Minim OSD not displaying data?

I thought I had my osd setup correctly but it is not displaying the actual osd at all. I do not have a gps connected as I mainly just want battery information so i set mine up slightly differently. I have a 5v and ground from the cc3d connected to the appropriate pins on the left side of the osd with the rest of the pins unused. and on the right side I have the video in and out, as well as a pass through for 12v in and out from the battery to my gimbal. I couldn't use the pass through from my camera to vtx as the camera only runs on 5v. The video is still displayed but there is no osd? I have already configured everything on my computer but still nothing. Do I have to use the Tx and Rx pins or something? Thanks,

the OSD i'm using:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B073QH9LB7/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

LitterBug

Techno Nut
It should still work without tx/rx. what lights are lit on the OSD board? Do you have any pictures to share?

Cheers!
LitterBug

There are two solid red lights and one flashing blue light. When I press the button the blue light briefly gets brighter and then continues flashing, the signal cuts out and then resumes but it does not look like anything changed. Am I supposed to connect the ground wire from the cc3d to the ground pin or the BLK pin, I just assumed the ground pin?

photo.jpg

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
How did you configure the OSD? The wiring seems correct, everything is powered properly so it's probably something in the config.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
It's possible that the Minim OSD is not correctly detecting NTSC/PAL from the camera and thus not displaying anything. They can be pretty tempermental especially with ccd cameras. I have had better luck with cmos cameras on them. Do you have any other cameras that could be used for testing temporarily? You could try forcing the OSD to the correct protocol too.

Cheers!
LitterBug

You were right! The osd was set to NTSC and simply switching it to pal gives me an overlay. I thought I had an NTSC setup this whole time. I have another problem now though, the OSD screen is stuck on "waiting for mavlink heartbeat"? So Iv'e been trouble shooting it and I connected the rx and tx cables from the cc3d just in case but it's still not moving from that screen. Any tips?

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
To get any useful readings you have to connect it to a UART on the board (Rx to Tx, Tx to Rx) and enable MSP on that UART in the ports tab.

To get any useful readings you have to connect it to a UART on the board (Rx to Tx, Tx to Rx) and enable MSP on that UART in the ports tab.
Sorry I don't know what you mean by "UART"? Also, why would I need to enable MSP if I am using mavlink? I'm running the cc3d on libre pilot and I'm not sure where I would even change this setting in the first place.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Sorry, missed that bit. I'm not familiar with Libre Pilot or mav link, but you have to configure the FC to send that data to the OSD. Otherwise it will just sit there waiting for data.