Mini-Scout Biplane With Plans

Michael9865

Elite member
Here is my attempt to make a biplane out of the Flite Test Mini-Scout. The wing span is barely over 24" and 5 31/32" wide. I stretched the fuselage a little. I also changed and enlarged the tail feathers a little bit. The bottom wing has 1 43/64" of dihedral. The top wing has no dihedral, but is swept 7/8". I lowered the location where the bottom wing goes through the fuselage. The top wing is 4 5/64" above the bottom wing at the wing roots. Glide testing and flying show that the correct the CG is at the 1 7/8" mark behind the leading edge of the top wing.

The Biplane flew great at Flite Fest 2015 with a A2204-14 1400KV Brushless Motor and 2S 800mah battery, it even landed right on the runway like it was supposed to do. I need to lengthen the nose a little more since I had to add some weight to the nose of it. At Flite Fest the only "weights" I had with me was pocket change. So I taped the change to the nose and off it flew.

All in all I am very pleased with it. I have updated my plans with the adjusted CG and I also extended the nose section to eliminate the need for adding nose weight. I did not redraw the landing gear. I made the landing gear just as Josh explained in the Scout build video except I kicked them toward the nose about an inch to inch in a half. This coming winter I will build another biplane from the updated Beta plans. If anyone tries the Beta plans let me know if you find any errors or have any questions.

Mini-Scout Biplane Front Quarter View With Color.jpg

Mini-Scout Biplane Servo View.jpg

Mini-Scout Biplane Side View With Color.jpg

Mini-Scout Biplane Top View With Color.jpg

Mini-Scout Biplane Bottom View With Color.jpg

Mini Scout Bipe In Flight.jpg

View attachment Mini Scout Bipe II Beta.pdf

Last edited:

Michael9865

Elite member
Thank you all for the kind words/posts. I will post updates after my move, it is this weekend. I hope that my new hobby room/man cave will be up and operating by mid-September.

ttom

Micheal763,
I loved the look of this and had to build it. Here it is.
IMG_20150930_210623.jpg
Have added ailerons on lower wing driven by central 9g servo on a push pull (still messing with angles etc, so forgive wiggly wires - it all started so neatly too!). But they work well and evenly enough.
Flies lovely, graceful and easy. Had her on a 6040 but gone up to 7050 propeller (may cut down to 6 inch though).
Great design and a brilliant little flyer and glides a bit too - fantastic work and thank you.
Set up be1806 2300kv motor, 12a bheli esc (swap to ztw 20a later), now 7050 prop, 2x 4g 1x9g servo and 2s 1000mah.

IMG_20150930_210023.jpg
IMG_20150930_210650.jpg
Heavy english foam board though, but that seems to of made little difference.

Michael9865

Elite member
Micheal763,
I loved the look of this and had to build it. Here it is.

Have added ailerons on lower wing driven by central 9g servo on a push pull (still messing with angles etc, so forgive wiggly wires - it all started so neatly too!). But they work well and evenly enough.
Flies lovely, graceful and easy. Had her on a 6040 but gone up to 7050 propeller (may cut down to 6 inch though).
Great design and a brilliant little flyer and glides a bit too - fantastic work and thank you.
Set up be1806 2300kv motor, 12a bheli esc (swap to ztw 20a later), now 7050 prop, 2x 4g 1x9g servo and 2s 1000mah.

Heavy english foam board though, but that seems to of made little difference.

Awesome I'm so glad you like it. Thanks for sharing & your kind words. I hope that you have fun with it.

kacknor

Build another!
Oh yeah, this is on the build list. Really like my Mini Scout, this looks like a great modification. Thank you for posting!

RCman50

family, faith, foam, fun!
Hey Michael763, I'm almost done building and love this design. My ? If you or anyone else can help is how does the front turtle deck former get installed. The front one is the larger of the 4 I'm gathering but I can't quite make it out in your pics, to much white lol. If I'm missing something obvious I apologize. It looks like it is used to give downthrust? I could be way off, not sure. Thank you so much for the plan and any help. I love my scout, still flying, Christmas eve it'll be a year old believe it or not. Thank you again. Dustin

Michael9865

Elite member
Hey Michael763, I'm almost done building and love this design. My ? If you or anyone else can help is how does the front turtle deck former get installed. The front one is the larger of the 4 I'm gathering but I can't quite make it out in your pics, to much white lol. If I'm missing something obvious I apologize. It looks like it is used to give downthrust? I could be way off, not sure. Thank you so much for the plan and any help. I love my scout, still flying, Christmas eve it'll be a year old believe it or not. Thank you again. Dustin

Dustin,
The longer former is used to create the upper nose section of the plane and down thrust. Hope this helps.
Awesome that your Scout is still going. I hope that you have lots of hours of fun out your Mini-Scout Biplane also. If you can please share some photos of your completed plane. Thank you

Former Detail.jpg

RCman50

family, faith, foam, fun!
That clears it up thank you so much. Pics will come very soon. Love the look of this ship. Happy Holidays.
Dustin

Michael9865

Elite member
As I robbed the electronics from this biplane for my new biplane, I found out that I forgot to drill a relief hole behind the motor shaft. I am very fortunate that it did not ruin my motor. I could plainly see where the shaft had been rubbing. It actually burned a hole in the plywood from use.