MiniacRC Mighty Mini P-51B/C Mustang FREE PLANS

MiniacRC

MINIACRC MIGHTY MINI P51B/C MUSTANG BUILD

Screen Shot 2021-07-04 at 11.16.29 PM 2.png

About six years ago, the build video of the original FliteTest Mighty Mini P-51D Mustang was released on Youtube as part of a challenge between Josh Bixler and Peter Sripol: how fast can you go with one sheet of foamboard? Among other influences from the hobby community, this challenge inspired the inception of a long series of smaller DIY (do-it-yourself) swappable warbirds that have since dominated several flying fields across this nation.

Personally speaking, that build video was the principal inspiration for me to step with both feet into this unique hobby. After several years of working with the FT community and making wonderful friends at my local flying fields, I'm happy to present a small token of gratitude: a DIY 29"-span Mighty Mini P-51B Razorback Mustang, with publicly available free plans!

To obtain a quick taste of this Mustang in the air, check out the test flight of the first prototype, embedded below.

Model Specifications:

Wingspan: 29" , 737 mm

Propeller: 6x4, 2 or 3-blade

Motor: 2205 2300+ KV (F pack)

ESC: 20 to 30 amp

Servos: three to four 5-9g servos

Battery: 3S 800 to 1300 mAh

All-up weight: 355 g , 12.5 oz

Dry weight: 275 g , 9.7 oz

Free Plans and Build Guide:

Free plans for this build are attached below! The document contains both the full-sized plans (ANSI D 34" x 22" sheets) and the tiled plans (Letter 8.5" x 11" paper) for printing at home/work. Make sure to print these plans at a scale of 100%.

MiniacRC Mini P51B Mustang AIO PLANS.pdf

Solid black lines are meant for cutting and dashed red lines are for scoring. Regions filled with diagonal cyan lines are meant for bevel cuts, blue dotted areas are for removing paper, and green cross-patterns are for removing paper and foam. When transferring the plans to foamboard/posterboard, align the grain direction indicated on the plans with that of the material. Doing so will allow molded pieces to bend around the material's natural grain axis, deterring the formation of unwanted creases.

In addition to the plans, please also download the illustrated build guide, a document that outlines the materials and steps needed to go from printed plans to a flight-ready Mini P51 model.

MiniacRC Mini P51B Build Guide.pdf

Each page consists of images and descriptions that detail the nuances of specific build steps. The techniques involved in the construction of this model are not much different from those needed to build FliteTest design such as the Mini Alpha and the FT Mig 3. However, the length of the assembly process, coupled with the amount of molding, edge-beveling and sanding make it a strong intermediate build that requires the modeler to possess significant experience with foamboard and swappables.

The key to success for models as small as this one is patience. When sanding the trailing edge of the wing or molding the nose region together, it may be tempting to rush the process to save time! As experienced builders would attest, however, taking time and paying attention to each square inch of the pieces being glued together will contribute significantly toward the aesthetic appeal of the final product.

The builder is also encouraged to pay commensurate attention to the text and images in the build guide for the same purpose. If there is a part of the aircraft that it not clearly visible in the images contained in the build guide, feel free to consult the digital model linked above.

Flight Experience:

Once the wing and hatch are secured, the battery strapped in, and the recommended center of gravity (listed on the plans document) confirmed, you are ready to fly your Mini P-51B! Launching this model is a no-brainer. Simply hold the fuselage from the top or the bottom, apply 50% – 75% throttle, and give it a firm toss at about 30 degrees above horizontal. The Mustang should climb out in less than a few seconds and settle into a comfortable cruising attitude.

Screen Shot 2021-07-04 at 11.16.29 PM.png

Once all the controls are trimmed, the P-51 will become a docile bird with a wide speed envelope. Before pushing the throttle stick all the way forward, try experimenting at the lower end. The 29" wingspan coupled with the relatively high-lift airfoils render a pleasant slow-flight experience with ample roll control.

The same proves to be true at the higher end. With the stock FliteTest F-pack setup, the Mini P-51B can pull up into an unlimited vertical climb and perform loops, rolls, half Cuban eights and more! The generous surface area of the rudder should also allow for stunning knife-edges and point-rolls in the hands of an experienced pilot. This P-51B loves long lines and graceful maneuvers as opposed to abrupt turns, but the structural integrity of the wing allows the model to sustain high g-forces in both directions.

Screen Shot 2021-07-04 at 11.16.29 PM.png

When it is finally time to land, point your Mustang into the wing and gradually reduce throttle. If necessary, the model can break into a gentle glide on its approach. If you do not install landing gear, it is preferable to land on grass to avoid damaging the paper underneath the nose of the airplane.

