Mini Tri Test Build

Twitchity

Well it took a little longer than expected since I had to wait a new servo to arrive since my old one had quite a bit of play from a nasty crash a few weeks ago. During this time Mustang contacted me and was kind enough to offer me 3 of his Cobra 2204 1960kv motors from his hex. I couldn't pass up this offer so a trade was made and the motors found their new home shortly after they arrived.

This was the biggest upgrade to the tri, but while I was at it I got a little sick of everything I build being purple so some neon orange paracord was ordered and slapped on the wires (I told you you would be extremely disappointed jhitesma). I also figured it was about time I ordered a camera to do some recording, so I opted to get the Mobius with the standard lens. I printed out a wedge with a 15* angle so hopefully I won't be staring at the ground when flying. I also put the FPV camera plate in the front bottom slot, and the top rear slot. This gave the camera roughly a 15* angle as well.

I threw on my Orange Long Range Satellite Receiver I ordered from HK international (I got two shipped from the international warehouse for the price of one shipped from a US warehouse... Someone please explain how that's even remotely possible/economical) and put on some printed antenna holders. Thanks to Mustang's Sketchup videos I was also able to print some landing gear as a test to see how it would work. They are long enough to have about a 2mm clearance from the battery strap to the ground. Well that's enough talking, time for pictures. And yes, my Naze is only held in place by two bolts at the moment. I needed to take it back apart so I didn't install all 4 because that would have involved me searching for the other two somewhere.

95F613A8-9789-4D40-95FE-4514A08102FF_zpsa8juhicw.jpg

8111B2C6-D06F-490D-BDA8-445828C543CB_zpsi4yjgmla.jpg

9080FF60-843C-46A0-A4DD-02C74DDB274F_zpskgfyvnsu.jpg

And a little something for the future... I guess this is a good place to post it since it's also a tricopter...

kydex-tricopter-v1_zpspdwsgqo7.jpg

jipp

wow. so many toys on your table. heh. the new tri looks cool. sorta like a apache air frame :p
chris.

Twitchity

That's all I have... I swear. As you can see they all have a purple theme, well all but my tricopter now which is why it's not orange :)

Another little teaser, and probably the last one for awhile.

76792B3A-FDE9-48FE-B68A-713139EF6061_zpsmot2eb70.jpg

mpbiv

Oh Boy! Oh Boy!

Looking forward to seeing how this project turns out ;)

Did you print that as separate pieces? Is that still from your Printrbot?

narcolepticltd

I unbuild stuff regularly
Oooooh Landing gears? My Tri needs landing gears... take my money please mister Twitch. Also, are you printing with PLA still or did you get a hold of some ABS?

Twitchity

Oh Boy! Oh Boy!

Looking forward to seeing how this project turns out ;)

Did you print that as separate pieces? Is that still from your Printrbot?

Yes, it's printed in 6 separate pieces form my Printrbot Simple. Three for the top, three for the bottom. I still need to order new linear rods and two stepper motors for my larger 3D printer frame.

narcolepticltd, I can only print in PLA at the moment. My printer does not have a heated bed for ABS (the new one I'm building will eventually).

narcolepticltd

narcolepticltd, I can only print in PLA at the moment. My printer does not have a heated bed for ABS (the new one I'm building will eventually).

I think the lighting in the photos on the black made me think it was ABS, but I can break it even if you print in titanium :cool:

jipp

ok i take back my Apache influence that is so buck rodgers influenced! yeah i dig old sci-fi shows :p
when you add LED, people will call the police for a UFO sighting!
chris.

Twitchity

ok i take back my Apache influence that is so buck rodgers influenced! yeah i dig old sci-fi shows :p
when you add LED, people will call the police for a UFO sighting!
chris.

This must be before my time as I have no idea what you're referring to :p

Cranial, the motors will sit flat on the arms, they are just at an angle due to the printed parts not having a base there for them to sit on.

mpbiv

Hey Twitch, I meant to ask if there was any reason why you chose the standard mobius over the wide angle?

I have several flavors of GoPro to choose from in my arsenal, but for some reason I still cringe when I think about crashing one of them. It might be time for me to get a Mobius too.

Twitchity

The wide angle lens looked to give the image somewhat of a fish eye effect from the sample footage I saw, that's why I went with the standard lens.

jipp

This must be before my time as I have no idea what you're referring to :p

Cranial, the motors will sit flat on the arms, they are just at an angle due to the printed parts not having a base there for them to sit on.

before my times too since i was born in 74. however, my mom loved it so i watched the reruns. laughs.
you can sorta see a picture of the space craft about 47 seconds in. when they are in the hanger. ( the women in the show look good in there skimpy space outfits tho, they have aged well. :p while most 70s things not so much )

of course you may remember twiki. he is the first thing i remember when i thin of buck rodgers. heh.

im sure there are better clips but iv not seen the show in a lot of years.

chris.

Last edited:

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I grew up on Buck Rogers reruns when Buster Crabbe played the lead. When I was 10 Erin Grey had me hook line and sinker...

Thanks, jipp. :)

narcolepticltd

Twitch if you start naming frames, the tri (especially with full fpv, mobius, and landing gear) is looking a lot like a jumping spider.. The latin name is a bit goofy though, so I don't know about calling it a Salticadae =P

Twitchity

I'm horribly coming up with names so I doubt that'll happen ;) I'll keep it simple and non intimidating for the time being