Mini sportster build plans/video

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
2s was pretty weak on mine but it still flew. I am using a 6x4.5 prop and the Emax 1806. It has plenty of power with a 3s. Where are you putting your CG?

kacknor

Build another!
I maidened the Sportster today - it was brutal. I tried a bit yesterday and could not get enough lift. One huge weak point in this plane is the under-side of the fuselage near the rear of the wing. This part cracked along and the entire bottom of the fuselage came disonnected. The paper joint is also a weak joint on the under-side. Anyhow, nothing a few foam pieces for reinforcement and another stick of hot glue could not repair. So I was back out again today. The plane flew but it did a hard bank and ended up in a nose dive into a sidewalk. The COG seemed correct. I also have the correct thrust/down angle but one of my buddies said it may be too exaggerated. I'm using a 2300kv Power Up motor/800mah 2 S/GWS 7060 prop. That's the same combination I'm using for my Tiny Trainer. I have no weighed the Sportster but going to do that later on. I'm starting to think I may have 2 problems - not enough thrust; my TT seems kind of under-powered. I'd be interested to see what prop/motor combo others are using. I'm kind of frustrated; that's 3 of the minis in a row that have been lawn darts.

Had the wing break happen to me too. I blame Josh Bixler He suggested not using glue on the top side of the wing. :rolleyes:

Seriously, this design does not like to fly slowly (in the Mini anyway) and will stall and spiral if you try to float them in or don't stay ahead of them. The Ailerons also need lots DR & Expo. Learned that the hard way. Run 60 or even 50% to start. I've also have landing gear issues. Got an article here: http://flitetest.com/articles/mini-sportster-landing-gear-repair-and-mod, and if you look closely that bottom rear of the wing thing is evident in the pictures.

JD

Tim Brown

Sorry to hear about your Sportster...I have 6 of them built 3 ready to fly and mine and the one I built for my neighbor fly incredibly well...I am using 3 cell 460 nano tech batteries 2204 2200kv motors and 7x3.8 props

Capt_Beavis

I do have 70 travel adjust on the ailerons but my expo is at 30%. I am also using the closest in notch on the servo arm for aileron. I find mine very well behaved. It is by far my favorite FT mini. I haven't been able to fly it much because of 15-20mph lately though.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think there are a few problems going on but one main problem is I am not getting enough thrust. I have the same setup with my Tiny Trainer, 2300kv, 2s800mah, 7060 prop and it's an very slow flyer. I am going to look into some different power setups. The only motor I can find at my vendor at this size, Headsup hobby, is the 2300kv. I personally think thrust and power can over-compensate for some build flaws. I had the expo at default - 100% so another problem. I'm still a decent enough pilot where I can maneuver myself out of a situation if I have enough thrust. Another I noted is my power pod is pretty weak; the screws had some play in the firewall so I'm probably losing thrust. I'm going to rebuild the power pod, look into some different power options, and change the servo rates.

2s was pretty weak on mine but it still flew. I am using a 6x4.5 prop and the Emax 1806. It has plenty of power with a 3s. Where are you putting your CG?

The CG is right at the middle of the wing spar; so I think it's correct. I just ordered some EMAX 1806 motors from Amazon. I found what looks to be a pretty decent deal. I'll give these a go and run it with an 18 amp ESC and try 2 and 3 S.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M7NTMRK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

kacknor

Build another!

Attachments

• 20151228_191105.jpg
    20151228_191105.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20151228_191124.jpg
    20151228_191124.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Capt_Beavis

The CG point as at the second bend on the top of the wing which is at the front of the spar. I had to go back and watch the video again to get it right on mine. Remember to hold the plane inverted when you check it.

The CG is right at the middle of the wing spar; so I think it's correct. I just ordered some EMAX 1806 motors from Amazon. I found what looks to be a pretty decent deal. I'll give these a go and run it with an 18 amp ESC and try 2 and 3 S.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M7NTMRK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

kacknor

Build another!

I have the 1806 on Tiny Trainers and they fly quite well with a 6.4 prop and both 2c & 3c. have a 12 AMP ESC in them. I don't see why a mini Sportster wouldn't do just fine that way.

JD

I have the 1806 on Tiny Trainers and they fly quite well with a 6.4 prop and both 2c & 3c. have a 12 AMP ESC in them. I don't see why a mini Sportster wouldn't do just fine that way.

JD

I have those motors coming in the mail. They have a pretty good deal on them at Amazon so I figured why not give them a shot.

Jure

I tried to maiden my FT mini sportster yesterday and it didn't go as planned.
My friend launched it from hand for me and the plane was just nose diving. I was giving full throttle and trying to pull up but after some meters the plane dived directly to the ground. Thankfully I had only to rebuild the powerpod.
My CoG is just after the second bend in the wing (like in plans). I have no idea what to do that my next launch will go better. Please help.
Should I move the CoG a bit back or should I give some elevator trim from the start or what. Less throttle? Less downthrust?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
The first time I had this same "dive into the ground" experience I found out my elevator servo was reversed. Very embarrassing for me, but a very simple fix. :)

kacknor

Build another!
I have those motors coming in the mail. They have a pretty good deal on them at Amazon so I figured why not give them a shot.

How did the 1806 do in the Mini Sportster? I've also built another and once again used the 2204. Although curious about it, I had one and would have had to buy an 1806. ;)

JD

Jure

Found out my CG was indeed too far forward. As for the reversed elevator.. well my ailerones were reversed. Have no clue how i missed that :) But now i finally have a flying plane. It just needs some fixing up:)

Reactions: FDS

kacknor

Build another!
Found out my CG was indeed too far forward. As for the reversed elevator.. well my ailerones were reversed. Have no clue how i missed that :) But now i finally have a flying plane. It just needs some fixing up:)

Ha! There is another thread going on about doing that, and it seems almost all of us have done it at least once. I confess to twice myself. (Oh no!) ;)

Life is funny. Somehow in the excitement of a new toy, seeing the direction of movement in a control becomes a simple 'It's moving' and we take off anyway. :)

JD

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Life is funny. Somehow in the excitement of a new toy, seeing the direction of movement in a control becomes a simple 'It's moving' and we take off anyway. :)

Been there, done that - or at least I've tried to take off. ;)

kacknor

Build another!
Does anyone know why this design has fuselage doublers at the front?

Strength is my guess. I recall an episode where Josh B talked about the evolution of the FT designs in the desire to made them last longer. The first generation stuff was (is!) great, but it's more of a "Fly it till it's dead, build more!" philosophy. Anyway, without the doublers the power pod wouldn't fit. ;)

JD

erad05

Sorry to hear about your Sportster...I have 6 of them built 3 ready to fly and mine and the one I built for my neighbor fly incredibly well...I am using 3 cell 460 nano tech batteries 2204 2200kv motors and 7x3.8 props

Do You know if the CG is on the 2nd Crease of the wing ( 34mm ), or further back like in the description 44mm from the leading edge of the wing?