Once you are comfortable with the handling characteristics of the model, feel free to move to the next level and attempt streamer combat, formation flight, etc., and please do share your flight reviews online for the benefit of other builders!

Thank you!

The only thing better than flying a model warbird – is flying many model warbirds in formation! I would strongly encourage you to check out other mini "swappables" designed by talented members of the FliteTest community such as Nic Lechner, Nathan Griffin and the 13th Squadron. To say that the amount of fun grows exponentially with the number of wingmen in the air is an understatement!

I truly hope that your experience with this design, from building to decorating to flying (to crashing to duct-taping to flying again), is fun-filled, educational and inspirational. As any FT community member would say, we love our community more than we do our planes, and we encourage you to share your experience with others, to inspire them to dream and create. Words are not enough to express my gratitude for the FliteTest family for the encouragement and support they provide for designers like myself to pursue this hobby in an economical and educational manner. Thank you for reading this write-up. Happy flying, and go make some memories!!!

Signing off once again - MiniacRC

Last edited:

AussieBison

This is just amazing! Genius piece of engineering indeed!
And the build guide - very comprehensive.. great job :)

Looking forward to seeing everyone's build.. I will post pictures of mine as I start and progress..

GrizWiz

Elite member
Turns out making the design simple is a big task! You know it is hard when the entire inner body takes up a full sheet of foam! I am going to work on some 3D models for the formers and tabs since those will take forever to cut! Maybe the canopy and scoop to if I'm feeling like it!

GrizWiz

Elite member
@GrizWiz Oof yeah! :(
Maybe you could try the P51B designed by @Grifflyer a while back. Its a modified version of the FT mini mustang. I have a tiled version of the plans that I haven't exported yet, let me know if you'd like them.
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?resources/mighty-mini-p-51b-mustang.103/
I've built it! Still in the hangar! Ive been wanting to design a mini Ms p-51 for a while but it is just a very complicated design with lots of curves! I might base a p-51d off of your design. I did partially simplify your design too! I removed 15 parts and made some of them easier to cut. I will build yours after I get some new knife blades!

Niez13

Elite member
Awesome job Sanka! It really captures all the angles of the mustang! Definitely the best model of foamboard mustang around. Love the detail with the front cowling/radiator intake. Nice job!

MooreRC

So I needed a new mini plane, your mustang looked the an excellent build and flyer. Your build instruction very in depth and easy to follow. For my maiden flight my throws were probably way too high and the CG a bit off, but it still flew magnificently. Again this is a great design!
DSCF7955.JPG

MiniacRC

@MooreRC Wow that's an awesome build, thanks for sharing and thanks also for the feedback! :) The wing and fairing on your build really pop!

I agree, maybe the CG was a little too far back, but I'm not sure. What bothers me more is the slight left-turn tendency: I experienced the same thing on my second prototype in high wind conditions (especially when flying with the wind). Should I add a bit more rightward thrust angle on the powerpod in the plans? Thanks!

MooreRC

@MooreRC Wow that's an awesome build, thanks for sharing and thanks also for the feedback! :) The wing and fairing on your build really pop!

I agree, maybe the CG was a little too far back, but I'm not sure. What bothers me more is the slight left-turn tendency: I experienced the same thing on my second prototype in high wind conditions (especially when flying with the wind). Should I add a bit more rightward thrust angle on the powerpod in the plans? Thanks!
Thanks, the CG was back a little too far, but on another flight I moved it forward which helped.

I did notice the slight tendency to turn left, as there was a steady breeze as well when I was flying to. So I think a bit of rightward thrust would help it tremendously!

william Metge

MINIACRC MIGHTY MINI P51B/C MUSTANG BUILD

View attachment 202905

About six years ago, the build video of the original FliteTest Mighty Mini P-51D Mustang was released on Youtube as part of a challenge between Josh Bixler and Peter Sripol: how fast can you go with one sheet of foamboard? Among other influences from the hobby community, this challenge inspired the inception of a long series of smaller DIY (do-it-yourself) swappable warbirds that have since dominated several flying fields across this nation.

Personally speaking, that build video was the principal inspiration for me to step with both feet into this unique hobby. After several years of working with the FT community and making wonderful friends at my local flying fields, I'm happy to present a small token of gratitude: a DIY 29"-span Mighty Mini P-51B Razorback Mustang, with publicly available free plans!

View attachment 202906

To obtain a quick taste of this Mustang in the air, check out the test flight of the first prototype, embedded below.

