Mini Sopwith Camel / se5 facelift

Michael G

IMG_20190609_082254439.jpg
IMG_20190609_082936931.jpg IMG_20190609_084401779.jpg IMG_20190609_084411928.jpg IMG_20190609_084436877.jpg

Michael G

Well her maiden flight didn't go as well as I hoped. She just buzzed around on the ground like wounded moth and just rolled over like a dead duck. I don't know if it was too heavy or it didn't have enough power/ thrust.... I'll tell you what gear I used and maybe someone can tell me what went wrong.
I used e-flights park 400 & 25 amp esc, 6x4.5 cc prop, 2x5gram servos, tattu 850mAh 45c 9.44wh 3cell 11.1v lipo. And at full throt.... Nothing.
I will still download the final plans maybe with better gear it'll fly. please let me know if you get her to fly. Maybe even a video...
img007.jpg
img007a.jpg
img007b.jpg
img006.jpg
img005.jpg
img004.jpg
img003.jpg
img002.jpg
img001.jpg

Michael G

Ok,
I built a second model using the same plans my first attempt I used an eflite park 400 740kv that was way underpowered. This time I'm using a spider 2204 2500kv so that should do it. And cut out the center of the cowl. I know what your all saying why did you paint it not knowing if it will fly....
Well I'm only going to give it 2 throttle ups and if it doesn't get off the ground it will look real nice hanging in my hobby room..
1121191529b.jpg
1121191529.jpg
1121191530.jpg
1121191530a.jpg

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Well I'm only going to give it 2 throttle ups and if it doesn't get off the ground it will look real nice hanging in my hobby room..
Oh Noooos! I mean I hope she flys, but you can't give up on her! She's just too beautiful to be a wall hanger! She's got to be in the air! Just looking at the pictures, she's going to be "lifty." You might need some nose weight. You've got plenty of elevator and rudder authority. There should be no reason that you can't make her fly.

Seriously. She's a beautiful build and should fly wonderfully. I wish you luck and keep us posted!

Zetoyoc

Elite member
Ok,
I built a second model using the same plans my first attempt I used an eflite park 400 740kv that was way underpowered. This time I'm using a spider 2204 2500kv so that should do it. And cut out the center of the cowl. I know what your all saying why did you paint it not knowing if it will fly....
Well I'm only going to give it 2 throttle ups and if it doesn't get off the ground it will look real nice hanging in my hobby room.. View attachment 148674 View attachment 148675 View attachment 148676 View attachment 148677
I think they fly better painted. :) it has to be true. send it up!

Michael G

Oh Noooos! I mean I hope she flys, but you can't give up on her! She's just too beautiful to be a wall hanger! She's got to be in the air! Just looking at the pictures, she's going to be "lifty." You might need some nose weight. You've got plenty of elevator and rudder authority. There should be no reason that you can't make her fly.

Seriously. She's a beautiful build and should fly wonderfully. I wish you luck and keep us posted!
And they look more real when they crash too..😋

BS projects inc.

Elite member
Have you gotten a chance to fly it yet? Also, you might want to consider shortening the pieces that hold the top wing in place. The top wing is a bit tall for the scale, if you are going for a scale model. Otherwise it looks great!

Michael G

Have you gotten a chance to fly it yet? Also, you might want to consider shortening the pieces that hold the top wing in place. The top wing is a bit tall for the scale, if you are going for a scale model. Otherwise it looks great!
I modeled it after the mighty mini se5 & dr1 even used parts from both. To keep that look. hopefully those who are still flying the mini ww1's will add this to their collection's and not clash with the mini's. I can't take her out yet winter has come to Arizona and it's a lousy time of the year weather wise. And the same goes for the mini fokker DVII. I whipped up it's more or less a 2 winged mini dr1 I really didn't design anything.... Its all ft parts.

Madspadder

I also paint mine before I test fly. My club members always give me a hard time and tell me "fly it before you paint it". I always tell them "it's going to fly, I did the math" lol. Absolutely love it when the maiden flight goes well and you get some good video with it painted. Don't give up, there is always a solution and your plane looks great !!

Michael G

I also paint mine before I test fly. My club members always give me a hard time and tell me "fly it before you paint it". I always tell them "it's going to fly, I did the math" lol. Absolutely love it when the maiden flight goes well and you get some good video with it painted. Don't give up, there is always a solution and your plane looks great !!
Thanks I hope the weather gets better soon it's been raining a lot here.

T-Richard

Awesome looking airplane. I think it will go better this time. The first motor neede a much larger prop. If its truly 700kv, it can probably spin a 10 inch prop without issue....