Mini Trainer is here. Can I build it? Can I fly it?

Here is the videos of her first two self launched flights.

Flight 1

Flight 2

Flight 3 was the power pod departure. she ran the controls and I did the launch I am still laughing at this one. I am standing there holding the airplane as the power pod takes off in solo by itself land 10-15 feet out in front of . Those little motors has some serious thrust.

Flight 4 The Crash. When launched the plane flew straight and directly nosed down fast and hard, very hard. While I am sorry she crashed, i was duly impressed by the power demonstrated by this airplane. Also Grampa was cited as cause of crash because he was the last to touch the plane-launcher.

The "wreckage is recovered". The fuselage was broken at the tail. One servo was ripped from the fuselage wall. Rubber band holding the wing on broken. Horn ripped our out of rudder.

Undaunted, here is what she has come up with for repairs. She first tried bead of hot glue in the break, that only resulted in making the gap wider, so she glued in a spacer. She live next door. weekdays while school is out she hangs out with Gramma and Grampa while mom is at work. Weekends we send her home so she can have some Mom time. Next week when she come back to us, I am going to have her cut some stris and glue them across the breaks for strength.

standard.jpg

She reglued the servo to the fuselage. I am not sure how she did it but I think she twist the control rods and got the z bends upside down. When she connected the power the servo that was reattached activated by it self flipping back and forth even without the transmitter being on.

medium800.jpg

Grampa in the mean time is learning from her-Granddaughters experience. I am going to order a new motor, servo and flight simulator program.

Any suggestion on a simulator program to use with a PC, Spectrum DXe transmitter and FT Tiny Trainer?

If you are following along with me as I work through this, please don't think i am getting discouraged. I am not. There is a learning curve here. So if I crash off the curve into the ditch, I am learning.

FDS

Elite member
There’s a fair amount of obstacles in your test area. I like to test in a more open space with less trees and no concrete.
If you want to reduce damage the best way is to give yourselves less things to hit and a softer surface to land on. A field with some long grass would be great.
Fixing stuff is great learning all round, it’s how you get used to problem solving and figuring out what went wrong.

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
I think yours will fly great, you're taking the time to do it right and following the build videos to the letter. I wasn't that careful on my first build ;)

Delays a plenty, mainly getting everything ready for the 4th. We do fireworks around here, big time. All the family shows up.

Going to order the flight simulator and some other small parts also Biggest thing to do is learn that transmitter and how it works.

Jimun

Elite member
Oh, I though I was intimidated before I just got the batteries and charger out. I am an instruction reader. I just read the instructions, now i am also scared. Should I have the Fire Department on standby?
I charge my batteries outside away from everything and I keep my batteries in a steel ammo can. Flite Test has a couple of videos on batteries that helped me to be safe with my batteries.

basslord1124

Master member
Yup, maidens and crashes are all part of the experiences. Like @FDS, find a new open area to fly in. Don't want to to have any personal or property damage while you guys are learning. ;) School ball fields (baseball, football, soccer), fields with tall grass, etc. I tend to have good luck with churches too.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Delays a plenty, mainly getting everything ready for the 4th. We do fireworks around here, big time. All the family shows up.

Going to order the flight simulator and some other small parts also Biggest thing to do is learn that transmitter and how it works.
I have slow satellite internet and I was still able to download RealFlight8 online... only had to order the dongle