Mini P-38

cabgraphics

I got the FT transport and the kits and extra radio gear to mess around with. I don't know much about differentiating propellers but its pretty slick! That little transport plane fly's amazingly well. The foam board kits are ok kinda goofy looking so I decided to scratch build one. I laid out and cut a P-38, as a chuck glider it worked so I mounted the radio, changed the props to the standard not the pushers and tadaa it doesn't fly! It balances with paint it weighs less than one of the foam board kits. I don't get it! I'm going to attach my corel file, someone try this and see what happens. My wing and elevator are on the same incidence as the blue print I of the original airplane, Should I have changed that? Is there just not enough wing for not having any kind of air foil?

97995521_279749769862663_6889639605964898304_n.jpg
99157937_246784143079652_2383823114044702720_n.jpg Ok I can't send a corel file so I'll save it as a PDF.

Attachments

• 98119647_2594394903998164_1679644967959527424_n.jpg
    98119647_2594394903998164_1679644967959527424_n.jpg
    777.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 100103111_1772746719540136_6907508654191149056_n.jpg
    100103111_1772746719540136_6907508654191149056_n.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • P-38 flite test 1.pdf
    380 KB · Views: 0
  • P-38 flite test 2.pdf
    378.5 KB · Views: 0
  • P-38 flite test 3.pdf
    385 KB · Views: 0
  • P-38 flite test 4.pdf
    380.5 KB · Views: 0

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I've done similar builds in the past, found best results by hand sanding the single sheet wing into an airfoil shape and reinforcing with packing tape...
20200524_221450.jpg

Or in this case, carbon fiber and packing tape...

Or sometimes a flite test style folded airfoil with the inner tape removed and the edges sanded to make a thinner wing...
15903806172368889937342563462097.jpg

Mr.Grinch

I think the control board needs to be in a vertical orientation. Having it horizontal could be causing it to not know how to control the motors.

cabgraphics

I think the control board needs to be in a vertical orientation. Having it horizontal could be causing it to not know how to control the motors.
Say that's a great idea. Coz it's a gyro as well right? I was thinking my battery holder on the thickest par6of the wing might be acting like a spoiler

cabgraphics

It just drops like a rock, a rock will fly if you throw it hard enough and even that's better😆
Say that's a great idea. Coz it's a gyro as well right? I was thinking my battery holder on the thickest par6of the wing might be acting like a spoiler
Looks pretty cool! I don't see why the airframe shouldn't work, can you describe what it does when you try to fly it?
I posted pdfs of my layouts so others can test it out as well. Give it a shot Jackson and thanks for your reply.

Mr.Grinch

I’m probably going to try it today too. I’ll reorient the board onto the fuselage and mess with the CG. I discovered with my little SeaChuck that the CG had to be on the back 1/3 of the wing to fly.

cabgraphics

I’m probably going to try it today too. I’ll reorient the board onto the fuselage and mess with the CG. I discovered with my little SeaChuck that the CG had to be on the back 1/3 of the wing to fly.

Unfortunately I have a few things to do today but I'm anxious to move the board and battery. I remember on the paper airplane episode they talked about how an extra strip of material on top of the wing, even though it's not a smooth air foil the wind goes over it like it is, so I'm considering that as well. Let me know how yours goes

Mr.Grinch

I built the P38 today.... i made the central pod double layered and I was able to get the thing to fly, but I couldn’t get it stable. Any time I tried to turn it would pretty much just tip stall and roll over. That may be my fault as I tried adding some airfoil that could have caused that issue since there was more curve at the root than the tip.

cabgraphics

I built the P38 today.... i made the central pod double layered and I was able to get the thing to fly, but I couldn’t get it stable. Any time I tried to turn it would pretty much just tip stall and roll over. That may be my fault as I tried adding some airfoil that could have caused that issue since there was more curve at the root than the tip.
Oh man that's encouraging though. Cool man cool!

Jackson T

Elite member
It just drops like a rock, a rock will fly if you throw it hard enough and even that's better😆
Does it pitch up or down when you throw it? Messing around with the centre of gravity (balance point), as well as adjusting the elevator trim should help things.
I posted pdfs of my layouts so others can test it out as well. Give it a shot Jackson and thanks for your reply.
I don't even have enough time for my own projects right now, so I probably won't be able to make one at this stage. I'm still at school, I've just started full scale flying lessons, and I'm applying for the Royal Australian Air Force, so I'm pretty busy! I just might have a go if I get a moment though, it's a good looking plane (y).

cabgraphics

Does it pitch up or down when you throw it? Messing around with the centre of gravity (balance point), as well as adjusting the elevator trim should help things.

I don't even have enough time for my own projects right now, so I probably won't be able to make one at this stage. I'm still at school, I've just started full scale flying lessons, and I'm applying for the Royal Australian Air Force, so I'm pretty busy! I just might have a go if I get a moment though, it's a good looking plane (y).
Yes I'd imagine you are busy, good luck and even though I'm not Australian thank you for your service. My Dad flew off of the USS Oriskany in the Korean war. He flew Corsairs, I have a couple pen and inks I did for him when I find the pictures I'll send them to you.

Jackson T

Elite member
Yes I'd imagine you are busy, good luck and even though I'm not Australian thank you for your service. My Dad flew off of the USS Oriskany in the Korean war. He flew Corsairs, I have a couple pen and inks I did for him when I find the pictures I'll send them to you.
Wow, that's really cool!

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
I got the FT transport and the kits and extra radio gear to mess around with. I don't know much about differentiating propellers but its pretty slick! That little transport plane fly's amazingly well. The foam board kits are ok kinda goofy looking so I decided to scratch build one. I laid out and cut a P-38, as a chuck glider it worked so I mounted the radio, changed the props to the standard not the pushers and tadaa it doesn't fly! It balances with paint it weighs less than one of the foam board kits. I don't get it! I'm going to attach my corel file, someone try this and see what happens. My wing and elevator are on the same incidence as the blue print I of the original airplane, Should I have changed that? Is there just not enough wing for not having any kind of air foil?

View attachment 169921 View attachment 169924 Ok I can't send a corel file so I'll save it as a PDF.
According to the FT EZ V build video, for the board to work properly, it should be mounted vertically, with the battery plug forward, and the LED to the bottom. It's aligned the same way in the Freighter, also.
2020-05-28 (2).png

Last edited:

Jackson T

Elite member
I made a smaller version of your P-38 out of a takeaway container today. It flew ok, but not perfect. It did fly though. If you check the rigging angles of the wing and horizontal stabiliser and play around with the CG, it should fly. How heavy is yours?
Are you ok with the video I made? Just thought I'd check with you.

cabgraphics

I made a smaller version of your P-38 out of a takeaway container today. It flew ok, but not perfect. It did fly though. If you check the rigging angles of the wing and horizontal stabiliser and play around with the CG, it should fly. How heavy is yours?
Are you ok with the video I made? Just thought I'd check with you.
Wow thats cool! I changed the board and moved my battery off of the wing, now it doesn't just dive into the ground it actually act like it wants to fly but after about 15 feet it stalls and and snaps to the left every time. I'm thinking there just isn't enough wing or if there was some airfoil it might have a chance , bummer!

Jackson T

Elite member
Wow thats cool! I changed the board and moved my battery off of the wing, now it doesn't just dive into the ground it actually act like it wants to fly but after about 15 feet it stalls and and snaps to the left every time. I'm thinking there just isn't enough wing or if there was some airfoil it might have a chance , bummer!
How heavy is it, and what's the wingspan?