Mini Scout is Brilliant.

basslord1124

Master member
I'm just going to pretend I didn't stumble upon this thread. :oops:

See, while I think the Scout is a neat looking and appears to be a fun little plane, I always tended to steer away from the mini series b/c of the issue of wind. Not to say that it's super windy where I'm from...we can have some calm days but it can pick up between 5-10mph sometimes...especially at our RC field. BUT, hearing the praises of it, makes me want to push it higher on the list. :p:D Just notice it was a single sheet of foamboard too which is nice.

So lets see...FT Edge, Bushwhacker, Mini Scout, Racer, Spitfire, Mustang...maybe in that order. :unsure:

d8veh

Elite member
This plane can go so fast that it doesn't know which way the wind is blowing. It can go straight up faster than most planes can go down, but the best thing about it is that it can fly fairly slow as well.

basslord1124

Master member
Sounds good @d8veh . Of course I just remembered too, they have a bigger version of the Scout too. Although, I could still just go with the Mini for starters. We are at my wife's aunt's house quite a bit and they have a decent backyard perfect for smaller RC planes.

jaredstrees

The mini version is more fun, basslord. I've built both. Didn't really care for the larger version. Way to floaty for my liking. The mini is a great size to throw in the car, and with ailerons added is a pretty capable flier. And I agree, wish I hadn't seen this thread, now I'm itching to build another, and I've got lots of planes I already want to build as well!

d8veh

Elite member
I have the full size Scout too, but I'd say in that size range, the Sportster is better. It's more interesting to fly - sort of more of a 3D plane, though not as good in the wind because it's slower. Maybe it's just the way I built my Simple Scout, and another one might be better. It flies OK, but it doesn't hit the G-spot with me, like the Sportster does.

basslord1124

Master member
I've already downloaded and printed the plans for the Mini Scout and watching some of the build video. Looks like a super easy build too. Very few pieces. Those doing 4 channel do you still have the dihedral on the wings or do you make it a flat wing? I'm gonna probably go right to 4 channel with it.

jaredstrees

I used dihedral but less than called for. I don't remember exactly but I think I about halved it. She would fly fine if you don't change it, and probably so even flat, but I wanted a little more stability back when I built it.

Gazoo

I've already downloaded and printed the plans for the Mini Scout and watching some of the build video. Looks like a super easy build too. Very few pieces. Those doing 4 channel do you still have the dihedral on the wings or do you make it a flat wing? I'm gonna probably go right to 4 channel with it.
On the Mini-Scout that I built with ailerons, I used the same dihedral as without (normal). It was still only three channel though. No rudder. It flew great with throttle/ailerons/elevator. The aileron servo was mounted in the fuse around where the rudder servo was supposed to be. Then the ailerons were controlled through some linkage and torsion wires.

Sadly, a tree grabbed it out of the air with its dirty stinking branches...
scout tree.JPG

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
On the Mini-Scout that I built with ailerons, I used the same dihedral as without (normal). It was still only three channel though. No rudder. It flew great with throttle/ailerons/elevator. The aileron servo was mounted in the fuse around where the rudder servo was supposed to be. Then the ailerons were controlled through some linkage and torsion wires.

Sadly, a tree grabbed it out of the air with its dirty stinking branches...
View attachment 119455
I'm not sure, but I don't think the tail surfaces are supposed to be angled in that direction. If that's where they started, that might have been the problem... :unsure::LOL: Also, you seem to have a tree that both eats, and grows plane parts. Interesting. Well, if it's going to eat your plane, at least it's kind enough to grow you what looks like wing part on a lower branch. (y)

Gazoo

This is why posting a simple picture is so useful. Others can spot a building error that you may have overlooked at first.

This was one of the early planes in the Pablo Piccaso series. Subsequent designs did not fare as well.

🤣🤣🤣

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
OK. I've been inspired by this post and have a new mini-scout in the works. Let's do this! Let's see the mini-scouts!
Alright! If you haven't seen it, I've a build thread up here:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/first-scratch-build.55846/page-10#post-443044

I start going off topic about page seven. The build is not quite complete, but neither is my TT. It might be of some help just to see where I screwed up.

I'm focusing on some sim time at the moment. Completion of my TT and maiden/destruction is next. Depending on how well that goes, I'm either taking up the Mini Scout, or building another TT. Problem is, I can't wait to get the Mini Scout into the air. Can't wait to see your build.