Minwax alternatives

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
So, as the title suggests, I'm looking at a potential alternative for Minwax to seal my new Sea Duck, since I didn't make it from a Speedbuild kit or out of WR foamboard.

Here's the problem I have - the local Home Depot only carries Varathane, and the Lowe's near me has been out of stock on the oil based Minwax Polyurethane for quite some time now (I'm beginning to suspect they're not going to restock it for some reason, since it's been a month and they've been mysteriously out of stock every time I check).

Has anyone tried any other brands besides Minwax? I know there have been alternatives suggested for many of our European friends, but as I live in the US, some of those options are rather difficult to come by LOL. :)

Being frugal, I'd rather buy it and not have to pop it open to test it, then find out what I want to use eats foam, so I figured I'd throw it out to everyone here to see who's tried an alternative. I'd like to paint this one in the Sea Duck livery AND fly it off of the water in Mission Bay once in a while (they do float flying down there near Sea World on occasion), so if anyone has any suggestions for alternatives, I'm open to them!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I have scotch guard spray I will be trying. That's if the hull is solid, then this might work.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Anyone ever try that rubberized spray waterproofing coating stuff? I've used it for other things... Thought I might try it on my next water bird...

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Anyone ever try that rubberized spray waterproofing coating stuff? I've used it for other things... Thought I might try it on my next water bird...

I'd test that on a scrap piece of foam first; it seems like it'd be adding a LOT of extra weight to the foam. I'd be curious to how it would work, though!

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Yeah, that was my concern too... But I was thinking as more of a protective layer on my floats since I use them for ice, snow, and gravel more than water! Lol

Keno

So, as the title suggests, I'm looking at a potential alternative for Minwax to seal my new Sea Duck, since I didn't make it from a Speedbuild kit or out of WR foamboard.

Here's the problem I have - the local Home Depot only carries Varathane, and the Lowe's near me has been out of stock on the oil based Minwax Polyurethane for quite some time now (I'm beginning to suspect they're not going to restock it for some reason, since it's been a month and they've been mysteriously out of stock every time I check).

Has anyone tried any other brands besides Minwax? I know there have been alternatives suggested for many of our European friends, but as I live in the US, some of those options are rather difficult to come by LOL. :)

Being frugal, I'd rather buy it and not have to pop it open to test it, then find out what I want to use eats foam, so I figured I'd throw it out to everyone here to see who's tried an alternative. I'd like to paint this one in the Sea Duck livery AND fly it off of the water in Mission Bay once in a while (they do float flying down there near Sea World on occasion), so if anyone has any suggestions for alternatives, I'm open to them!
I think any oil based polyurethane would work. Sorry my mistake for mentioning Mod Pod Blue Bottle in my original reply, is not oil based it is water. In saying that, test anything new on a scape of DTFB would be a good suggestion. Although, you could shop on Amazon, or go to a local Ace Hardware, True Value, etc., to find a new supplier.

Last edited:

jack954

I have the same problem where I am at. They did not sell the oil based minwax when I went to home depot, so I used the varathane ultimate polyurethane oil based. I used it on my simple cub but have not flown it off the water. It has held up a lot better in the morning dew than the planes I haven't treated. I also just tested a piece and ran it under the faucet and let it sit and it didn't peel like the non coated piece. I will test it on the simple scout on floats I am currently building on the wing and control surfaces and let you know how it does.

kdobson83

Walmart carries oil based min wax. That's where I get mine.
But I have tested a couple different types of spray paint sealers. They are water based so you have to do multiple light coats. I do 2 to 3 light to medium coats depending. Spray sealer first then paint, helps keep the paint from delaminating the paper. But I can't attest to it flying off water. It beads the water up pretty good but I feel like minwax is better. My suggestion, stick with minwax for water planes. But if your just wanting water resistance for morning dew or humidity a spray sealer works. Here what I use.
20190730_203849.jpg

Out of the 3 I tested this one worked the best when applying heavier coats. They all resisted the water tho. I took scraps of foam, sprayed them, then dunked in water. They all worked. But after about a 30 minute dunk you could tell it was only resistant and not proof. Where as minwax I've left a test part in a sink of water over night and it was fine.

Theuglycamel

I've been using Titebond at a 1/10 ratio with water. Mix till you think it's enough and mix some more. it's resistant and I like the way it seems to adhere the paper to the foamboard. I'm testing Duck Tape peel n stick clear laminate on my Cruiser right now. Really liked it until I took it outside for glide testing. Because i applied it inside in the ac, after 15 min in the sun, all the air trapped under the laminate bubbled. I spent a day wiping the bubbles out, cool it off inside and warm it up outside, repeat. I think if I'd have applied it in warm air, or tried using an iron or heat gun, I could have prevented most of the bubbling. live and learn, other than that I LOVE laminate. I'll have to try real film next time....

Javiester

Elite member
In the TT I have used liquid silicone with 96º medicinal alcohol
waterproofs perfectly, dries very fast and weighs little
The liquid silicone is used as eva glue and can be purchased at any dollar store
give a slightly shiny finish