danielnz

Hello everyone,
Brand new member. Hooked on watching all the videos. Now I had a crazy idea. After watching the crazy video with David and his rocket plane, I was thinking, what if those rocket motors could be used as missiles. Have them hanging under the wing an some sort of slide so it can fly off forward but not drop off backwards. Then have the ignition wire plugged into the back, I'm sure a switch could be dedicated to its firing. Maybe some stabiliser fins on the motor. I would so love to see this happen, I don't have the ability to do it myself currently, but I don't think it'd be too difficult.
Anyway, if anyone has any ideas, feel free to add.

Billchuck

Hello everyone,
Brand new member. Hooked on watching all the videos. Now I had a crazy idea. After watching the crazy video with David and his rocket plane, I was thinking, what if those rocket motors could be used as missiles. Have them hanging under the wing an some sort of slide so it can fly off forward but not drop off backwards. Then have the ignition wire plugged into the back, I'm sure a switch could be dedicated to its firing. Maybe some stabiliser fins on the motor. I would so love to see this happen, I don't have the ability to do it myself currently, but I don't think it'd be too difficult.
Anyway, if anyone has any ideas, feel free to add.

My idea is that this really goes against every tenet of both model airplane safety and model rocketry safety, and is certainly illegal as well.

In other words, "Don't. Please."

tramsgar

I think we've all touched on that idea some time, but kept it to ourselves. Kinda like how much your package from China is actually worth, or what you'd really want to do to that guy who cut you off in traffic.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Missiles, Rockets and bombs are seen at warbird shows and meetings.
And yes - you will normally fire with a button or a combination of switches on the transmitter depending on how many missiles or bombs you want to drop or fire.
You will find that you need a fire wagon ready when you play with hot "ammo" ;-)

earthsciteach

Welcome to the forum, DanielNZ! Personally, I think this is a fine idea, given it is done in an isolated area and with responsibility. In concept, it isn't any more hazardous than launching a rocket from the ground. But, in the current environment, particularly in the US, it is something that would be VERY frowned upon by many. As you said, it is easy to do and is done. Problem is, you may find yourself vilified by some when posting about this - not so much on this site, but you could get beat up pretty good on others.

Don't take any negative comments as any form of rejection. As tramsgar said, we've all probably visited this idea at one time or another. Not that I'd EVER fire anything from an RC plane. :rolleyes:

danielnz

Wow, I didn't think that through at all. I was mainly thinking about the launching mechanism rather than the end result. Maybe I'll stick to trying to drop flour bombs for the future.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Some folks have even gone so far as to refuseing to drop scale-like bombs from scale aircraft. I've attended fly-ins where they tell you not to use smoke as they are near major highways and they call 911 to report an airplane going down. Because of this, the scale guys drop ping pong balls so distant onlookers will not think actual bombs are being dropped.

MrClean

Ha I posted the AMA rule and section number this morning, not that it would make a spec of difference to you in New Zealand. Ah the joys of posting right after you wake up.

Then again, either I didn't hit enter or someone just wiped it out. Either way, defer to your own countries Civil Aviation board that is dedicated to model aviation. Bruce (aka xjet aka rcmodelreviews aka that crazy dude) just had a video on youtube that addressed the names of your countries board and their feelings on what they call a commercial remotely piloted aircraft. It's a video worth watching for ya. It's off topic, so I'll just post the link.

http://youtu.be/feWvP1CgLvE

tramsgar

Wow, I didn't think that through at all. I was mainly thinking about the launching mechanism rather than the end result. Maybe I'll stick to trying to drop flour bombs for the future.

Then you've quickly come farther than many working in the weapons industry do in their whole career... =)

I hate to be negative, and I think we all got a Josh "Bomb Drop" Scott somewhere inside us, but too many cannot see the difference between fun and fear. Mentioned stuff would be seriously cool to do or watch, but putting it on youtube or even discussing it is easy bait for a narrow minded mob of fear-driven non-r/c people =/. So... I guess everyone should take the opportunity to have as much fun as possible before fun is forbidden. I take it all back, go go rockets and be sure to upload the carnage.