Mini Scout Biplane

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I introduced the Mini Scout Biplane Prototype Number One (MSBP-X1 or Exsy) with an image and a maiden flight video on page 27 of this thread. I felt like further development risked hijacking the Mini Scout Newbie Challenge thread and so I am starting this one.

Before I moved on to the X2, I wanted to test the design with ailerons. This was accomplished by simply cutting them into the wings of the X1 and ironing the bevels. I also had to shore up the landing gear a bit. The X1a was born.

20190621_234328.jpg

The rain stayed away and though it was windy, we did get to fly the MSBP-X1a today! The video is three flights by my son and I, cropped and stitched together for time. We flew the heck out of that bird today, and it performed wonderfully and came home with zero damage.

Once again I could not be happier with the flights. It was pretty darn windy, and that little plane was an absolute blast to fly! Time for the next step.

The ailerons have been incorporated into the plans. The angles and mounting points have been modified on the struts, cabanes and wings. I've also lengthened the nose by another inch and changed the bottom plate to allow for both a stronger landing gear mount and the location for the aileron servo.

It's time to build the X2!

20190621_232935.jpg

Jimun

Elite member
Looking good. That wind was blowing pretty good. Kind of like a few times I have tried to fly. Glad you are enjoying your flights and planes with your son.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
The Mini Scout Biplane Prototype Number Two is a success! It flies beautifully! Increasing the nose length didn't eliminate the need for a little weight at the nose, but it did reduce the amount by half. I imagine a heavier motor in the front would make the necessary difference as well.

It was obvious on the first flight that I needed more nose weight, and I quickly landed it. After some tweaking, my son and I flew through a battery each before we ran out of time. I also wanted to get the Baby Blender in the air and our light was quickly fading.

Rather than posting ten minutes of X2 flight video, I'm posting two short excerpts.

This is with a 2205/2300kv motor, 3s 850mAh batt and a 6x3 prop. The motor and esc never really warmed, even though it was in the low nineties fahrenheit outside.

This is my flight:

This is my son's:

I couldn't be more pleased with the characteristics of that plane. It flies well fast and it flies well slow. It'll loop and roll and get crazy, or it'll cruise around nice and easy. It's easy to pull out of a mistake and very forgiving when you make one. For a biplane it has proven very robust and neither the X1 or X2 have been damaged outside of the landing gear wire bending.

I still had to tweak the build a bit from the plans I've made, but I think they're good enough that anyone who has built a couple FT planes can build the MSBP from the plans.

If there is interest, I'll make some notes on the plans where I had to tweak things, and post them up. The whole process of making a biplane out of the Mini Scout has been hugely rewarding. To top it all off, I've got a new favorite plane to fly! It really does fly awesome! :D

mayan

Legendary member
@buzzbomb how could I have missed this. Congrats! I am so happy for you with this build. I happy to see that you took a plane and turned it into something different and even more so that you have turned it into your new favorite plane. I am waiting to see what more you are capable of :).

kilroy07

Legendary member
The Mini Scout Biplane Prototype Number Two is a success! It flies beautifully! Increasing the nose length didn't eliminate the need for a little weight at the nose, but it did reduce the amount by half. I imagine a heavier motor in the front would make the necessary difference as well.

It was obvious on the first flight that I needed more nose weight, and I quickly landed it. After some tweaking, my son and I flew through a battery each before we ran out of time. I also wanted to get the Baby Blender in the air and our light was quickly fading.

Rather than posting ten minutes of X2 flight video, I'm posting two short excerpts.

This is with a 2205/2300kv motor, 3s 850mAh batt and a 6x3 prop. The motor and esc never really warmed, even though it was in the low nineties fahrenheit outside.

This is my flight:

This is my son's:

I couldn't be more pleased with the characteristics of that plane. It flies well fast and it flies well slow. It'll loop and roll and get crazy, or it'll cruise around nice and easy. It's easy to pull out of a mistake and very forgiving when you make one. For a biplane it has proven very robust and neither the X1 or X2 have been damaged outside of the landing gear wire bending.

I still had to tweak the build a bit from the plans I've made, but I think they're good enough that anyone who has built a couple FT planes can build the MSBP from the plans.

If there is interest, I'll make some notes on the plans where I had to tweak things, and post them up. The whole process of making a biplane out of the Mini Scout has been hugely rewarding. To top it all off, I've got a new favorite plane to fly! It really does fly awesome! :D
Awesome job man, congrats!

Jimun

Elite member

This is my flight:

This is my son's:

Great flying you 2. That was awesome. I think you are having way to much fun:LOL:. I need more practice to fly like that.

sundown57

Legendary member
Sure is a good looking plane. hopefully tomorrow ill get to try it out. Gonna fly it as a 3 channel first to get used to it then try adding in the ailerons

Attachments

• IMG_3899.JPG
    IMG_3899.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3900.JPG
    IMG_3900.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3901.JPG
    IMG_3901.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3902.JPG
    IMG_3902.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Sure is a good looking plane. hopefully tomorrow ill get to try it out. Gonna fly it as a 3 channel first to get used to it then try adding in the ailerons
That came out really good! I can't wait to see the maiden, and hear what you think of her! :D We're flying it with 30% expo and we go back and forth between low and high throws, depending. You'll probably need full elevator deflection at take off, but you'll figure it out. ;)

Captain Video

Forgive my ignorance of biplane design but why is there such a big gap between the upper and lower wings?
Will it still work with 2205 motor? and will a 1300 3s work?

chris398mx

Master member

This is my flight:

This is my son's:

Did you post the plans or did i just miss them somewhere? looks good.