Mini Telemaster Kit-Bashing

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Hopefully this will not offend you guys actually building the Telemaster from wood, cause it is a great kit! Had one years ago and decided to build this Super Telemaster bash from all DTFB.

Yes. Quite nice! What did you use for a wing spar?

CMS_1961

CMS_1961
That looks great! :D

Did you work from a set of plans as the base, or just eyeball it?

I did not have a full set of plans--just printed up the tail section and used basic measurements for wing and fuse-- I would say mostly eyeball!! The wing is based on the Flitetest fold under camber style (like Aircamper) just huge and I used 36 inch wood yardsticks (hot glued) for spars. I eyed up the size of ailerons I wanted--think they are 36 inch x 1 1/2 or 2 inches. I also do not fold my fuselages sides up--I cut the formers out then piece the side cutouts together with hot glue and DTFB squares to reinforce the sections longer than 30 inches on the fuse. I usually double DTFB the front 4 formers and the F-1 (engine mount) is made from 1/4 lite ply. Its swinging a 12 inch prop BTW!!!

I can provide total weight and specs if anyone wants to build one. It would be a great trainer--with the motor I have its medium speed and it practically lands itself when you pull the power back to idle. It is very light so windy day ops are not recommended!! I like it cause it is so easy to see at altitude and so far there are no bad tendencies. It is a great flyer!! Only drawback is its a one piece wing and a huge fuse--you need a pick up truck to take it to the flying field!! LOL (You could make a 3 piece wing and remove the tail section for a smaller vehicle)

CMS_1961

CMS_1961
I did not have a full set of plans--just printed up the tail section and used basic measurements for wing and fuse-- I would say mostly eyeball!! The wing is based on the Flitetest fold under camber style (like Aircamper) just huge and I used 36 inch wood yardsticks (hot glued) for spars. I eyed up the size of ailerons I wanted--think they are 36 inch x 1 1/2 or 2 inches. I also do not fold my fuselages sides up--I cut the formers out then piece the side cutouts together with hot glue and DTFB squares to reinforce the sections longer than 30 inches on the fuse. I usually double DTFB the front 4 formers and the F-1 (engine mount) is made from 1/4 lite ply. Its swinging a 12 inch prop BTW!!!

I can provide total weight and specs if anyone wants to build one. It would be a great trainer--with the motor I have its medium speed and it practically lands itself when you pull the power back to idle. It is very light so windy day ops are not recommended!! I like it cause it is so easy to see at altitude and so far there are no bad tendencies. It is a great flyer!! Only drawback is its a one piece wing and a huge fuse--you need a pick up truck to take it to the flying field!! LOL (You could make a 3 piece wing and remove the tail section for a smaller vehicle)

Oh the wing Chord is 12 inches on the top!!

Turbojoe

Elite member
Hey, let's resurrect an old thread! :eek:

Thanks to rockyboy this is THE most prolific thread on the Mini Telemaster 45" wing version that Google coughs up! (y)(y)

My 45" mini Telemaster plans are dated 2003 and it's still a little fuzzy now but I think I started building my kit in 2006 shortly after my back injury. Doctors had me on the most addictive pain meds (thankfully not for long) and during that time I must have had a severe lapse of judgement and built the fuse for conventional tail dragger gear! :eek::eek:. Unless it's a scale plane I NEVER, NEVER, EVER, EVER build tail dragger! The doctor prescribed meds are now my excuse......

My Willy Nillies shipment that should be here today has been delayed until Monday thanks 100% to the USPS so I pulled down the Mini Telemaster for a look see. I noticed I had actually EPOXIED the hardwood main gear pieces in the tail dragger location. (I normally NEVER use epoxy on planes this small.) A few minutes with the Dremel with a saw blade chucked quickly removed most of the offending parts. The side rails will stay simply because it would cause way too much fuselage damage to remove them. Repairs are clamped and drying now because when possible I like to use Superphatic instead of CA just like rockyboy. It takes just a minute longer but the ease of use and resulting bond is confidence inspiring !

I had hoped to start work on the wing today but I fear I have a lot of fuse repair and new main gear location and parts creation for that operation. I also now thinking I need to come up with a 3D printed servo plate and main gear files. ;)

Joe

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Hooray @Turbojoe !! Another Mini-Tele is being born! :D And I'm with you on preferring tricycle gear - nose overs and mowing the grass with the prop are really annoying...