Model Specifications:

Wingspan: 29" , 737 mm

Propeller: 6x4, 2 or 3-blade

Motor: 2205 2300+ KV (F pack)

ESC: 20 to 30 amp

Servos: three to four 5-9g servos

Battery: 3S 800 to 1300 mAh

All-up weight: 355 g , 12.5 oz

Dry weight: 275 g , 9.7 oz

Free Plans and Build Guide:

Free plans for this build are attached below! The document contains both the full-sized plans (ANSI D 34" x 22" sheets) and the tiled plans (Letter 8.5" x 11" paper) for printing at home/work. Make sure to print these plans at a scale of 100%.

MiniacRC Mini P51B Mustang AIO PLANS.pdf

Solid black lines are meant for cutting and dashed red lines are for scoring. Regions filled with diagonal cyan lines are meant for bevel cuts, blue dotted areas are for removing paper, and green cross-patterns are for removing paper and foam. When transferring the plans to foamboard/posterboard, align the grain direction indicated on the plans with that of the material. Doing so will allow molded pieces to bend around the material's natural grain axis, deterring the formation of unwanted creases.

In addition to the plans, please also download the illustrated build guide, a document that outlines the materials and steps needed to go from printed plans to a flight-ready Mini P51 model.

MiniacRC Mini P51B Build Guide.pdf

Each page consists of images and descriptions that detail the nuances of specific build steps. The techniques involved in the construction of this model are not much different from those needed to build FliteTest design such as the Mini Alpha and the FT Mig 3. However, the length of the assembly process, coupled with the amount of molding, edge-beveling and sanding make it a strong intermediate build that requires the modeler to possess significant experience with foamboard and swappables.

The key to success for models as small as this one is patience. When sanding the trailing edge of the wing or molding the nose region together, it may be tempting to rush the process to save time! As experienced builders would attest, however, taking time and paying attention to each square inch of the pieces being glued together will contribute significantly toward the aesthetic appeal of the final product.

View attachment 202909

The builder is also encouraged to pay commensurate attention to the text and images in the build guide for the same purpose. If there is a part of the aircraft that it not clearly visible in the images contained in the build guide, feel free to consult the digital model linked above.

Flight Experience:

Once the wing and hatch are secured, the battery strapped in, and the recommended center of gravity (listed on the plans document) confirmed, you are ready to fly your Mini P-51B! Launching this model is a no-brainer. Simply hold the fuselage from the top or the bottom, apply 50% – 75% throttle, and give it a firm toss at about 30 degrees above horizontal. The Mustang should climb out in less than a few seconds and settle into a comfortable cruising attitude.

View attachment 202908
Once all the controls are trimmed, the P-51 will become a docile bird with a wide speed envelope. Before pushing the throttle stick all the way forward, try experimenting at the lower end. The 29" wingspan coupled with the relatively high-lift airfoils render a pleasant slow-flight experience with ample roll control.

The same proves to be true at the higher end. With the stock FliteTest F-pack setup, the Mini P-51B can pull up into an unlimited vertical climb and perform loops, rolls, half Cuban eights and more! The generous surface area of the rudder should also allow for stunning knife-edges and point-rolls in the hands of an experienced pilot. This P-51B loves long lines and graceful maneuvers as opposed to abrupt turns, but the structural integrity of the wing allows the model to sustain high g-forces in both directions.

View attachment 202907

When it is finally time to land, point your Mustang into the wing and gradually reduce throttle. If necessary, the model can break into a gentle glide on its approach. If you do not install landing gear, it is preferable to land on grass to avoid damaging the paper underneath the nose of the airplane.

Once you are comfortable with the handling characteristics of the model, feel free to move to the next level and attempt streamer combat, formation flight, etc., and please do share your flight reviews online for the benefit of other builders!

Thank you!

The only thing better than flying a model warbird – is flying many model warbirds in formation! I would strongly encourage you to check out other mini "swappables" designed by talented members of the FliteTest community such as Nic Lechner, Nathan Griffin and the 13th Squadron. To say that the amount of fun grows exponentially with the number of wingmen in the air is an understatement!

I truly hope that your experience with this design, from building to decorating to flying (to crashing to duct-taping to flying again), is fun-filled, educational and inspirational. As any FT community member would say, we love our community more than we do our planes, and we encourage you to share your experience with others, to inspire them to dream and create. Words are not enough to express my gratitude for the FliteTest family for the encouragement and support they provide for designers like myself to pursue this hobby in an economical and educational manner. Thank you for reading this write-up. Happy flying, and go make some memories!!!

Signing off once again - MiniacRC

I love the little plane here, I just finished building my own. I am going to try to maiden it tomorrow I also plan on painting it if it works out. I love the little spinners you have on them.