Mini Scout came out nose-heavy

cbf123

I just built the Mini Scout from water-resistent Adams foamboard, with 4.3g servos and an 1806 motor and it came out nose-heavy with a 650mAh 2s battery as far back as possible.

The build video says to put the servos as far forwards as possible, I think it might make more sense to move them as far *back* as possible, which would allow moving the receiver further back as well..

Attachments

• IMG_20210912_213706500.jpg
    IMG_20210912_213706500.jpg
    405 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210912_214319580.jpg
    IMG_20210912_214319580.jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210912_214745663.jpg
    IMG_20210912_214745663.jpg
    477.4 KB · Views: 0

Michael9865

Elite member
I just built the Mini Scout from water-resistent Adams foamboard, with 4.3g servos and an 1806 motor and it came out nose-heavy with a 650mAh 2s battery as far back as possible.

The build video says to put the servos as far forwards as possible, I think it might make more sense to move them as far *back* as possible, which would allow moving the receiver further back as well..

According to your title you say that your Mini Scout is tail heavy, but your actual post says that it is nose heavy, which is it?

If nose heavy, it looks like you can push the power pod into the body. Make sure that your propeller moves freely.

If tail heavy, it looks like you can pull the power pod forward some. Make sure that the back power pod skewer is still holding the pod. If that doesn’t get you to the correct CG you can bend the landing gear a little forward.

Hopefully one of these recommendations will help. Good luck.

cbf123

Oh crap...it was nose heavy. Now it's gonna be confusing. Will have to see about getting the title changed.

The power pod is pushed all the way in and is bumping up against the wings. I might be able to shorten the power pod a little bit though.

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
Of it's only a bit nose heavy(a half inch inch or less front of the indicated cg), don't even worry about it but if it's grossly nose heavy(roughly 1/2+" in front of indicated cg), you could just put some weight in the tail. The scout can handle the little weight it'll take to balance.

Flightspeed

Convicted Necroposter
And it would only take a touch of weight on the tail to fix it, half an ounce is a lot of the time all it takes.

Byrdman

Mine came in a little nose heavy too. I put the batt above the LG and my servos are on the outside under the trailing edge of the wing. The next one will have them moved even further back.