Mini Scout v2 Speed Racer - Perkyplanes/basslord1124 style!

basslord1124

Master member
Much like @buzzbomb and his Scout Speed Racer thread...

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/mini-scout-speed-racer-yep-doing-it.59665/

...I'm going to be attempting this as well. I've actually had it in the works for a while, but got halted, so now I am picking it back up. Here's one of my original posts on it:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...ut-newbie-challenge.57186/page-23#post-472812

Basically the wing and fuse/tail are mostly built. Just gotta join the 2 together. I found my aileron size/performance was a little weak on my last Mini Scout...only made them about an inch wide running most of the length of the wing. I also had dihedral on my last Mini Scout. So, on v2, I'm taking away the dihedral and probably increase the aileron size by another inch or so. I am also doing away with the rudder for a full bank and yank experience. Also going to use a single 9g aileron servo and then my 5g elevator servo. And to complete the package...a 40A ESC, and I just got this pretty purple thing in the pod today...

mini scout v2 powerpod.jpg

3B 2650KV brushless motor. I believe the motor is capable of 4S, but I will probably just run it on 3S for starters. More pics and updates will be coming soon!

basslord1124

Master member
A little bit of update. Got the main part of the airframe together now.

new scoutv2.jpg

Originally ailerons were an inch thick...I have made these around 2.5 inches thick and run about the same span as the original. So hopefully it should be more responsive in the roll department.

I also am going to be using these ESC as instructed by the "oh so great Sharpie"

mini scout esc.jpg

Something neat that I will be attempting with the ESC is mounting it on top of the fuse behind the motor. I was planning on creating a custom angled turtle deck over top of the ESC and putting in some vent holes to keep it cool. So in the end, it should give the Scout a neat sleaker front look AND be functional.

I should mention, both the ESC and motor are rated up to 4S...this thing would be a beast on 4S. Not sure if I'll venture there yet. :eek:

Oh yeah something else I wanted to mention. Most of the airframe was built using hotglue. I did some recent things with using Titebond wood glue. One of these was attaching the wing to the fuse. If I tug on the wing a little, I noticed some definite strength and durability compared to using hotglue. So in a pretty hard crash, I doubt the wing would budge.

Hoping to get the electronics (mainly the ESC and motor) soldered and connected here tonight/tomorrow so I can cross that off the list.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Sweet build! My last crack at a Scout didn't turn out too great, but I like your version. I've just built me a pretty sweet bird though that starts off as RET but can be made with ailerons like you are doing. I hope this flies as good as it looks!

basslord1124

Master member
Spent some more time on her yesterday. Ran into an issue with my aileron servo and ailerons. Basically when I glued in the aileron servo, I glued it to one side of the fuse and cut a hole in the side of the fuse for the one side of the servo arm to stick out. When I did this, I made the realization that it put the linkage too high for the control horns. I could've modified my control horn to actually stick up real high to reach the linkage (I was using those flossers for control horns) BUT I fear it would easily get knocked off on landings.

So...I ended up cutting some of the wing on the inside of the fuse, to make the servo sit lower. I hated cutting the wing BUT, I still feel like it'll be strong enough for use. The servo sits lower now and I don't see any issues with the control rod height reaching the control horn.

Problem: I'm now left with a decent hole on the side of the fuse.

BUT, I figure I'll beef it up with some reinforcements and finish it with posterboard and tape. This is sort of a test design anyways to see if this works.

Here are some pics:

mscoutv2-underside.jpg

ESCs secured in place, just gotta put the turtle deck over top of it.
mscoutv2-top-esc.jpg

So, get the turtle deck on, hook up motor and other electronics, and it'll be almost ready. I can't wait to see what that motor is going to be like. :)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Nice! The closer you get the more I can't for your maiden! Interesting location for your esc. I also notice you didn't use the former on the front that adds the downward thrust to the motor. What's your plans for that? Going to leave it open for airflow? Not worried about the thrust angle? Got mad genius "it'll be going too fast to need downward thrust angle" plans? :)

basslord1124

Master member
Who needs a former with downward thrust!! Not I! *evil laugh*

(Realized I forgot that step)

Oops lol. That is a good question though, I could try without it and see what happens... Or just squeeze in some foam/popsicle stick for the downward thrust.

basslord1124

Master member
Yeah I wont have a former there as its more of a backwards Scout turtle deck. Its going to be a downward angle at the front of the nose to make it a little sleaker and more aerodynamic. Like an angled car hood.

basslord1124

Master member
Well crap, the Scouts first crash. Sitting in the back of my car and bookbag rolled over on top of it. My bag was pretty heavy.

