MiniacRC Mighty Mini P47 Thunderbolt

MiniacRC

Mighty Mini P47 Community Design

With the FliteTest Master Series Thunderbolt coming out soon, I thought it would be a good time to show y'all a mighty mini I've been working on since January. Got major delays along the way due to college but finally it's finished and ready for release to the community. Meet the MiniacRC Mighty Mini P47 Jug! Due to popular demand both a bubbletop and razorback version are available.

52917271_1151914911648170_7114153266107121664_n 2.jpg 55892399_1167908600048801_3063573358755971072_n.jpg IMG_20190407_101814_Bokeh.jpg Release model1.jpg

Specs
24.8" / 638 mm span
≈ 200 grams dry weight
3 to 4 channel capable

Free plans, build video, etc....
https://www.flitetest.com/articles/miniacrc-mighty-mini-p47-thunderbolt

Flight Video:

It's a surprisingly docile flier with sporty characteristics. Ideally it runs off of the F-pack with 5-9 gram servos. Takes a little less than 2 sheets of foam and a letter sized page of posterboard. We flew it in formation with the Mini Mustang both on 4S and it was CRAZY FUN! Hope y'all like it, and I'd appreciate your suggestions/criticisms for future designs.

1561679275850.png

Last edited:
MiniacRc, I love all your designs! I'm ordering some more motors, servos and props getting ready for the Ft P47, I guess I have to add some smaller stuff to the cart for your p40, and p47!

CapnBry

Elite member
Wow this looks really cool and I've been meaning to try some of those more advanced techniques. I'm putting this on my to-build list for when my current F-pack is destroyed. It is on an FT Arrow right now, and I think it has one more good crash left in it. Great quality on the release video as well, although I think it could have used a quick bit of stats to denote the scale since it is hard to tell if that's a 1500mm wingspan plane or a 700mm plane or that it is 4ch.

@MiniacRC, im just watching your build, you sir are a craftsman. Only way to put it. Thank you for these planes, and plans. I will be sticking with smaller planes for a while, its just easier and they can be really fast, or nice slower lunch break fliers

CapnBry

Elite member
You don't happen to have the plans in svg or illustrator format to share do you?

I'm here in the US Letter paper-size-land and these plans are reaaaal difficult to put the tiles back together. If I print the large pages in Acrobat Reader DC poster mode, there's just not enough context to be able to align the pages properly. The molds are curved so I can't use a ruler to line up the edge, but not curved enough to have a recognizable piece of the curve overlap on the edge. I've tried to import the PDF into Inkscape and copy paste the parts onto a new document I can put alignment marks on, but Inkscape really chokes on the complexity of the import and hangs (I've waited over an hour for pasting the wing half and it never completed). I can use the tiled pages for many of the parts, but it is a lot of work to reassemble the larger pieces from the tiles in a new document.

mayan

Legendary member
You don't happen to have the plans in svg or illustrator format to share do you?

I'm here in the US Letter paper-size-land and these plans are reaaaal difficult to put the tiles back together. If I print the large pages in Acrobat Reader DC poster mode, there's just not enough context to be able to align the pages properly. The molds are curved so I can't use a ruler to line up the edge, but not curved enough to have a recognizable piece of the curve overlap on the edge. I've tried to import the PDF into Inkscape and copy paste the parts onto a new document I can put alignment marks on, but Inkscape really chokes on the complexity of the import and hangs (I've waited over an hour for pasting the wing half and it never completed). I can use the tiled pages for many of the parts, but it is a lot of work to reassemble the larger pieces from the tiles in a new document.
Did you try importing the large file to illustrator? That could work for you.

MiniacRC

Thanks for the kind words sir. You're right I left the specs out here 🤦‍♂️
This guy is a 3 to 4 channel 25" bird.

MiniacRC

Hi @CapnBry
I live in the states as well and the beta builders and I didn't seem to have any trouble using the provided tiled pages for the larger pieces like the wings. ☹️ Would it help if I added the crosshairs that Dan puts on his tiled plans?
For the SVG or DXF format , since I use a student software I cant distribute the dxf too
freely but since the PDF is vectored you can use the website https://cloudconvert.com to change the PDF to your favorite format. I use it convert FliteTest plans all the time.
Sorry the plans made for a hard time 😨

MiniacRC

With your permission, id love to make a 30"-32" version of this to go with my 34" master series corsair.

Thanks so much for the kind words man! I'm just an enthusiast and I love FliteTest. 🥰 Feel free to scale them as you wish brother, but the formers and stuff may not scale too perfectly due to the complexity of the build :(.
Curious, did you scale down John's Corsair or is the original itself 34"?

CapnBry

Elite member
Hi @CapnBry
I live in the states as well and the beta builders and I didn't seem to have any trouble using the provided tiled pages for the larger pieces like the wings. ☹️
Oh geez, I am a big dumb idiot. When I went to print the plans initially, I scrolled down to the tiled plans and Acrobat was telling me that it would print each page on two pages so my brain immediately assumed it was designed for a different sheet size.
WrongSizeSelected.png

As soon as I clicked "Size" it puts them onto single 8.5x11" pages which are easy to line up no problem. /facepalm Building myself a new P47 right now, sorry about being such a dummy.

CapnBry

Elite member
Whoa, Nelly. This is the first time I've done a model with this former/mold system so it is slow going. The good news is that all of the parts are so small I've almost got it all cut out and I haven't even used up the first DTFB sheet since I've just been cutting parts out of my scrap pile and larger scraps from the garbage. I've listened to about 5 podcasts so far but I'm not even 1/4 of the way through the build video! Still, it isn't looking bad. I used a 3D printed spar, which won't be as strong as plywood but those wings are so tiny what could go wrong?
DSC06532.JPG

DSC06535.JPG

If you're looking at that nose and saying "Wow, nice work for your first wrap-job... but something about that isn't quiiiiite right...." let me reveal the mystery: the first two sections I put on upside down. Now, if one follows the instructions do not glue Fuselage Former A and B to the fuselage, then that would not be an issue. Just pull it off and turn it right side up. I clearly was too busy shaking my butt while building, so not only did I not do it the right way, I also glued it on real good so it can't come off. How about I glue the wings on upside down and call it fixed? :rolleyes:

So far the instructions are really good and it is going to be a real looker with all those sweet curved lines.

Attachments

• P47-Spar.stl.txt
    4.5 KB · Views: 0

mayan

Legendary member
Whoa, Nelly. This is the first time I've done a model with this former/mold system so it is slow going. The good news is that all of the parts are so small I've almost got it all cut out and I haven't even used up the first DTFB sheet since I've just been cutting parts out of my scrap pile and larger scraps from the garbage. I've listened to about 5 podcasts so far but I'm not even 1/4 of the way through the build video! Still, it isn't looking bad. I used a 3D printed spar, which won't be as strong as plywood but those wings are so tiny what could go wrong?
View attachment 136034
View attachment 136035

If you're looking at that nose and saying "Wow, nice work for your first wrap-job... but something about that isn't quiiiiite right...." let me reveal the mystery: the first two sections I put on upside down. Now, if one follows the instructions do not glue Fuselage Former A and B to the fuselage, then that would not be an issue. Just pull it off and turn it right side up. I clearly was too busy shaking my butt while building, so not only did I not do it the right way, I also glued it on real good so it can't come off. How about I glue the wings on upside down and call it fixed? :rolleyes:

So far the instructions are really good and it is going to be a real looker with all those sweet curved lines.
Looking good thanks for the spar STL file.