MiniQuad Battery Findings

jsut210

Expert Crash-Lander
So today some friends and I had a quad race down at our local RC club. Needless to say, I'm going to need more power to be competitive. So instead of flying my 5030 props, I'm going to give some 5040 and 5030 3 blade props a shot. But when I do this, my current consumption will go up. This in theory will lead to shorter flight times. I only get 5 mins on my 1000mah 35c batteries right now so I'm looking to upgrade maybe. What I'm trying to decide is if I should buy more 1000mah batteries and just switch packs more often, or buy a few 1300mah batteries and fly for a few more mins. I've listed the two batteries below and what I think are some pros and cons.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=63378 1300mah
pros:
- longer flight time (maybe)

cons:
- more weight = less speed
- more $$

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=21389 1000mah
pros:
- less $$, can buy more for same price
- less weight = more speed

cons:
- shorter flight time

Knowing all this I'm curious to know what other people would go with. Thanks for any help!

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Consider a higher C rating as well as more mAh. I know it's a double whammy on the wallet and weight, but the higher C rating gives more power in a straightaway and lasts longer because it shouldn't sag so soon.

I like the 1000mAh Zippys for my eMAX 1806s with 6045 rotors on my Polakium quad. That copter is so light and quick and the motors sip power so the copter flies acro for about 8 minutes on a 1000mAh lipo.

My Warpquad will chainsmoke 1000mAh 35 C zippys in about 3 minutes. I also have some MRSS 1300 35C lipos. On the WarpQuad these last about 5 minutes. For the WarpQuad I like a 45-90 C 1300mAh Nanotech. Those last <> 8 minutes. The Zippys seem to sag as after I land I can test voltage and see 3.8 - 3.9 per cell. The Nanotechs stay in the air longer and a few minutes after I land show voltage of 3.6 or so (I set vbat at 3.5).

Check out a Nanotech 1300 45-90C for your mini-quad. I think you will see more powerful punchouts as well as longer flight times.

Ocean

I run either a 1300 or even a 2200 on my mini quad (emax 2280 and 12a SimonK ESCs). I would think for only racing a 1000 is probably your best bet. But for another type of flying a 1500-1800 is probably better just because of the extended flight times.