Mini Scout is Brilliant.

OliverW

Legendary member
Just joined the scout club. 😃 The ugly duckling!! 😆 3ch with the a-pack and a 2s 800mah. Spent the evening building it. Maiden tomorrow or Monday 🤞

Attachments

• 20190119_213519.jpg
    20190119_213519.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Just joined the scout club. 😃 The ugly duckling!! 😆 3ch with the a-pack and a 2s 800mah. Spent the evening building it. Maiden tomorrow or Monday 🤞
Ooh, what!!?? It's gorgeous! Darn it, now I'm jealous. I want to fly my Mini Scout so much! Please tell me you'll have video. :D

OliverW

Legendary member
Ooh, what!!?? It's gorgeous! Darn it, now I'm jealous. I want to fly my Mini Scout so much! Please tell me you'll have video. :D
I hope I will have video.
And thanks! I feel like it could have had a better paint job. I have little painting skill. And this thing weighs nothing at all! Perfectly balanced without any additional weight!

Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I hope! And thanks! I feel like it could have had a better paint job. I have little painting skill. And this thing weighs nothing at all! Perfectly balanced without any additional weight!
In my experience on this forum, I've decided there a few types of members of this family. Those who leech, those who try to fly whatever they've glued together, those that build amazing planes and fly, and those who simply like to build amazing airplanes.

There is one other. There is one other class of person on this forum. What they do is build it. Make it the best they can, even if it takes multiple tries and it doesn't look good. Then they fly it. That's me. It's also a whole lot of other people here.

You're build is awesome! It's beautiful. I say just put it into the air and video it, so we can share your experience.

OliverW

Legendary member
In my experience on this forum, I've decided there a few types of members of this family. Those who leech, those who try to fly whatever they've glued together, those that build amazing planes and fly, and those who simply like to build amazing airplanes.

There is one other. There is one other class of person on this forum. What they do is build it. Make it the best they can, even if it takes multiple tries and it doesn't look good. Then they fly it. That's me. It's also a whole lot of other people here.

You're build is awesome! It's beautiful. I say just put it into the air and video it, so we can share your experience.
I agree about the members, I just try to make an airplane that looks OK and hope it flies well! Thank you for saying it is beautiful. If the rain stops today, she will fly. But if not, tomorrow is supposed to be sunny!

OliverW

Legendary member
IT FLEW GREAT!!! No wind, just a smidgeon of rain. It floated off the ground like it was on a cloud and went SUPER slow. It had too much elevator and couldn't turn so well in that parking lot. My dad wanted me to fly it there instead of the field. It touched down then the wheel pulled off from the coffee stirrer. Video is uploading to YouTube

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Wow! That was an awesome flight! I would have been terrified to fly in that little parking lot, and you handled it like a pro. It's amazing to me how your Mini Scout absolutely floated through the air, and then... You landed it! Completely nailed the landing. Spectacular. Just spectacular. Well done and congratulations! Three thumbs up! (y)(y)(y)

OliverW

Legendary member
Wow! That was an awesome flight! I would have been terrified to fly in that little parking lot, and you handled it like a pro. It's amazing to me how your Mini Scout absolutely floated through the air, and then... You landed it! Completely nailed the landing. Spectacular. Just spectacular. Well done and congratulations! Three thumbs up! (y)(y)(y)
Thank you! I flew in the parking lot one other time and hit a pole. The landing I was super nervous for. But the forgiving nature of the scout caused it to float in with no bounce! My dad did not get most of it but the tail was still in the air when it flipped. My dad is still wanting me to do aerobatics with it! It is definitely not that kind of plane. It is the everybody's airplane!

OliverW

Legendary member
I took the scout out today, I broke the wheel on the first attempt. Fixed it,took it to the paved area next to a playground at the school you guys saw me fly at. Half throttle and she rose off in about 20 ft. I had much more area to play around with because I could fly over the field. I did a hammerhead, then a loop! Never will do that again. I enjoyed just cruising under half throttle for most of the 2 flights.

basslord1124

Master member
Did some work to mine last night...Cut out aileron control surfaces and got servos and linkages in place. Motor and ESC came in, got a little bit of soldering to do first. I'll post pics later.

FastCrash45

Elite member
I'm about to receive my Mighty Mini Scout. I already know I'm putting ailerons on it. Now the big question, I'm on fixed income and the smallest motor i have is an 1800kv 2212 motor. If I add more thrust angle and with the extra weight of 2 more servos will this work or will i just live up to my screen name of FastCrash45? I will also have a 3 axis gyro installed. I live in the middle of NOWHERE so calm days are 5+mph winds. All recommendations on props and batteries are heavily encouraged!!!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I'm about to receive my Mighty Mini Scout. I already know I'm putting ailerons on it. Now the big question, I'm on fixed income and the smallest motor i have is an 1800kv 2212 motor. If I add more thrust angle and with the extra weight of 2 more servos will this work or will i just live up to my screen name of FastCrash45? I will also have a 3 axis gyro installed. I live in the middle of NOWHERE so calm days are 5+mph winds. All recommendations on props and batteries are heavily encouraged!!!
That motor is a similar size to the FT B pack so it might work better for the simple scot (the larger one)

FastCrash45

Elite member
That motor is a similar size to the FT B pack so it might work better for the simple scot (the larger one)
Yeah I figured it was for the bigger planes but the fixed income for the next couple months due to weather and electric and propane costs didn't allow the extra cost of a new motor. I have all the speed controls and enough 5 and 9 gram servos to build a fleet with radios. Just couldn't swing the motor. Just the plane.

FastCrash45

Elite member
I also have the GWS geared motor for the original Slow Stick still new in the box. It's the smallest one they made

FastCrash45

Elite member
I was just about to break out my powder scale, change it to grams, and weigh all my motors. If any come out to 15-25 grams i think that would work. I know that gws with the gearing is well over the 30 gram mark.