Mini Scout is Brilliant.

basslord1124

Master member
Got my 2nd flight in recently.

Still has a bad tendency to go left, although not as bad. Did a glide test prior to the flight and it was actually very good. Went right where I pointed it. So I'm thinking I may need to adjust the motor thrust angle. At the end of the flight after I had trimmed it as best I could. Both rudder and aileron's right trim was in the mid 40s (using a Spektrum DX6).

FastCrash45

Elite member

Still has a bad tendency to go left, although not as bad. Did a glide test prior to the flight and it was actually very good. Went right where I pointed it. So I'm thinking I may need to adjust the motor thrust angle. At the end of the flight after I had trimmed it as best I could. Both rudder and aileron's right trim was in the mid 40s (using a Spektrum DX6).
I was given DX5e. I know now why he has it to me. Idiot dumped super glue on the trim button for the ailerons!! I have to use the rudder channel on thr throttle side. In the long run it will be a good thing when I switch to 4 channel flyers. Receiver is bad for my 4 channel so waiting to fix that soon. I do hsve a couple regular 72m fm radios but with the way things are that could be a glitchy and twitchy idea.

basslord1124

Master member
I was given DX5e. I know now why he has it to me. Idiot dumped super glue on the trim button for the ailerons!! I have to use the rudder channel on thr throttle side. In the long run it will be a good thing when I switch to 4 channel flyers. Receiver is bad for my 4 channel so waiting to fix that soon. I do hsve a couple regular 72m fm radios but with the way things are that could be a glitchy and twitchy idea.

If you dont care, I'd remove all power from it and try a little bit of acetone. Acetone will break down super glue. But like you said, that is a good teaching tool so you can transition to 4 channel.

FastCrash45

Elite member
If you dont care, I'd remove all power from it and try a little bit of acetone. Acetone will break down super glue. But like you said, that is a good teaching tool so you can transition to 4 channel.
I think I'd have to take the trim button out and soak it. That glue looks like it went deep. I'll just train myself to use the rudder on the actual rudder channel. Mighty as well since I should be going 4 channel soon. If I ever get a day to fly that is😐

Arcfyre

Elite member
I feel like I must be in the minority, preferring the full sized scout to the mini.

I will say this though. Of all the minis I've built (mustang, corsair, scout) the scout flies the best.

FastCrash45

Elite member
I feel like I must be in the minority, preferring the full sized scout to the mini.

I will say this though. Of all the minis I've built (mustang, corsair, scout) the scout flies the best.
I like hearing that. Makes me feel like I got a chance of flying again after 30yrs

slipshift

Can you get a replacement trim button? Seems like that is the best way to go. Soak plastic in acetone you might end up with a gooey mess.

Jim

FastCrash45

Elite member
Can you get a replacement trim button? Seems like that is the best way to go. Soak plastic in acetone you might end up with a gooey mess.

Jim
Problem with that is they are dicontinued. I've got a request in to spektrum about it. Just waiting for a reply. I haven't tried the acetone soak for exactly the reason you said. It will turn it into a gob of goo

buzzbomb

I know nothing!

Alright! I love your flying style. Nary a straight line in it! I've got launch at 0:26 and landing at 3:18. Total flight time, two minutes and fifty-two seconds! Time to update the LeaderBoard! (y)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I'll just train myself to use the rudder on the actual rudder channel. Mighty as well since I should be going 4 channel soon.
I don't remember when I switched over, but that's how I've been flying for a bit. Sort of made sense. My son flew his first two flights that way. I didn't even tell him. :sneaky:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!

Nah, it's not a preference thing. I had A-Packs and then built the Mini Scout, threw a challenge out to mayan and he opened it to the world. We're just having fun with it.

OliverW

Legendary member
Mine has been up in a tree for a month and 6 days..... it has been up there so long the tree grew around it! It is about 50 feet up.
15587102102336870991176964901408.jpg

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I found this thread in a search for anything Mini Scout, considering this is the only plane I have actually flown I'm thinking I might stick with the good luck train and built a new one. Actually seeing a lot of threads raving about the Mini Scout, not that I can disagree given my past experience with it. The biplane buzzbomb made looked cool and inspired me to do the same to the Mini speedster. Scouts are so adaptable, so I made a few changes from the original design (which is what I first built). Check it out:
20190807_111734.jpg

I skipped out on the scallops on the trailing edges of the wings and stabs, I am more for functionality then scale looks, and extended the LE of the vstab for a more aerodynamic look. Red turtle decks are the same as what I had before, kinda like it... real Canadian eh!
20190807_111844.jpg

Moved the servos from inside to the outside, same setup as it did with the Baby Blender with the single cockpit. I like this for ease of service for any reason, and the fuse is fully boxed in so this just made sense. Plus upon initial testing I did have a bit of deflection bending of the control rod for the elevator on the down stroke so it was easy to see, hence put in the zip tie guide to correct.
20190807_111809.jpg

Eliminated the front former all together, just pulled the front turtle deck flat... I kinda like the look of the turtle deck transitioning from flat to curved compound profile, something about it. Once the PP was installed I noticed there was just enough room for one thickness of FB between the PP and the LE of the wing, so I installed a small impact pad in the middle to take some crash loading to protect the wing, (last MS I flew did take some hits and pushed the PP into the LE and damaged it unnoticed, which on a later flight folded the wing). Maybe this will help. Further back off the bottom plate is where I mount the Rx from the bottom of the fuse as illustrated in the next pic...
20190807_111859.jpg

This is something that I am doing to all my planes now, as I've mentioned in other threads. Just helps with any LOS problems. I know my PP skewers are crooked, still functional. Gotta love self imposed OCD lol. Speaking of a clean look, one thing in a different thread that really got my attention was the ironing the edges of the FB for a cleaner look and strength. Seen that and was pricing out irons this morning, sharp idea. If you look closely at my builds I reinforce the edges with a bead of hot glue and squeegee them down with a notched gift card. this can get messy and sometimes you have to work fast on the smoothing part then go back over it with the tip of the hot glue gun to smooth it out further. the ironing technique looks like it wouldn't take any more time then what i'm currently doing plus it's results are cleaner, and more versatile with using it on rounding LE, tapering TE and replacing the need to cut 45 degree bevels. Hell yeah I'm on it like a fat kid on a smartie. Just sayin!

Hopefully I get to maiden this and the redesigned TT I just recently put together today. Wind seems slight on a sunny day but the ground is wet at the moment. Tonight will be a better time and I'll try to get some video. Keep it shiny side up

basslord1124

Master member
I'm the king of crooked BBQ skewers. Overall looks very good @BATTLEAXE . It's funny you did the turtle deck flat up front to curved in the back...I had actually thought of doing that with my updated Scout. BUT, on second thought, I may just not even add the turtle deck. So it'll be one or the other (I'm slowly working on a speedier bank & yank version).

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I'm the king of crooked BBQ skewers. Overall looks very good @BATTLEAXE . It's funny you did the turtle deck flat up front to curved in the back...I had actually thought of doing that with my updated Scout. BUT, on second thought, I may just not even add the turtle deck. So it'll be one or the other (I'm slowly working on a speedier bank & yank version).
Keep me posted on that bank and yank Scout you are working on. I'm seeing so many people adding ailerons to the Mini. I would like to see how you are making it happen. Are you building it now or is it still in the brainbox phase?

Just had a sweet maiden on mine. Waiting for the video to download from phone to the laptop, will post soon.