Miniquad Fliers - What Props are You Using

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Well its that time again...time to stock up on more props. I've been using DAL 5040 V2 triblades lately on my martian and have noticed them breaking or bending into retirement a little more than I would like. They are still great props, but I am starting to consider switching props. Its been a while since I've research what props are in, so I need your help.

I want to know what props you guys and gals are using these days. Also why? Pros and cons; are they durable, fast, cheap, etc? Also list your setup so we know what limits you are dealing with.

Hopefully we can keep this thread going as a current best prop list so that others will be able to benefit in the future.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Sadly mate I am dedicated DAL atm. I love both the 5040 tris and the 5045s as well. The stock 6x4.5 two blade props that came with the Versa Copter are very durable props too so maybe see who makes them and try their 3 by's. I do have a few sets of DAL 6x4.5 bull nose you can have, or some Raycorp 5x4x3's that are so thin the literally spin themselves flat on 3s hehe. I never got to really try them bullnose more then once due to too much heat on 3s before I swapped to 4s and went with the 5x4x3 DALS

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I am running the DALProp 5045 Tri on the Hellbender and Baby Tricopter. Why? Because in the event they hit something, they bend and don't explode. That may be the difference between getting back to the grass field or spending a bunch of time searching through a cornfield. (well, I finally exploded a DALprop tonight launching full speed into a table... footage coming soon)

For 3", I am completely sold on the RotorX 3040T props.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Hellbender: DYS XM20A ESCs with Edge 2204 2300kv motors
Baby Tri: DYS XS30A ESCs with Edge 2206 2100kv motors
3" stuff: DYS XM20A ESCs with 1306 4000kv and 1406 4100kv motors

Here's a video from Sunday full throttle on the Hellbender from the ground, around a tree, and back before doing some lazy goofy flying. 4S Tattu 1550 75C battery on this flight. This was the second such hit on this battery which is why it started at 585 mah.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
PSSST.... LB...

DON'T lead with yer face.

Pretty much most people are using either DAL's, HQ, or Gemfans in the 5x4x3 flavor these days. Skitzo has his own brand out but haven't heard much on them yet. Rotor Riot guys are always talking about the HQ props. From what I gather they are brittle but really efficient according to Steele in several of his videos if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
I may go back and try the DAL 5045BN triblades that I was using before finding them incompatible with my setup at the time. With the new KISS updates I may be able to pull them off. They definitely had a nice punch and seemed pretty durable. I have a few unopened packs left over.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
The ones I am currently flying are T5045 Dal tri blades. I have hit the fiberglass poles on my flags and gate a bunch of times and they get minor dings. I roll them back flat with a socket and they are good to go with very little vibration added. I have only managed to break one of them since I have been using them. I have hit hard enough that several times I made white stress marks and bent them before but that is rare.

They may be heavy and may not be the most efficient but I am happy flying them for what I am currently able to do.

The new batch arrives today I think they are the T5045bn's I couldn't find any straight up T5045's not that I would know the difference until I see and use them hehe. On a side note the pnp50 is in that order so I will have osd this evening!!!

Ocean

I like the T5045 V2 from DAL. I run them on the same motors as you with no issue at all. They're a good compromise for both flat out speed and control. I've also tried the Q5040 quadblades, they are extremely robotic and have amazing control, but there's no flat out speed. All depends what you want really. One thing to say about DAL though it that after a few crashes you will get vibrations at full throttle due to the fact they bend and don't break.

The Racecraft 5051 are all the hype at the moment. But we warned. They kill batteries. Over 30A a motor apparently.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Looking forward to how you like the pnp50 Psyborg. I personally don't use an OSD, but I know Steele runs a pnp50.

Yeah those Racekraft 5051s are the most insane looking props I've seen since the HQ sixblades. I'm not looking for absolute ludicrous speed though, nor do I want to break anything. I've had to retire a number of DALs because they would cause vibrations from being slightly out of shape. Thats why I'm considering HQs because you will definitely know when they are not going to fly well. The price of HQs has lowered to $1.60 for two at ReadyMadeRC. Not looking forward to breaking all four props in one crash like in the old days though.