Crinkled and bent half the wing and somehow bent up the horizontal stab/elevator.

Scout oops.jpg

Kinda bent it back for now. Debating leaving it like that or rebuilding those pieces.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Well crap, the Scouts first crash. Sitting in the back of my car and bookbag rolled over on top of it. My bag was pretty heavy.

Crinkled and bent half the wing and somehow bent up the horizontal stab/elevator.

View attachment 142407

Kinda bent it back for now. Debating leaving it like that or rebuilding those pieces.
Oh, shoot. That's a bummer! The wing is definitely compromised. I say glue a popsicle stick or two underneath. Do the same on the other side to balance the weight. Then throw it in the air!

basslord1124

Master member
Ya know I'm honestly not as much worried about the wing. I may see if I can iron some wrinkles out but the metal wire underneath kept damage to a minimum. The elevator though I may reinforce a little though.

Last edited:

PoorManRC

Master member

View attachment 142407

Now THAT'S a bummer! 😞
You know how well I can crash Planes....
But you didn't even get to FLY. 😭 I feel for you.

Are you able to remove the Wing?? I know if I trash my Scout - the Wing is on with Gorilla Glue!! It ain't coming off.

An old Peter Sripol trick... Wet the area with Denatured Alcohol. If you just used Hot Glue, it will completely break free!! 👍👍

basslord1124

Master member
Now THAT'S a bummer! 😞
You know how well I can crash Planes....
But you didn't even get to FLY. 😭 I feel for you.

Are you able to remove the Wing?? I know if I trash my Scout - the Wing is on with Gorilla Glue!! It ain't coming off.

An old Peter Sripol trick... Wet the area with Denatured Alcohol. If you just used Hot Glue, it will completely break free!! 👍👍

The wing is held on with a mix of a little bit of hot glue and TiteBond. I'm not sure how to remove Titebond...alcohol "may" work but I have never tested it. But I have decided not to worry about the wing damage. The metal wire I used kept the wing mostly stiff so it actually didn't break it. Just slightly bent it and wrinkled the foam. I do plan on adding some reinforcements to my horizontal stab though.

PoorManRC

Master member
Hoorah for wire reinforcement!!! 😊 I get chastised for all my extra reinforcement...

But it might have saved you!! I've never tried this, but I also heard of fixing the wrinkles by removing the Paper (where possible), and with 3M Super 77, reskin it.
Maybe that's an option too. I'm looking at the pictures on an old Phone.... No Computer in over 6 years.
I can't clearly see the extent of the damage.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Hoorah for wire reinforcement!!! 😊 I get chastised for all my extra reinforcement...

But it might have saved you!! I've never tried this, but I also heard of fixing the wrinkles by removing the Paper (where possible), and with 3M Super 77, reskin it.
Maybe that's an option too. I'm looking at the pictures on an old Phone.... No Computer in over 6 years.
I can't clearly see the extent of the damage.
I'll have to see how that reskinning wrinkled areas is done. I just repaired a wing, and I filled in the wrinkles with glue because it was mainly larger, longer cracks, and then wiped off the excess the best I could. If I'd read this a bit sooner I'd have tried it.

Last edited:

PoorManRC

Master member
I'll have to see how that resinning wrinkled areas is done. I just repaired a wing, and I filled in the wrinkles with glue because it was mainly larger, longer cracks, and then wiped off the excess the best I could. If I'd read this a bit sooner I'd have tried it.
From what I've seen and heard, you WILL have more wrinkles!!! 😜
I sure have.

The Scout that I'm almost done with, the Primer attacked the WP Foam....
90% of the Plane is now wrinkled or rippled!!! 😖

I just decided that it adds to the realism of a 1930's Canvas covered Aircraft!!! Way too many to fix! 😲

But I'm anxious to try that myself. I've been doing what you do... Filling in the wrinkles with Wood Glue, sometimes sanding smooth after it's completely cured.