Mini Scout is Brilliant.

Gazoo

Pieces are cut and taped in orange. Turtle deck will be blue.

Attachments

• 20181208_161334.jpg
    20181208_161334.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0

basslord1124

Master member
Got a head start and been printing out the plans and cutting foam. Probably be gluing some of the airframe this evening. It could be after a paycheck or two before I can get some electronics though.

d8veh

Elite member
The madness has begun. Like I said, it still could be a little while before I have electronics.
If you can, get someof the very small servos. The lighter weight gives a wider flying envelope and it's easier to work the ailerons because you can just glue them under the wings and use a direct linkage.

basslord1124

Master member
@d8veh ...yeah I was planning on getting the small (probably 5g) servos. Help keep the weight down. I normally stock up on 9G servos but perhaps I should stock up on 5g ones too. I have some pretty thin pushrod wire too that I sort of got by mistake and thinking I may never have a use for it...well I may have a use for it now. :)

@Gazoo ...yup planning on going 4 channel.

Gazoo

@d8veh ...yeah I was planning on getting the small (probably 5g) servos. Help keep the weight down. I normally stock up on 9G servos but perhaps I should stock up on 5g ones too. I have some pretty thin pushrod wire too that I sort of got by mistake and thinking I may never have a use for it...well I may have a use for it now. :)

@Gazoo ...yup planning on going 4 channel.
Nice. Air frame done. Electronics to come soon. I'd like to see what everyone else does for ailerons. I cut the ailerons in but not sure of the best way to actuate them.

Attachments

• 20181215_203717.jpg
    20181215_203717.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Nice. Air frame done. Electronics to come soon. I'd like to see what everyone else does for ailerons. I cut the ailerons in but not sure of the best way to actuate them.
That's a beautiful bird. I especially like the front grill. Well done.

Gazoo

You can see my ailerons in post #1.
I did see how you mounted the servos. Last time I used a single servos with torsion rods to actuate the ailerons. I'm just thinking of ways to keep the weight down using only three servos.

With the torsion system and no rudder, it was using only two servos but I missed having a rudder sometimes.

Still thinking it through I guess.

basslord1124

Master member
@Mode 1 ...I just think it's totally awesome that you fly combat with yours. And if something does break, it can be repaired within a day.

I got my wing together over the weekend...still gotta cut the bevel for the ailerons and put on the posterboard piece. I'll probably wait til after the 1st of the year to order my electronics. Ya know, with these latest builds I've been doing it seems like each one is getting easier and requires less pieces of foam. First was the Long EZ and now the Mini Scout.

Mode 1

@Mode 1 ...I just think it's totally awesome that you fly combat with yours. And if something does break, it can be repaired within a day.

I got my wing together over the weekend...still gotta cut the bevel for the ailerons and put on the posterboard piece. I'll probably wait til after the 1st of the year to order my electronics. Ya know, with these latest builds I've been doing it seems like each one is getting easier and requires less pieces of foam. First was the Long EZ and now the Mini Scout.
I think it's just about the perfect plane for combat. As you mentioned these can be repaired so easily. I had two new wings built within a couple of hours of getting home from that session. I'd like to build one with ailerons eventually.

Last edited:

d8veh

Elite member
I think it's just about the perfect plane for combat. As you mentioned these can be repaired so easily. I had two new wings built within a couple of hours of getting home from that session. I'd like to build one with ailerons eventually.
Go for it. If you build a light one with 3.7g servos and a tiny race motor, you can do some crazy things, and every time you go low throttle, it flies like a trainer. You get a massive flying envelope, like a trainer, pattern ship, fun-fly and 3D plane all in one.

Reactions: FDS