Minwax Question

dmaximob

Hey all, I am using minwax for the first time on my Cessna build. I am wondering if poster board is to be minwaxed as well.
I did a test run on a spare piece and it really soaked in quickly and made the poster board somewhat transparent.
I want to use spray paint in the end.

What are your experiences with minwaxing poster board?

slyke

I don't put minwax on the poster board - just a few light coats of spray paint. The other option is to get colored poster board.
-Stephen

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
Use craft paper or even tissue paper with the Minwax. Using poster board is just adding a lot of unneeded weight.

Once Minwax is dried you will be able to spray paint it no problem.

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
With solvent base minwax you just wipe it on and wipe it off again. You don't need much. The point is just to seal the paper. The minwax works well on the DTFB because it stops the solvents in spray paint or water from de-laminating the paper. For the parts made with card (poster board) rather and foam board, if you are going to paint, there is less need to minwax since the paint should seal the card. It's more your choice. I think it's a good idea to do it if you are not going to paint immediately. My guess is that if you are putting on enough minwax to make the paper card transparent, you are using too much.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I usually minwax after construction, and after the maiden in most cases. If you do it then, you have no issues with glue bonding to board, and it's easy just to coat anything exposed -- foamboard, exposed foam, paper tape, posterboard turtledecks . . . everything -- so it all gets a uniform coat.

It doesn't hurt, but help? I wouldn't go out of the way to do them, but if they're already attached, it's almost harder not to.

RAM

Has anyone tried adding wood dye to minwax? According to this guy it can be water solvent or oil based. Since paper = celllulose = wood, it might be a great way to color our airplanes.

pressalltheknobs

No but it's an interesting idea if you are not going to paint. Think you would have to oil based dye with oil based minwax though - but I haven't watched to video yet.

RAM

No but it's an interesting idea if you are not going to paint. Think you would have to oil based dye with oil based minwax though - but I haven't watched to video yet.

From what I saw, you would have to use the small liquid bottles he shows, not the full cans or the raw powder. Apparently, the squeeze bottles are formulated to dissolve into anything (water or minwax?). We can't use anything water based on DTFB but solvent minwax does work.