Mini Mustang Weight?

Im building a mini mustang and im worried about the weight. in this condition the weight is 176g the servos in the wings included. with motor esc but no servo for elevator yet the weight is 289g. Is this Okay or too heavy? the plane is covered with covering film and aluminium tape.
184415198_2818433141707841_7451473634657220351_n.jpg

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
The heavier the plane, the higher the stall speed. The store page indicates it should have a dry mass of around 155g, so it sounds like your on the order of 2x the expected dry mass.

So it is going to need to be going really fast to stay air born.
I see an EST. stall speed of 20mph (33km/h) at 350g (which your going to hit or higher, higher will just bring the stall speed higher)
1620731288293.png

Where as at the documented weight, I see an EST. stall speed of 16mph (25km/h) @ 200g (155g dry + approx battery weight)
1620731517992.png

Given the size of the plane, I would want the stall speed to be on the low side as a football field... maybe 2 is about as far away as you would want to fly that and still be able to have good orientation viability.

JasonK

yes, or you can make it lighter so you can go slower. Edit: you can even upgrade the motor and prop so you can go slower.

The stall speed is a characteristic of the air-frame, not the motor/prop. I don't see any way that 'upgrading' the motor/prop would allow the craft to go slower.

JasonK

Its an emax rs2205 2300kv
so that is a heavier motor then I was expecting, but it looks like you already had that figured in your mass. It should give better performance then the motor I picked to do the calculations. However, you might have a hard time getting your CG correct with the more massive motor (or possibly not given your whole airframe is more massive).

Sero

Elite member
My Mini Mustang weighs in at 265 without the battery, fly's great. Don't worry about it and just send it.

Fliegerjan

My Mighty Mini Corsair weighs 270g with an Emaxx 2204 (i think 2300 kv), a 6045 prop on 3s 850 mAh.
I goes vertical without limits.
It flies great.
I hope you'll have fun