Mini P-51 ESC Issue

Tom T

Finalizing my mini p51 and went to test motor rotation and I think I have an ESC issue. Using a fresh bound x6r, throttle lead into port 1 and a tattu 3s-850 @ 3.8 volts to test and all I get is twitching??? I did try and calibrate the ESC via the usual throttle on high then plug the pack in. But am getting the same result. This the first time I've powered it up. Bad ESC?

Attachments

• 20190316_083425.jpg
    20190316_083425.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Wildthing

Legendary member
Sure does sound like the esc, I would just hook up another esc any size just to test the motor and possibly eliminate the esc problem. Then I would re-solder all the bullet connectors, sometimes the factory soldering job is very poor causing bad connections.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I concur with the others here. Twitching is most often caused by a poor connection between the ESC and motor. Don't push it. Throttling up can burn up the ESC and/or motor. When you see twitching like that, cut the throttle and watch out for hot parts like the motor base.

Please Please take that prop off when working in your shop...

Beautiful P51. Did you use aluminum tape to make the D-Day stripes on the wings?

Welcome to FliteTest!

Tom T

Thanks all, I checked all the bullets and they are fine. The plane was a Christmas gift from an old friend who has passed now so I doubt I can get a replacement for it from Flite test as they are in Ohio but all their stuff comes from Amain out in California. It's not worth spending 20+ dollars to get a new one.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Looks can be deceiving, you want to actually re solder them . Search Banggood or Aliexpress and see what you can find for an esc, most of the time the shipping is free.

Tom T

I concur with the others here. Twitching is most often caused by a poor connection between the ESC and motor. Don't push it. Throttling up can burn up the ESC and/or motor. When you see twitching like that, cut the throttle and watch out for hot parts like the motor base.

Please Please take that prop off when working in your shop...

Beautiful P51. Did you use aluminum tape to make the D-Day stripes on the wings?

Welcome to FliteTest!

No, oldest daughter has a cricut machine and I had her cut the stripes and lettering. My flying buddy (who bought me the Christmas present) once built a small balsa glider, but he fabbed 2 left wings for it by mistake. So I made the lettering 2LW (2 left wings)

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Just re-melt the solder in the bullets and re-seal the connections.

I have to do this from time to time do to the shock of "landing". It's most likely a 10 minute fix.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
No, oldest daughter has a cricut machine and I had her cut the stripes and lettering. My flying buddy (who bought me the Christmas present) once built a small balsa glider, but he fabbed 2 left wings for it by mistake. So I made the lettering 2LW (2 left wings)

With such history, you have to get this beauty flying.

Have to... :)