Mini Scout, UK Heavy Westfoam

I've got a few sheets of Westfoam FB hanging around and fancy making my 1st Mini.
I've had great success with other FT models after few mods to save/distribute weight to counteract tail heaviness, so im wondering if anyone has had any luck with making Mini series planes with heavier FB.
I,m guessing removing paper, light electrics etc etc any help will be brill or should i just build with lighter extruded foam? (depron)

messyhead

I've not tried the mini series as I thought that FB would be too heavy. I tried making a small chuck glider with it, and it didn't fly.

The two planes I've made with it, have all been modified to account for the weight.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I've got a few sheets of Westfoam FB hanging around and fancy making my 1st Mini.
I've had great success with other FT models after few mods to save/distribute weight to counteract tail heaviness, so im wondering if anyone has had any luck with making Mini series planes with heavier FB.
I,m guessing removing paper, light electrics etc etc any help will be brill or should i just build with lighter extruded foam? (depron)
I used heavy electronics and a large battery in my mini scout and it handled the weight just fine. The only issue I had was the wings folding. Bend a piece of pushrod wire to the correct dihedral angle and glue it into the crease of the wing when building the wing. That will keep your wings from folding.

I used heavy electronics and a large battery in my mini scout and it handled the weight just fine. The only issue I had was the wings folding. Bend a piece of pushrod wire to the correct dihedral angle and glue it into the crease of the wing when building the wing. That will keep your wings from folding.

Thanks for the tip, i was guessing the wing would need a bit more support coz its going to be a heavy bird, ive posted the same question on the TF fans facebook page and got a few motors/battery suggestions so ive cut out the Scout and ready to glue ;0)

I've not tried the mini series as I thought that FB would be too heavy. I tried making a small chuck glider with it, and it didn't fly.

The two planes I've made with it, have all been modified to account for the weight.

Ive built a load of Nerdnic,s chuck gliders for the Grankids with Westfoam they fly well, i love the Chuckstang, but needs parcel tape coz the rear Fuse is a weak point, just need a tiny bit more nose weight for penetration, all my medium size FT planes are nose extented coz they tend to be tall heavy.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I participated in a forum mini scout challenge using the heavy FB locally available.

TO decrease the weight I removed the paper inside of the fuselage and positioned the servos further forward.

I fitted a 3S 850 battery and get a flight time of well in excess of 10 minutes without a single issue.

Just what worked for me!

Have fun!

I participated in a forum mini scout challenge using the heavy FB locally available.

TO decrease the weight I removed the paper inside of the fuselage and positioned the servos further forward.

I fitted a 3S 850 battery and get a flight time of well in excess of 10 minutes without a single issue.

Just what worked for me!

Have fun!

Can you tell me what motor, prop, esc would you suggest Hai ?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Can you tell me what motor, prop, esc would you suggest Hai ?
I just used the three channle setup with qty 2, 3.7 gram servos, a 10 amp ESC and a 2205c 1400 Kv motor, (all removed from defunct trainer models. The battery was a 3S 850 as previously mentioned and I could have got greater airtime but after 10 minutes I started getting somewhat bored and started giving it stick.

As the motor I used an take a 9x5 prop I think I used an 8x5 fro the flight.

After th eflight I stripped the electircs out of the plane and gave it to a spectator. The spectator later became a student and a club member!

Have fun!

I just used the three channle setup with qty 2, 3.7 gram servos, a 10 amp ESC and a 2205c 1400 Kv motor, (all removed from defunct trainer models. The battery was a 3S 850 as previously mentioned and I could have got greater airtime but after 10 minutes I started getting somewhat bored and started giving it stick.

As the motor I used an take a 9x5 prop I think I used an 8x5 fro the flight.

After th eflight I stripped the electircs out of the plane and gave it to a spectator. The spectator later became a student and a club member!

Have fun!

Thanks for the great advice I've come back into he hobby after retirment to find electric it the new kid on the block. I'm slowly getting my head around things thanks to knowledgeable people like yourself. Thank you !