Captain Jay

Elite member

Attachments

• IMG_20200709_170935.jpg
    IMG_20200709_170935.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0

Homey

Elite member
Here is the original bad ass... Sadly it got destroyed. The ailerons got weak...
Looks very cool. I've been struggling with the cg. I downloaded a few pics of Mirage cg marks and then transcribed to my planes scale. I know there are cg calculators out there, but I'm not proficient in all the terminology. Lol

Peter

Flitedesign 3d

Elite member
Looks very cool. I've been struggling with the cg. I downloaded a few pics of Mirage cg marks and then transcribed to my planes scale. I know there are cg calculators out there, but I'm not proficient in all the terminology. Lol

Peter
On my maiden the cg was 160 mm back from intakes and it flew quite well, not saying its the best cg but it was good. Once I do more flights I try different cg points.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
finally getting back to this. some pics to help out the next. not an easy build and not one i recommend for scratch cuts. by the time i printed, tiled, cut, and then cut foam, i was far from perfect and it shows. i still have hopes it will fly well and then i will pretty it up.

20210130_160517.jpg

20210130_160531.jpg

me :cool:

Captain Jay

Elite member
I took it out to the field yesterday, but the wind was a bit too much for me. Had to add quite a bit of ballast to the tail to get it to balance. Looking forward to it, but I'm worried the wing loading is high and it may be a bit twitchy.

Peter
It will be quick and maybe a little twitchy. Put lots of expo. If you had a small gyro, that would smooth it out too. I found slow flight was easily achieved with mine. Landings were soft.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
Missing Parts is finished. 2627-4500kv 6-Blade EDF on 4S-1000mah w/ AUW @ 471g.

20210206_161830.jpg

flew it this morning and can report it is a good flyer. need to add some more expo to calm it down just a touch but other than that it flew great. only issue i had was the battery is just way to small of mah for it. it took my 4S-1000mah (65C) battery from fully charged to 3.7v per cell in just 1.5 minutes. really need a 1800-2200mah if you want any real flight time. i will have to do some playing around and see how i can move things and make room for a bigger battery.

laters,

Homey

Elite member

View attachment 191632

flew it this morning and can report it is a good flyer. need to add some more expo to calm it down just a touch but other than that it flew great. only issue i had was the battery is just way to small of mah for it. it took my 4S-1000mah (65C) battery from fully charged to 3.7v per cell in just 1.5 minutes. really need a 1800-2200mah if you want any real flight time. i will have to do some playing around and see how i can move things and make room for a bigger battery.

laters,

That's so cool! I'm glad it worked out for you.
Still haven't maidened mine yet. Soon, I hope.

Peter

Flitedesign 3d

Elite member
Yay its summertime! I can finally go out to the field without having to bring floats for my jets!

Okay jokes aside... So I put some paint on the mirage to hide my build mistakes and some yellow stripes to make it go faster. I went for the same look as @Captain Jay 's original mirage. I opened up my flying season yesterday by flying 4 batteries. Its just such a great fast flying jet. A shame that there are a few annoying parts in the build process, I think this just needs one more iteration... Anyways here is a video I stitched together from the 4 flights.

Along with some pictures

Attachments

• P1320920.JPG
    P1320920.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • P1320921.JPG
    P1320921.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • P1320922.JPG
    P1320922.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 0

Captain Jay

Elite member
Yay its summertime! I can finally go out to the field without having to bring floats for my jets!

Okay jokes aside... So I put some paint on the mirage to hide my build mistakes and some yellow stripes to make it go faster. I went for the same look as @Captain Jay 's original mirage. I opened up my flying season yesterday by flying 4 batteries. Its just such a great fast flying jet. A shame that there are a few annoying parts in the build process, I think this just needs one more iteration... Anyways here is a video I stitched together from the 4 flights.

Along with some pictures
Why do I have this feeling of being super proud? It's your plane hahaha. I think I love the paint job and that's a very nice gesture to the original scratch build I did. Thanks so much for the video. That thing is a rocket!!!! Just like the original, don't look away or it's gone!!! Hahahaha it awesome!! I hope others build it. I will try one now with your build sheets. I haven't built all winter. I might scale up to a 90mm edf and use the extra landing gear I have kicking around.
Great job on that Mirage!!

Captain Jay

Elite member

View attachment 191632

laters,

I love the bright paint on this jet!! Nice work around too!!

Flitedesign 3d

Elite member
Why do I have this feeling of being super proud? It's your plane hahaha. I think I love the paint job and that's a very nice gesture to the original scratch build I did. Thanks so much for the video. That thing is a rocket!!!! Just like the original, don't look away or it's gone!!! Hahahaha it awesome!! I hope others build it. I will try one now with your build sheets. I haven't built all winter. I might scale up to a 90mm edf and use the extra landing gear I have kicking around.
Great job on that Mirage!!

I think scaling this up to 90mm edf makes it a lot easier to build due to the greater bending radius, just be sure to use a well balanced high performance edf with high enough c-rating batteries!

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
I think scaling this up to 90mm edf makes it a lot easier to build due to the greater bending radius, just be sure to use a well balanced high performance edf with high enough c-rating batteries!

i agree. it will also allow for a bigger battery to be fit to help feed the power hungry EDF.

dap35

Elite member

Along with some pictures
Build question here... What is the green curved line on the wing panels?
Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 5.36.33 PM.png

dap35

Elite member
Black is cut through.
Red is cut one side.
Green is fold?

:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:
Def NOT a fold line. I'm thinking it might be where the fuselage intersects with the upper wing OML, but I wanted to confirm that first.
I have started skining the planes in vinyl and find that it is easier to cover most of it before you do any folding. Especially on the wings.