I just checked the flight logs on my Mini-Tele and noticed she went from 14 flights the year I built her to only 4 flights last year - it's been since last July since I've had her out, and I need to get her back in the air!

Turbojoe

Elite member
Wow. I did so much more damage than anticipated while ripping and tearing the conventional main gear mount from the fuselage innards. A replacement balsa fill piece is now in place though. I'd love to make it all pretty inside and out but may not bother inside as the old gear area is non load bearing. We'll see though. Maybe I can smooth it over at the end and make it look good.

I wouldn't expect to see completion of this bird anytime soon. My all balsa scratch built Eaglet 50 was an almost 10 year project. The Telemaster 40 was at least that long if not longer and it's built, sanded but isn't even covered. I have the attention span of a two year old. I work on something a bit then think about working on and move on to something else. After a while I end up with 8-10 partially built projects. Heck, this one may not be done until 2025 or so if I even live that long,,,,,,,, :rolleyes:

Joe

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Wow. I did so much more damage than anticipated while ripping and tearing the conventional main gear mount from the fuselage innards. A replacement balsa fill piece is now in place though. I'd love to make it all pretty inside and out but may not bother inside as the old gear area is non load bearing. We'll see though. Maybe I can smooth it over at the end and make it look good.

I wouldn't expect to see completion of this bird anytime soon. My all balsa scratch built Eaglet 50 was an almost 10 year project. The Telemaster 40 was at least that long if not longer and it's built, sanded but isn't even covered. I have the attention span of a two year old. I work on something a bit then think about working on and move on to something else. After a while I end up with 8-10 partially built projects. Heck, this one may not be done until 2025 or so if I even live that long,,,,,,,, :rolleyes:

Joe

I have that kind of attention span with a lot of things, but I since I really don't want to lose pieces of a bunch of half-a-plane projects, I force myself to not build more than 2 RC planes at a time.

I seem to be OK with the half-finished bass guitar rebuild, the in-progress 3D printer height extension, the partial new door trim on the bathroom, the half-finished new backyard fence, the in progress chair set recaning, the couch reupholstery project that has a bare frame on sawhorses for 3 years, etc. etc. :ROFLMAO:

Turbojoe

Elite member
Looks like we have the same problem but with different things. LOL.

I'm trying to get back to the mini Telemaster today but as I mentioned earlier I have back problems. Unfortunately I don't have any of the pain meds they were giving me back then so today is a day of laying flat on my bad back and doing nothing in hopes that I can work on the new kits when they get here tomorrow. Bummer.

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
OK...... 6 months later! Well the VA is now helping me with non addictive pain meds for my back injury and they actually work kinda sorta well enough that I can be a little more productive again....

I got back on the Mini Telemaster again a few days ago and am making really good progress. I got all the damage I caused in the trike gear conversion I wanted to do to the fuselage repaired in the landing gear area. She'll now be a tail dragger yet again. Ugh, I hate tail draggers......:sick:

The fuse was mostly built a LONG time ago. Once I completed repairing what I had previously destroyed I commenced making a few discreet mods. Telemaster owners may be able to point them out when I finally post completed pictures. Maybe not..... :sneaky:

When I got back to it I seriously intended to finally get around to building the wing bone stock but just couldn't do that. A check of the local LHS's confirmed what I already knew. They all suck mightily when it comes to balsa stock. If you want a Horizon Hobby bARF the LHS's have got it! Virtually NO balsa for builders though! :mad: That meant adding ailerons and flaps had to be done with the limited aileron stock I had on hand. I've got tons of balsa. Unfortunately I had very little aileron stock to do what I wanted and I had to use what I had on hand. I'm still happy with the end result though. While I considered making the wing bolt on I still don't know why but I decided to stay with rubber bands for old times sake. :rolleyes:

I epoxied and joined the wings today. That is ALWAYS the big hurdle for me and signals the point of nearing what I consider build completion after final sand and prep before covering.

