Mini sportster build plans/video

I built my fuselage and wing and put the build on hold. Just not a lot of time lately. I'm getting back to it and looking at the rear turtle deck. Has anyone considered leaving this off? I'm just weary of covering the elevator and rudder servos in the event I need to do any repairs. I may cut a piece of foam board to fit this section and use velcro to connect it. It would be flat and not look as cool but would leave this part of the plane accessible if needed. Is this just a cosmetic part or am I missing something?

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
I have everything painting and put together on mine with the exception of gluing the rear turtle deck. I don't like the power pod mounting location for an 1806 motor though. I may lengthen the power power pod a bit. I hope to have the maiden by Sunday.

Tim Brown

Got 2 flying One for me and one for my neighbor plus these 4 which are now painted

20151127_225946.jpg

JDill

Servos under cockpit

I built my fuselage and wing and put the build on hold. Just not a lot of time lately. I'm getting back to it and looking at the rear turtle deck. Has anyone considered leaving this off? I'm just weary of covering the elevator and rudder servos in the event I need to do any repairs. I may cut a piece of foam board to fit this section and use velcro to connect it. It would be flat and not look as cool but would leave this part of the plane accessible if needed. Is this just a cosmetic part or am I missing something?

I just mounted mine farther forward under the cockpit area so that I could get at them if need be. It didn't really affect the CG as I still need to put the battery I planned to use (2S 850) all the way forward.

Capt_Beavis

The maiden went well but then I suddenly the plane started diving straight into the ground on take off. it would glide ok but dive under power. I thought it was a thrust angle but that wasn't it. After trying different CG points, and crashing her a bunch of tmes I realized I was using my scout setup which had an aggressive throttle mixing. It flies ok now but it has taken a real beating and i have busted a lot of props. Mine seems to prefer 6x4.5

The maiden went well but then I suddenly the plane started diving straight into the ground on take off. it would glide ok but dive under power. I thought it was a thrust angle but that wasn't it. After trying different CG points, and crashing her a bunch of tmes I realized I was using my scout setup which had an aggressive throttle mixing. It flies ok now but it has taken a real beating and i have busted a lot of props. Mine seems to prefer 6x4.5

I haven't tried throttle mixing. I am getting a DX6i for xmas so may be something I can experiment with. I tried using velcro to attach the power pod to my scout. The results were not so great. I had to much upward thrust angle. The main reason I used the velcro is that along with a prop saver helps save props. I was breaking props a maddening rate using the bbq skeweres.

Capt_Beavis

I am really enjoying this plane now that I have the kinks out of it, unfortunately that put a few kinks in the body. The plane doesn't like to loop very well so I think I have something misaligned but everything else is solid on it.

Just finished my mini Sportster. Lot of rain here and looks like it's sticking around the next few days so will have to wait to fly her.

Few photos. Great suggestion from I think it was Cpt Beavis on mounting the servos on the outside.

IMG_6073.JPG IMG_6070.JPG

Capt_Beavis

I have crashed mine a bunch. I wouldn't take mine as an example. I would build another one or a full size one in a heart beat. I really think this airframe is a winner.

would that transfer to the full sized to because im starting mine tomorrow

Yeah, that was me. It looks nice. I hope the weather clears up soon for you.

Not sure, the rain is supposed to stick around. I'm hoping this is my go to of the mini planes. I'm getting kind of bored with the Tiny Trainers. I just want a solid 4 channel plane in this size I can keep building and rebuilding. We'll see how this plane flies. It seems very similar to the mini Scout other than the thicker wing.

The mini Corsair looks real cool as well.

I maidened the Sportster today - it was brutal. I tried a bit yesterday and could not get enough lift. One huge weak point in this plane is the under-side of the fuselage near the rear of the wing. This part cracked along and the entire bottom of the fuselage came disonnected. The paper joint is also a weak joint on the under-side. Anyhow, nothing a few foam pieces for reinforcement and another stick of hot glue could not repair. So I was back out again today. The plane flew but it did a hard bank and ended up in a nose dive into a sidewalk. The COG seemed correct. I also have the correct thrust/down angle but one of my buddies said it may be too exaggerated. I'm using a 2300kv Power Up motor/800mah 2 S/GWS 7060 prop. That's the same combination I'm using for my Tiny Trainer. I have no weighed the Sportster but going to do that later on. I'm starting to think I may have 2 problems - not enough thrust; my TT seems kind of under-powered. I'd be interested to see what prop/motor combo others are using. I'm kind of frustrated; that's 3 of the minis in a row that have been lawn darts.