Mitsubishi A6M2- 1000mm / 40inch

ItsOK

Hello, long time lurker here.

I was looking through the forums here and realized that there's a distinct lack of nice looking ww2 Japanese aircraft designs here.

(Local fiend has a nice version though)

Feeling bored I decided to design either a popular or obscure plane which led me to two possible candidates.

The first being the Aichi E13 and the second being the Mitsubishi A6M2.
aichi_e13a_3v.jpg mitsubishi_a6m2_reisen_zero-91478.jpg

I actually have both of them designed but the A6M2 is 90% complete (also have no experience with seaplanes).
They both have a wingspan of 40 inches / 1000mm and are based off 3 view diagrams.

I have some projected numbers for the plane but they are not final. These are calucluated based off my own electronics and the weight of foam that I have.

The battery will likely be anywhere from 1000 to 2200mah.

The flying weight of the A6M is likely going to be 650 grams or 22 oz (with a 2200 mah lipo)

Electronic weight is 300 grams.

Foam weight is 0.0115 grams/sq inch.

The wing area is close to 3500 cm^2 or 300 in^2.

I was thinking of a 1400kv or equivalent motor with an 8inch prop to power the plane.

Here are some pictures of my progress.

Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 8.11.30 PM.png
Almost everything is ready from wings to the fuselage

Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 8.12.24 PM.png
The build is something like a master build, but only in its use of bending foam.
I wanted to build around a box since that will provide better structure to the plane overall.

Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 8.13.34 PM.png

This leads me to my main issue which is prototyping the plane. I would love to do it myself and share it but I can't find the time to do so.

I have a folder full of almost finished SVG plans but I can't just put them up without knowing they turn into a well flying machine.

If you are able to assist, please let me know or just stayed tuned while I clean up the plans, adjust the plane and then share the finalized version here.
My own build will have to wait until July :(

Last edited:

Kugzenburg

I don't know why you can't just use the mini zero that flitetest already designed and proved to be fly quite well, then upscale it??

ItsOK

Well to be quite honest I just wanted to satiate my boredom. I could have done that but in the process I would not have learn't many aspects of 3d design. Also it would disingenous to claim someone else's work to be mine after small adjustments.
I don't know why you can't just use the mini zero that flitetest already designed and proved to be fly quite well, then upscale it??

I know some designs already exist, but this post is kind of a precursor to my other designs. I just wanted to share my work but it doesn't seem everyone wants to see a new take.

View attachment 221415
Designing it yourself is full of merit if that's what you want to do. I've never even flown a plane designed by someone besides myself.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
I know some designs already exist, but this post is kind of a precursor to my other designs. I just wanted to share my work but it doesn't seem everyone wants to see a new take.

View attachment 221415
Sorry my friend I think the thread took a turn some where and thought that you were looking for something else, sincere apologies. Need a beta builder? :D And I need a Zero in my hangar that size:LOL::LOL:

ItsOK

Sorry my friend I think the thread took a turn some where and thought that you were looking for something else, sincere apologies. Need a beta builder? :D And I need a Zero in my hangar that size:LOL::LOL:
Thanks for the offer, i'll try my best to have the plans ready by next weekend for anyone who'd like to build it.
Heres a sneak peak at another semi complete design that I wanna share eventually that does not exist on the forums yet.
Bonus points to anyone who knows this plane!
Screen Shot 2022-03-12 at 8.46.47 PM.png

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Thanks for the offer, i'll try my best to have the plans ready by next weekend for anyone who'd like to build it.
Heres a sneak peak at another semi complete design that I wanna share eventually that does not exist on the forums yet.
Bonus points to anyone who knows this plane!
View attachment 221484
I want to say its a Martin, maybe B-26 Marauder?