Mix it up, guys! Under-represented categories of planes the community would love as kits or plans

Vimana89

Legendary member
All the funny, goofy, meme planes you guys have been doing lately are cool, but we are ready for more than just a passing novelty. There are several non-existent or severely under-represented genres of plane in your kit and scratch build line-up that would be seriously fun and popular with the community, and translate beautifully into foam board with FT building techniques and style.

The largest deficit is in the area of airliners. I may be incorrect, but I know of no FT kit or scratch build plan for any type of airliner, prop or jet. There are several that would be nice, but my personal recommendation, and one I will be attempting to design myself, is the Bombardier Dash 8.
1557614220970.png

As far as jetliners, there are many choices in many size ranges and styles.

The second is cold war era jets of all different styles, from slick early straight wing jet fighters to majestic delta bombers to strange prototype jets of all varieties. I will list a handful of diverse planes that I like in this category that I feel would fly great and be popular with the community.

Delta jet bombers: Either in pusher or EDF format, we wants us some of these. My two picks for a candidate would be;

*The obvious choice, XB-70 Valkyrie. Very popular plane with a cult following, would be well recieved, and there are few if any highly swept deltas in the FT lineup.
1557615040427.png

*The not-so-obvious choice, BAC-TSR2, the retro-futuristic British delta bomber that flew and got got cancelled and scrapped for political and financial reasons, making a lot of people really, really salty. The slightly boxy lines of the fuselage would translate perfectly into FT style foam board, and the wingtip anhedrals would turn heads and give this baby some roll power.
1557615345133.png

Early straight wing jets: You should really offer at least one. These look great, and make a versatile platform that can be a good first EDF plane for somebody relatively new, but still a capable enough flyer to interest the pros. Might I recommend the F-94 Starfire?
1557615680382.png
1557615701131.png
I think there are versions without the bulky fuel tanks, though they wouldn't be too bad out of FB, especially if they were made profile instead of 3d, kind of like large winglets.

Funky Prototypes
The height of the cold war jet age has quite a few notable ones. My two top picks are;

*One of my personal favorite planes of all time, the HP-115. Low aspect deltas are under-represented in the FT lineup, and this one has several distinctions that make it an unsung hero in the history of aviation. It is the most acute delta ever flown, with a top speed of under 300 mph,in order to test the low speed handling performance of the "slender delta" planform, which used the principle of big vortex lift created by the extreme sweep of the wing, especially at high angles of attack. The plane was reported to be quite docile and pleasant to fly, and was flown in 1970 by Neil Armstrong, who enjoyed the experience. The research from this plane lead to the development of the Concorde. This plane would be a high alpha master and a barrel rolling beast!
1557616546023.png
1557616532317.png

My second pick would be the Convair Pogo. Not quite as practical or straight-forward as the HP-115, but super cool and fills several niches, including VTOL and contra-rotating props. It has a big cult following and would be a fun oddity to fly.

1557616875350.png

These are the main areas that I see are lacking, and my recommendations to fill them. Anyone is welcome to second support for one of the planes I listed, or to list a category or specific plane of their own that they feel is sorely missing from the FT roster of scratch builds and kits.

kdobson83

I think a simpler way of putting it that we want more jets. Right now, FT only has two, and no edf power packs yet either. There are TONS of FT community designed jets but for some reason FT themselves haven't dove into em yet. Hopefully with this new 'Master Series' they started we will see more jets.

JTarmstr

Elite member
All the funny, goofy, meme planes you guys have been doing lately are cool, but we are ready for more than just a passing novelty. There are several non-existent or severely under-represented genres of plane in your kit and scratch build line-up that would be seriously fun and popular with the community, and translate beautifully into foam board with FT building techniques and style.

The largest deficit is in the area of airliners. I may be incorrect, but I know of no FT kit or scratch build plan for any type of airliner, prop or jet. There are several that would be nice, but my personal recommendation, and one I will be attempting to design myself, is the Bombardier Dash 8.
View attachment 131001
As far as jetliners, there are many choices in many size ranges and styles.

The second is cold war era jets of all different styles, from slick early straight wing jet fighters to majestic delta bombers to strange prototype jets of all varieties. I will list a handful of diverse planes that I like in this category that I feel would fly great and be popular with the community.

Delta jet bombers: Either in pusher or EDF format, we wants us some of these. My two picks for a candidate would be;

*The obvious choice, XB-70 Valkyrie. Very popular plane with a cult following, would be well recieved, and there are few if any highly swept deltas in the FT lineup.
View attachment 131002

*The not-so-obvious choice, BAC-TSR2, the retro-futuristic British delta bomber that flew and got got cancelled and scrapped for political and financial reasons, making a lot of people really, really salty. The slightly boxy lines of the fuselage would translate perfectly into FT style foam board, and the wingtip anhedrals would turn heads and give this baby some roll power.
View attachment 131003
Early straight wing jets: You should really offer at least one. These look great, and make a versatile platform that can be a good first EDF plane for somebody relatively new, but still a capable enough flyer to interest the pros. Might I recommend the F-94 Starfire?
View attachment 131004 View attachment 131005 I think there are versions without the bulky fuel tanks, though they wouldn't be too bad out of FB, especially if they were made profile instead of 3d, kind of like large winglets.