Lots of little things to do before I start covering. Maybe in the next day or seven I'll get to it. Maiden? Well with the +105 degree temps AND wind lately IF I finish her soon it may still have to wait for a safe non spontaneously combustible day to fly. I still have the Lee Renaud Q-Tee sitting here waiting for maiden too......

Working on this mini Telemaster got me to pull out my Telemaster 40 that is 100% built, hinged and "ready" for covering (with final sanding) since the VERY early 2000's. Once the mini has been maidened the big TM 40 will likely be next for completion. I have so many partially completed projects that they're now becoming like a whole new build on each of them when I drag them out. It's good fun!

Joe

Last edited:

Turbojoe

Elite member
Hooray @Turbojoe !! Another Mini-Tele is being born! :D And I'm with you on preferring tricycle gear - nose overs and mowing the grass with the prop are really annoying...

I just checked the flight logs on my Mini-Tele and noticed she went from 14 flights the year I built her to only 4 flights last year - it's been since last July since I've had her out, and I need to get her back in the air!

Just curious. My kit must be a very early version as the only thing laser cut was the wing ribs and it looks nothing like your build. Mine is more like a plans build with ribs and wood supplied. What were your tail feathers built from? Mine were 1/8" and were just too flimsy for my liking so I skinned the H-stab/elevator with 1/32" contest balsa on each side to use 3/32" Robart hinge pins and V-stab/rudder with 1/16" contest balsa as the rudder has to handle the tail wheel loads and will get 1/8" Robart hinge pins like the ailerons and flaps. I really love Robart Hinge Point hinges and I always get virtually sealed and smooth control surfaces. I have a ton of the hinge points in 3/32"/1/8"3/16" but keep forgetting about them. I've used them before in several planes and should have been using them much more often and definitely will in the future.

As a side note Super Phatic works exceptionally well as a Robart hinge point glue! I took a piece of flat scrap balsa and drilled a 1/8" hole in it. Added Super Phatic in the hole and inserted the Robart. I've been trying for days to pull that hinge out of the balsa and can't! Forget all those B.S. high dollar "hinge glues". Super Phatic is my go to balsa adhesive when I don't absolutely have to have the lightning speed of CA. Now I find it's also perfect for hinges as well. Super Phatic just continues to pay for itself over and over again.

Joe

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Mine were the 1/8" too - just double checked. They covered up stiff enough to fly - but not study enough to crash and a good bump getting into the car already caused a repair on the vertical stabilizer.

Just opened a new bottle of Super Phatic tonight too! :D Hands down my favorite glue for balsa modeling :D

Turbojoe

Elite member
Mine were the 1/8" too - just double checked. They covered up stiff enough to fly - but not study enough to crash and a good bump getting into the car already caused a repair on the vertical stabilizer.

Just opened a new bottle of Super Phatic tonight too! :D Hands down my favorite glue for balsa modeling :D

My H-stab is now nice and stiff after skinning. It'll be worth the minimal weight gain. I almost went ahead and built new ones from 3/16" sticks.

I pretty much ran out of things to do on the mini an hour or so ago. It's going to be red/white and blue. I just don't know what scheme I'll be doing those colors in. Once I decide on a scheme I plan to do the Telemaster 40 the same way.

I'm starting to run low on Super Phatic. I'm going to need more red/white and blue covering for the Telemaster 40 so I'll get some more then. Can't be without the stuff!

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
I'm sure you posted it but what size batteries did you fly on? I have 4 N.I.P Tattu 3S 1800 mah packs that I intend to use. I'd love to use lighter 1300's but all of mine are really old and don't test well. I'm sure she can handle the extra weight. As far as I'm concerned a little extra weight means more stable performance in the wind.

Absolutely no reason for me not to be covering right now other than I can't decide how I want to use just three basic colors! :unsure: :rolleyes:

Joe

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I'm using 3s1800's too - couple different brands but that size seems to be good for the airframe.

For the covering / coloring choices, I often try to use a new technique (or one I still need work on) to keep building skillz - maybe there's something in that idea to help spark inspiration :D

Turbojoe

Elite member
I'm using all 3 colors from my cherished stash of SolarFilm. I just finished the tail feathers in blue. Now I gotta decide what scheme to do the rest of the bird in with red and white and maybe a little more blue. I have an idea in mind but I'm not sure how good it'll look. I'll sleep on it tonight and attack it again tomorrow I guess. It has been too hot and windy lately to fly so I'm not in any rush. Heck, I still haven't even done a maiden flight on the big Q-Tee yet!

