Mini Sea Duck

w1lp33

Had to add a notch on the back panel as well for the elevator rod.

Things got a little messy as I’ve been figuring out the aileron servo situation, but it’s all together anyways. :)

You can see even with the servo flag on the spar the pushrod angle is still too steep, so the servo should really be flat on the wing itself, not on the spar.

Attachments

• A16935D0-D654-4E5F-B51B-7BF8A9A40712.jpeg
    A16935D0-D654-4E5F-B51B-7BF8A9A40712.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • E7BFCBA4-C2F9-4B7E-8BA0-A5E0FF3DE77F.jpeg
    E7BFCBA4-C2F9-4B7E-8BA0-A5E0FF3DE77F.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 95C6EE73-B2E3-4935-A03A-EAF342D2F274.jpeg
    95C6EE73-B2E3-4935-A03A-EAF342D2F274.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 5A407EAF-2B47-4637-AAAD-10ED618F8D42.jpeg
    5A407EAF-2B47-4637-AAAD-10ED618F8D42.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Just came across this thread - awesome! I gotta build me maybe a 70% duck once my 70% A-10 dies. Or maybe before, but I don't really need more planes or projects at the moment lol...

Boberticus

Oh my gerrrrrrrrdddddd!!!!!!
Great thanks for the plans. Made my sick leave much more fun.

that looks so nice, the decals and everything are just something else man, that looks great. the tail servo placement is clever too.

im a maintence worker so i have been making sure the buildings dont fall down while everybody is at home, :) been unable to get much time in building. living vicariously through you guys on the site, that however, is a beautiful plane. man i need to finalize the last few adjustments to the plans.

let us know how the maiden works out,, nothing should be changed as far as wings go, so CG should be in the same spot

Stahladler

So,
the maiden flight was not a flawless success, but I'm satisfied.
It was quite unstable along the longitudinal axis and I couldn't put the lipo enough forward so the duck was a little tail heavy.
I will try to cut out the battery attachment part and put it in lower. So it will fit better into the nose.

Attachments

• IMG_20200327_201651.jpg
    IMG_20200327_201651.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200327_201619.jpg
    IMG_20200327_201619.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200327_201412.jpg
    IMG_20200327_201412.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 0

superhappyfun

Oh wow! I just completed mine, but I did a 72% reduction to get a ~1 meter wingspan. I wasn't sure if I should go lower in scale because I only had 5mm Dollar Tree foam to work with. If I could have found 3mm foam I might have gone 50%. Here is my thread...

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/mini-sea-duck.58929/

I noticed that mine was also tail heavy so I just put in a heavier battery with a lower profile so I was able to move mine up further forward into the nose.

Boberticus

I have, including a deeper battery tray, should accomidate up to 35mm thick batteries (i have some 4s 1500mah i didnt measure first but have now), but you may have to shave the front bottom corners of the tray to get it to fit right in the front.

also i changed the pontoons as how @w1lp33 said, but haven't cut them out or built them yet to verify that they work correctly now.

the only thing i havn't done is place the wing and tail servos like how @Stahladler did, but that's how I'm going to be doing it when i eventually get around to building it.

i still haven't done much work on this one, there's a top fuselage section and a stack of printed plans sitting on my work bench, just mocking me... might try to get a build done with the updated plans this weekend.

Last edited:

chris398mx

Master member
I have, including a deeper battery tray, should accomidate up to 35mm thick batteries (i have some 4s 1500mah i didnt measure first but have now), but you may have to shave the front bottom corners of the tray to get it to fit right in the front.

also i changed the pontoons as how @w1lp33 said, but haven't cut them out or built them yet to verify that they work correctly now.

the only thing i havn't done is place the wing and tail servos like how @Stahladler did, but that's how I'm going to be doing it when i eventually get around to building it.

i still haven't done much work on this one, there's a top fuselage section and a stack of printed plans sitting on my work bench, just mocking me... might try to get a build done with the updated plans this weekend.
so are the latest plans post on the first page of this thread or have you not posted any with the corrections found so far?

Boberticus

Oh wow! I just completed mine, but I did a 72% reduction to get a ~1 meter wingspan. I wasn't sure if I should go lower in scale because I only had 5mm Dollar Tree foam to work with. If I could have found 3mm foam I might have gone 50%. Here is my thread...

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/mini-sea-duck.58929/

I noticed that mine was also tail heavy so I just put in a heavier battery with a lower profile so I was able to move mine up further forward into the nose.

Yeah, i made this with Dollar tree foamboard in mind, the thickness here in central Colorado is kinda variable, its rather wavy, it measures about 4.8 at the thick bits and 3.7 at the thin bits, so i average it out to 4.3 and go from there. with these i more just shrunk the entire set of plans down to a expected wingspan and then just modified all the "thickness of foam" tab sections back out to 4.3mm. i made a bunch of mistakes, but they were just missing a spot here or there, (or not thinking about battery placement) where i wasn't a dummy the plans all worked out very well and very simply.

I may or may not be modifying a set of Rutans Pond Racer from Russia that was made for 6mm depron in the very same way:).