Funky Prototypes
The height of the cold war jet age has quite a few notable ones. My two top picks are;

*One of my personal favorite planes of all time, the HP-115. Low aspect deltas are under-represented in the FT lineup, and this one has several distinctions that make it an unsung hero in the history of aviation. It is the most acute delta ever flown, with a top speed of under 300 mph,in order to test the low speed handling performance of the "slender delta" planform, which used the principle of big vortex lift created by the extreme sweep of the wing, especially at high angles of attack. The plane was reported to be quite docile and pleasant to fly, and was flown in 1970 by Neil Armstrong, who enjoyed the experience. The research from this plane lead to the development of the Concorde. This plane would be a high alpha master and a barrel rolling beast!
View attachment 131007 View attachment 131006

My second pick would be the Convair Pogo. Not quite as practical or straight-forward as the HP-115, but super cool and fills several niches, including VTOL and contra-rotating props. It has a big cult following and would be a fun oddity to fly.

View attachment 131008

These are the main areas that I see are lacking, and my recommendations to fill them. Anyone is welcome to second support for one of the planes I listed, or to list a category or specific plane of their own that they feel is sorely missing from the FT roster of scratch builds and kits.

You Got most of the areas I noticed not many jets from, here are a few jets I would add: (note some may be from an earlier post of jets I recommended as FT designs)

B-57 Canberra. This was a strategic bomber of the 40's and 50's for the USAF, based off of the English electric Canberra. as a mighty mini with two 50 mm EDFs, I have a feeling this would be a decent jet.

Martin_B-57A_USAF_52-1418.jpg

The F-86 Sabre. The backbone of the USAF in the Korean war, the F-86 was a capable dogfighter and and the first American jet that could deal with the Mig 15 and the Mig 17. I feel like this jet would look fantastic as a boxy FT style bird with a 70 mm EDF.

a066e7771bcc16774952d77fbd1e8a3d.jpg

The F3h banshee. a carrier born fighter in the 1950s. While it looks like a baby F-4 phantom this jet was still quite capable in its time. I would try a mighty mini style design with 50 mm EDFs and enlarged intakes.

F3H_VF-114_cat_1960.JPG

Ok thats all the jets I have that I would suggest at the moment. I have my fingers crossed for a 50 mm power pack in the future but we shall see.

Vimana89

Legendary member
You Got most of the areas I noticed not many jets from, here are a few jets I would add: (note some may be from an earlier post of jets I recommended as FT designs)

B-57 Canberra. This was a strategic bomber of the 40's and 50's for the USAF, based off of the English electric Canberra. as a mighty mini with two 50 mm EDFs, I have a feeling this would be a decent jet.

Martin_B-57A_USAF_52-1418.jpg

The F-86 Sabre. The backbone of the USAF in the Korean war, the F-86 was a capable dogfighter and and the first American jet that could deal with the Mig 15 and the Mig 17. I feel like this jet would look fantastic as a boxy FT style bird with a 70 mm EDF.

a066e7771bcc16774952d77fbd1e8a3d.jpg

The F3h banshee. a carrier born fighter in the 1950s. While it looks like a baby F-4 phantom this jet was still quite capable in its time. I would try a mighty mini style design with 50 mm EDFs and enlarged intakes.

F3H_VF-114_cat_1960.JPG

Ok thats all the jets I have that I would suggest at the moment. I have my fingers crossed for a 50 mm power pack in the future but we shall see.
All excellent choices! The B-57 has a distinctive look. If I'm not mistaken they used some modified nose parts from it on the hp-115.

Brianna81

Funky Prototypes

I just learned about the Custer Channel Wing and the Stipa-Caproni. These are pretty awesome. I believe there are some DIY versions of RC planes already out there, but I would be curious to see how the FT guys would be able to fly and provide their review of the plane's characteristics. The Stipa-Caproni was largely unchanged from what I could see in some of the pictures, but the Custer plane went from a prototype that looks similar to a Peter Sripol ultralight, to more of a commercial style plane. I personally like the original prototype, as with it's shorter and almost non-existent wings, it looks a lot more funky. The later version had full length wings, likely to give it more stability. But, this is RC, who needs stability when you can fly pigs, duck heads and pedal cars? :D

Attachments

• Stipa-Caproni.jpg
    Stipa-Caproni.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Custer-CCW-1.jpg
    Custer-CCW-1.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Custer-CCW-2.PNG
    Custer-CCW-2.PNG
    64.4 KB · Views: 0

JennyC6

Elite member
View attachment 131004 View attachment 131005 I think there are versions without the bulky fuel tanks, though they wouldn't be too bad out of FB, especially if they were made profile instead of 3d, kind of like large winglets.

latest.png
Fallout + Flite Test = one happy me! Hehe.

JennyC6

Elite member
I could see them turning any of the random cars laying about in that game into quads as well, with as many quads as they fly. That would be kind of neat to see :)
nah let DriveOn do that. Would be kinda neat to have a Fallout pickup truck lid on one of the Gen7s. But nah, for FT, there's plenty of aircraft to play with, and it'd be really effing neat if Bethesda themselves comes up and says 'hey guys here's a licensing agreement now sell some speedbuild kits!'.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Check this. We need more 20's and 30's classics. Take a look at these unique three engine designs. The Stinson A(smaller) and B(extended). I love the original color scheme and everything.

Attachments

• IMG_0702.JPG
    IMG_0702.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0703.JPG
    IMG_0703.JPG
    311.3 KB · Views: 0

JennyC6

Elite member
Seen what I'm assuming to be a Master Series P-38 and B-17G leaned up on the wall in the Drive On video about the drift car they did not too long ago. They're in the works. Lemme go try to grab some screenies.

Lately, I've also seen a giant sportster leaned up in the background too. Like, >5 foot wingspan. HUGE. Makes me wonder if the new white foamboard is going to launch with a giant scale lineup of speedbuild kits of the existing planes as well.