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
Woke up this morning feeling hungover even though I haven't even had a beer in the last 8 months or so. I did go to Walmart yesterday though. Good God I hope I didn't get Covid 19 from the shoppers coughing and sneezing! I was wearing a mask too! Didn't feel much like working on the plane but did a little anyway.

Anywho......I'm not sure why I'm spending so much time on what is only a mildly modded basic trainer. I should have just thrown it together and gotten it in the air. In final prep for covering I spent about three hours this morning just doing final sanding, filling and re-sanding and getting things just perfect. All that work will never show up in a picture and nobody that sees the plane in person will notice but at least I'll know. As I posted above the tail feathers are covered and look great. I still need to decide how I want to lay down nothing simpler than three basic colors! Having zero creative talent really is frustrating. I keep seeing covering jobs from others here and marvel at what they do. I think I build pretty good. I just wish I could cover creatively. The covering on this bird shouldn't take more than an hour or two tops. It may take ME a week or two.......

Joe

Last edited:

OliverW

Legendary member
Woke up this morning feeling hungover even though I haven't even had a beer in the last 8 months or so. I did go to Walmart yesterday though. Good God I hope I didn't get Covid 19 from the shoppers coughing and sneezing! I was wearing a mask too! Didn't feel much like working on the plane but did a little anyway.

Anywho......I'm not sure why I'm spending so much time on what is only a mildly modded basic trainer. I should have just thrown it together and gotten it in the air. In final prep for covering I spent about three hours this morning just doing final sanding, filling and re-sanding and getting things just perfect. All that work will never show up in a picture and nobody that sees the plane in person will notice but at least I'll know. As I posted above the tail feathers are covered and look great. I still need to decide how I want to lay down nothing simpler than three basic colors! Having zero creative talent really is frustrating. I keep seeing covering jobs from others here and marvel at what they do. I think I build pretty good. I just wish I could cover creatively. The covering on this bird shouldn't take more than an hour or two tops. It may take ME a week or two.......

Joe
Covering takes too much time imo, and you have plenty of creative ability! Your Thunderbirds eaglets are beautiful!

Dazzy

Next on the balsa side of the workbench for me is a classic Mini-Telemaster by Hobby Lobby I've got the 45" wingspan one, but these come in sizes from 36" up to 144".

View attachment 101114

I'm organizing a build along of Telemasters (any size welcome) and have somewhere between 5 and 9 other folks in my local RC club, with experience ranging from 40 years of balsa dust to very first kit build. Really excited to get more local club members hooked on building from kits instead of ARFs :) Anyone here in the forums that would like to join along is absolutely welcome and encouraged - I'll add you to the mailing list we're using and even make you an honorary member of the club for the year! (Can't promise anything about next year though - I'm not planning to be president for a second term :p )

I've seen some great mods done with this kit, from twin engine to twin fuselage to super-STOL setups like this one

View attachment 101115

And since I picked up two of these kits from a dealer on facebook, I think I'll do two very different airplanes.

The first one I'm going to tackle will be a Super-STOL. Planned kit mods so far include;

• Ailerons
  • Reduced dihedral
  • Slotted Flaps
  • Drooped wingtips
  • Air fences / turbulators
  • Steerable Tail Wheel
  • Enlarged Rudder
  • Reshaped tail, cabanes, and bush tires ala Kit Fox
  • Navigation Lights (I have a UMX Timber set to install here)

And the second kit is going in a whole different direction

View attachment 101116

• Twin Engine Nacelles
  • Retractable Tricycle Gear (mains going into the nacelles)
  • Reduced Dihedral
  • Ailerons
  • Split Flaps
  • FPV Module in Nose

Big fun ahead!! :applause:

Hi @rockyboy Im late to the party and got lots to learn and yes Id like to learn from you if thats ok.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Hi @rockyboy Im late to the party and got lots to learn and yes Id like to learn from you if thats ok.

Never too late to the party around here! :D

Feel free to fire away with questions, and start up a build thread with your project so we can all follow along to cheer and help out!