Mini Scout v2 Speed Racer - Perkyplanes/basslord1124 style!

basslord1124

Master member
Yeah I have seen a few in the states getting their first snows. I suppose one just gets used to that weather...what are your warmer days like?

Right now we are 93 which is a unseasonably hot for us. The warm/hot temps for us should be gone for us now and we should be starting to cool down to like 50s-70s. Especially since October is almost here. Our first snows don't usually happen til mid-late November. But here the past years snows have been coming later and later...like starting to reach into late December and January. So, we may have a month or 2 of cold temps and no snow. It's weird.

Yeah the Edge does make me nervous. I have decided that for some planes I am going to add at least a little bit of color before the maiden. That way it'll help me with orientation. I have started painting my Edge today.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Yeah I have seen a few in the states getting their first snows. I suppose one just gets used to that weather...what are your warmer days like?

Right now we are 93 which is a unseasonably hot for us. The warm/hot temps for us should be gone for us now and we should be starting to cool down to like 50s-70s. Especially since October is almost here. Our first snows don't usually happen til mid-late November. But here the past years snows have been coming later and later...like starting to reach into late December and January. So, we may have a month or 2 of cold temps and no snow. It's weird.

Yeah the Edge does make me nervous. I have decided that for some planes I am going to add at least a little bit of color before the maiden. That way it'll help me with orientation. I have started painting my Edge today.
I don't know if you know the conversions from Fahrenheit to Celsius but 30 degrees Celsius here is on the hotter side. 35 degrees Celsius would be about body temperature for a reference. Or temps will swing from -40, (which i here is close to your -40) in winter, to 35 degrees Celsius in 6 months, easy. Sun will set at around 11PM in the summer solstice, winter we are lucky to have sun at 4-5PM. Its weather extremes in Alberta. Winter storms will last for days dumping 2' of snow to tornadoes in the heat of summer. Thunder storms can be crazy too.

What is your paint scheme going to be on the Edge, the obligatory blue and yellow?

The orientation thing really helps. I once painted my Bloody Wonder the same on the top as the bottom and that was my big mistake I learned from.

basslord1124

Master member
I know about the conversion...usually I plug it into Google if I need to know. Wow, sun set at 11pm....that's crazy! During summer's peak, sunset for us goes about as late as 9PM. Since summer is winding down (although it still feels like it today), it gets earlier...today it will be at 7:14PM. Multi-feet snowfalls don't happen much for us anymore. Now it's a dusting or a few inches.

As for the Edge paint scheme...First of all, no flames. Color will mainly be black alternating with yellow. I plan to do almost the entire bottom in yellow. Nose/cowl will be yellow.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Black and yellow, Bumble Bee style? That's kinda what I am going to do with the new Scout, flat black and tallow and white pinstriping, not like a bee though, more Rat Rod. The floats will have a good amount of yellow though.

What's your plans for the Speed racer mini scout?

basslord1124

Master member
Yeah, kinda bumble bee style. When I was getting the colors, wife thought I was making it a batman plane lol.

As for the Scout, think I'm just gonna reinforce/fix any fuse damage I see (which I don't believe is much at all), rebuild the wing, and toss it back up.

PoorManRC

Master member
GOOD ideas! The Edge demands a bold, in your face paint job. Can't wait to see it! 😁

CAN'T wait to be able to do my version of the "Docile Edge"...

Your Mini Scout seems to be tough as nails. I can see her later on... EVERY panel wrinkled - and still FLYING!! 😮😆😂

I really wish I could afford Carbon Fiber Rods... What a perfect reinforcement!
As I've been more rapidly acquiring tips and knowledge from the other talented Guys here, I'd like to share the latest I've found...
IMG_20190914_192214.jpg

I may be wrong... But I believe this is from sero's highly modified FT Racer.
The BBQ Skewer in the Undercamber is my latest add to all future builds item!
The Double Foam Sheet, Airfoil shaped Tail Feathers idea is still one of my favorites!! 😎👍👍 Immensely stronger - even without any reinforcement!! Although I do have at least one BBQ Skewer running through the middle.

Most importantly though, it doesn't add a ton of Weight, for all that extra Strength!! 😎😉

Last edited:

basslord1124

Master member
Yeah I've seen you post that before...good tip! Depending on the plane and your flying style, if you need any kind of reinforcement anything is better than nothing.

Really I own very little carbon fiber...and what I do have, is super thin. The rod on the Scout was just some random wire I had laying around.

PoorManRC

Master member
Yeah I've seen you post that before...good tip! Depending on the plane and your flying style, if you need any kind of reinforcement anything is better than nothing.

Really I own very little carbon fiber...and what I do have, is super thin. The rod on the Scout was just some random wire I had laying around.
Someone had suggested trying Goodwill, Salvation Army Store or Army/Navy Stores....
She said that she saw dirt cheap, CF used Arrows in one of them!!

Sure can't hurt to look, right? 😊 never thought about it, but what a great resource! You've got to have at least one of those near you.