camber I don’t know, do you have any thoughts? thanks for the hard questions

Draftman1

Why fiberglass? It’s really not needed and will add weight, You could offset some weight by not using a rudder servo, keep it fixed, the mustang makes a nice crank and bank plane

Flystuff

Why fiberglass? It’s really not needed and will add weight, You could offset some weight by not using a rudder servo, keep it fixed, the mustang makes a nice crank and bank plane
I just think it would be fun and look cool I guess. Also I used to do a lot of fiberglass work on CH-53s and kind of miss doing it. Good idea with the rudder servo. Although I only have a delta wing style plane now and someone suggested I learn to fly using all my control surfaces now or I’ll be in trouble later down the road.