Habakkukk

Fly Eagles, Fly!
Looking forward to how you like the pnp50 Psyborg. I personally don't use an OSD, but I know Steele runs a pnp50.

Yeah those Racekraft 5051s are the most insane looking props I've seen since the HQ sixblades. I'm not looking for absolute ludicrous speed though, nor do I want to break anything. I've had to retire a number of DALs because they would cause vibrations from being slightly out of shape. Thats why I'm considering HQs because you will definitely know when they are not going to fly well. The price of HQs has lowered to $1.60 for two at ReadyMadeRC. Not looking forward to breaking all four props in one crash like in the old days though.

My Rk 5051's are on their way. I'll be spinning them with zmx x25 fusions (2206 2300). I currently run quad blade dals on my racing rigs and prefer them over the tri's for racing. Tri's still have a place in my bag for Acro flying though.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Been doing too much build, fly, crash, repeat lately. Going to need to restock on 5" blades. I may branch out and try something other than the DALPROP 5045 that I'm currently using. Have used Gemfans in the past, but was loosing 3 blades a landing if I did my usual landing flip. Have used HQ which were better, but tended to break easier than the DALs too. Looking at what my local providers have that could be here by friday. I'm lucky to have RMRC and BuddyRC in my town for easy pickup or next day delivery. Even getting stuff from Flite Test usually comes next day if they have it in stock.

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
My new props came a day early yesterday. As I mentioned before these are not the same as I have been flying. The straight up T5045's are thick paddled and very sturdy props. the ones I got this time TJ5045's are much thinner in the blades. These are more like I was flying on the Versa Copter. I am not sure what ones I like better. I think the Versa Copter had smoother turning but not as much umph in punch outs. This will be an interesting comparison on the Alien. I am less worried over crash breakage but more so on losing blades to flag or gate strikes I have been plowing thru on the ones I current have on it.

Anyway heres the picture of the difference between the T5045 and the TJ5045 props. I am pretty sure the ones you used Snarls were the TJ5045's as it takes a serious hit to break the T5045s. Those may be the ones you want to test.

Dal 5045's.png

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
I am using T5040s which have a smaller connection to the hub. They don't break incredibly often but when they do it is always at the hub.

Earlier in the summer I was flying with the T5045s which are beefier like you say. From what I recall I did not break any of those, but bent some out of commission.

The TJ5045s have the classic two blade prop shape. I would guess they are about as durable as the T5040s.

0004146_dal-t5040-v2-tri-blade-super-durable-propellers-2x-cw-2x-ccw-green.jpeg

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I am hoping now that I don't seem to crash as much I won't go thru 3 + props a session like when I was learning on the Versa Copter. I am really interested in how much faster the tj5045's spool up then the T5045's. Maybe that will help relieve some of my catch issues after a flip or roll where I haven't been getting back on the throttle fast enough or hard enough.

I did some work on that today practicing throttle pumps in windy conditions as low as I could keep it and still be under control. And off topic I FINALLY figured how to clip the ends of my videos and add music so there isn't long stretches of time at the start if I have video sync issues or or just the time to get the goggles on and get into the air. So another minor step forward today.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
RMRC just got the RaceKraft 5051 props in today. Ordered two sets to try on the Baby Tricopter. Running 2206 2100kv motors with 30A ESCs on it, so should not be a problem pushing them.

Cheers!
LitterBug

PS: Not worried about killing batteries Ocean. I only have 3 motors @ 30A ;)

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
LB doesn't have tri copters. He has quads with three blades. That's why he has been having so much trouble tuning his tri copters. :p I will admit his flying skills are excellent keeping them in the air the way he does.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I have been diagnosed with "Try" copter disease. If I see a Copter, I gotta TRY it.... I seek group therapy frequently at the flying field for this disorder.

Cheers!
LitterBug