Mistake High?

Carlyvee

Josh & Josh talk alot about 1 or 2 mistake high, but how high is that and does it depend on the model(fast or slow flying)?
Thanks in advance!!

con244

Hi Carlyvee,
yep it depends on all those things as well as how quick your reflexes are. When I was learning, whenever I had an instructor or experienced flyer with me we always tried to be high enough so that if the flight went pear shaped I could hand the tx to the instructor to save it before it turned into toothpicks. No buddy boxes in those days! So it depends on many thing but I reckon you would be pretty safe at around 60ft
Cheers
Con

Mike oxbig

15% nitro is my cologne
How high you should fly definitely depends on the model, it's speed and your familiarity with it.

For example if I was park flying with something slow and floaty like my old parkzone cub I would have no issue flying it close in, say 30-50 feet up as its very slow and docile and I've flown it forever.

Now take my funjet that I maidened on Monday. I had no previous experience with this model so I launched it and climbed up to about 300' before trying to maneuver it around. It's much faster and unforgiving so I wanted some air under it before finding out what the limits were. If it were a bigger plane I may have flown high but it's small size limits how high I could go without losing orientation.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
All depends, with my indoor planes, two mistakes high is twenty feet, with my outdoor stuff it's up to a hundred. Depends on skill and comfort. Basically the idea is to keep it up high enough to give yourself plenty of time to correct. That's whatever makes you feel comfortable.

The number one way to find out......when you hit the ground. Then you will know exactly how high you SHOULD have been lol.

SkySlayer

ARC=Almost Ready to Crash
Josh & Josh talk alot about 1 or 2 mistake high, but how high is that and does it depend on the model(fast or slow flying)?
Thanks in advance!!
I think it just depends on your throws and the planes aerobatic-ness(if that makes sense).

bmsweb

Site Moderator
When my son started flying I think I had him flying 10 mistakes or more high. This basically meant he had his model up high enough that if he got into trouble, he had time to hand me the Radio so I could recover the plane. The problem he had is sometimes the model was so high it was difficult to tell the orientation.

Most of his flights now are 0 mistakes high.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Most of his flights now are 0 mistakes high.

I'm very varied on my flights, but sometimes I fly -1 mistakes high - If I roll more than 60º I would hit the ground... It has saved me one time on LVC, where I just stalled from 1 meter (three feet) up, and the plane just fell to the ground unharmed.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Interestingly when Thomas was learning to fly he would really get his model up high and interestingly I think because it was so far away he's doesn't have any orientation issues at all now. My only concern is he's never crashed his models! Not once in over a year of flying . . so when he eventually does . . he will be devastated!!

Colorex I know what you mean about hitting the ground when at low speed and low to the ground. Last week I was trying to show Thomas how to do a Proper Approach with his Kinetics and it ended up cartwheeling lol so much for me teaching the little man :D I'm lucky I didn't break anything on his model

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
My only concern is he's never crashed his models! Not once in over a year of flying . . so when he eventually does . . he will be devastated!!

WOW, that's impressive. I have some familiarity with that, but the other way around. I've always flown calmly and slowly. I don't push many G's in turns, because of the relatively weak CF tube in the Bixler wing. And because of my calm flying I have never crashed badly.

But when the time came (when a wave washed over the Bixler and the ESC shorted), I had decided that I was not going to be sad if something bad happened. Compared to everyone else, I've had a much more enjoyable learning curve than most beginners. I was owing myself a bad experience. When only the ESC shorted and nothing else happened (no fuselage damage, no more issues) I just told myself, "This was to be expected" and didn't get sad.

"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead."

Colorex I know what you mean about hitting the ground when at low speed and low to the ground. Last week I was trying to show Thomas how to do a Proper Approach with his Kinetics and it ended up cartwheeling lol so much for me teaching the little man :D I'm lucky I didn't break anything on his model

HAHA I think the Bixler would have been better for that. It's like Bixler showing Scott how to fly the fiberglass Fox!

bmsweb

Site Moderator
You've done really well as specially if you've done it on your own. My first flight lasted about 20 seconds and my model was completely destroyed. When Thomas my son was learning he was lucky in that he had me to save him every time he got into trouble. It make a big difference as far as learning curve goes if you have someone keeping an eye on everything you do.

BTW: I honestly think you have the best EVER photo of the Bixler!!

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
You've done really well as specially if you've done it on your own. My first flight lasted about 20 seconds and my model was completely destroyed. When Thomas my son was learning he was lucky in that he had me to save him every time he got into trouble. It make a big difference as far as learning curve goes if you have someone keeping an eye on everything you do.

BTW: I honestly think you have the best EVER photo of the Bixler!!

Thanks :) But remember that I was flying the plane, a friend took the photo. He's not a photographer, but he is very smart, as he set up the camera for moving objects, sunlight, and set the color balance right!

bmsweb

Site Moderator
All I know is every time I look at the photo, I want to get out there and fly!! You should make that into a Desktop Picture ;)

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
All I know is every time I look at the photo, I want to get out there and fly!! You should make that into a Desktop Picture ;)

I am currently using it as a background on my phone, my iPod, forum avatar, Facebook profile picture. As for the wallpaper, as soon as I get the original photo, I'll make it available for download.