Mini Scout Biplane

sundown57

Legendary member
Did you post the plans or did i just miss them somewhere? looks good.
I asked for them and buzzbomb sent me them. Not sure why he hasn't posted them in here yet.

Then again if we all tell him how great a plane it is and how good a job he did and we all want plans for it, his ego is going to totally explode and there will be less living with him then there is now.

Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Wind is at 4 MPH so even though it's close to 100 degrees I just had to try it out. Check it out, what a great plane to fly. Plan to take it out again tonight when the sun is a bit less intense.

I love it! Thank you for beta building my MSBP! It is indeed meant for 4ch. It's a completely different bird with ailerons. Though I lengthened the tail and increased the height of the rudder/vertical stabilizer, I did not increase the length of either the rudder or the elevator. It would be a more effective 3ch flier with bigger tail surfaces.

It was so cool to see someone else's video of a plane only my son and I have flown. It was a pretty good feeling. Thank you for that. :)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Forgive my ignorance of biplane design but why is there such a big gap between the upper and lower wings?
Will it still work with 2205 motor? and will a 1300 3s work?
When I was in the design phase I did a little research. I found a rule of thumb that in order for the high/low pressure area of each wing not to interfere with each other, they should be at least one wing chord apart. Hence the huge gap. I still think it looks goofy/cool, but I can't argue with how it flies!

We've been flying with a 2205 F-Pack or equivalent and 850mAh 3s batts. That combo still needs a bit of nose weight. A 1300mAh might just balance it perfectly.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Did you post the plans or did i just miss them somewhere? looks good.
@sundown57 was kind enough to beta build for me, so I emailed the plans to him. I should be able to finalize and post them in the next couple of days. I'm glad you interested in it. I think it's a great plane, and I'm pretty excited about seeing other people flying it as well. :)

Brianna81

I have a coworker who offered to do full size plans for me if I wanted to have any printed. I've just paid extra for the speed build kits as they do come with all the little extras you need, and I used those on my DTFB plane, saving the nice FT laser cut parts for future use. But, I may have to give this biplane a try. Did you use 5G or will 9G servos work on this? I have quite a few extra 9G servos I could use, otherwise I'd have to buy more 5G.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I have a coworker who offered to do full size plans for me if I wanted to have any printed. I've just paid extra for the speed build kits as they do come with all the little extras you need, and I used those on my DTFB plane, saving the nice FT laser cut parts for future use. But, I may have to give this biplane a try. Did you use 5G or will 9G servos work on this? I have quite a few extra 9G servos I could use, otherwise I'd have to buy more 5G.
I used 5g servos. I think it'd be fine with 9gram. The only issue would be the single servo for the ailerons, since it barely fits. You'd have to notch the wing in the center or finagle a way to make it sit in.

There's a picture of the bottom of the plane over here so you can see what I mean. It's a real simple build. You can follow the build video for the Mini Scout for the fuselage and then the wings and struts just glue on. I'll post more information about it when I put the plans up. :)

Brianna81

I used 5g servos. I think it'd be fine with 9gram. The only issue would be the single servo for the ailerons, since it barely fits. You'd have to notch the wing in the center or finagle a way to make it sit in.

There's a picture of the bottom of the plane over here so you can see what I mean. It's a real simple build. You can follow the build video for the Mini Scout for the fuselage and then the wings and struts just glue on. I'll post more information about it when I put the plans up. :)

So, get the plans for the mini scout and just build it with second wing without the ailerons cut out? Though looking at your pictures, it looks more like you used a 4 channel wing for the bottom and a 3 channel wing for the top :)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
So, get the plans for the mini scout and just build it with second wing without the ailerons cut out? Though looking at your pictures, it looks more like you used a 4 channel wing for the bottom and a 3 channel wing for the top :)
Oh, no. I massively modified the Mini Scout plans. I moved the wing from the center to the bottom, lengthened the tail by over an inch, lengthened the nose by two inches, increased the height of the vertical stabilizer, redesigned the bottom plate, increased the size of the notch in the bottom wing to accommodate said plate, etc.

It's just that the basic build process remains the same, and you can follow the video to form the fuselage and make the wings. You are right in that only the bottom wing has ailerons. Later down the road I might add some to the top, just to see what it will do, but they're far from necessary.

Brianna81

The plans are now live in the Resource section!

Link To Plans

:)

Ok, so I don't see a recommendation for what type of turtle we should use on the turtle deck? Red eared slider, tortoise, snapping? I've heard of some weird ways to achieve balancing CG, but that's a new one :D I'm going to have to go look up what that means, since I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with actual turtles

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Such a wonderful plane. This is what I wrote on the youtube post. If you've been following, you'll get it.

"Rescued from the vile clutches of the Reeking Death Reeds, in the evil swamp of Nearly a Foot Deep, the MSBP flies again!" Yep. It was all that. It's so awesome that I designed a plane that takes me from simple circuits to going crazy.

She's allowing me to start doing the fun stuff. A loop, too close to the ground, at way to low a throttle? We just did that. She is just fine. She would have went up again, if I'd had another battery for her.