Help! mixing channels Tomcat

shadeyB

Legendary member
Hey pilots,
programing and mixing im certainly not good at possibly due to not having enough mixes on my radio's.
i usually learn by trial and error when it comes to mixing and when things dont do what im trying i kinda give up some times.

I am planning on building F-14 Tomcat and looking for tips clues and advice on mixing radio.
. intention is to have the tail working on elevon set up
. when wings are extended have use of ailerons
. fold wings back and aileron control stops and rely on tail/elevons, i would like servo movement to stop when i flick that switch to fold wings back

whats the best way to go about this? flsky i6 only has 3 mixes available however my Tgy 9x has more
ive had a look online but most videos only show it working and not mix set up

thanks in advance
Barry

Bricks

Master member
I know I can set this up on my Spektrum DX9 and know nothing about OT so I will be curious to see how OT handles this.

shadeyB

Legendary member
I know I can set this up on my Spektrum DX9 and know nothing about OT so I will be curious to see how OT handles this.
is that due to having preset program / mix options on the radio so you can just link things together

Pieliker96

Elite member
Hey pilots,
programing and mixing im certainly not good at possibly due to not having enough mixes on my radio's.
i usually learn by trial and error when it comes to mixing and when things dont do what im trying i kinda give up some times.

I am planning on building F-14 Tomcat and looking for tips clues and advice on mixing radio.
. intention is to have the tail working on elevon set up
. when wings are extended have use of ailerons
. fold wings back and aileron control stops and rely on tail/elevons, i would like servo movement to stop when i flick that switch to fold wings back

whats the best way to go about this? flsky i6 only has 3 mixes available however my Tgy 9x has more
ive had a look online but most videos only show it working and not mix set up

thanks in advance
Barry

Set up a standard elevon mix for the tail. Then, use one mix from ailerons to the aileron servo - Put it on a switch such that it is only active when the wings are extended, use this same switch for sweeping the wings.

Bricks

Master member
is that due to having preset program / mix options on the radio so you can just link things together

In a sense yes and you program every thing in the mix but most of it is all on one screen so I do not have to jump from screen to screen it is all there. It would be fun to try this using the sequencer, designate a switch mix the wing sweep servo to it and then the aileron servo ( using the sequencer ) so that servo quits working goes to zero at about 1/3 of the sweep of the wings, set the speed of how fast or slow I want the sweep to be. Once the switch is flipped then the elevator goes to elevons. This all happens off of one switch, it can be set up to use a different switch for each event, or any combination of them.

L Edge

Master member
1) Why do you need ailerons on the wing? Plane flies super without ailerons. In fact, with wings back, is rolls like a drill.

Does your Tgy9x radio have a pitch curve? Rather then flip switch so wing is either out or full back, use your pitch curve that follows the throttle so the graph stays at 50% till 50% throttle, then as you move the throttle forward, the wing moves slowly back until it 100% throttle, the wing mates with the fuse.
That way, you use 2 flight modes. One for wing just out,(you could add a mix for aileron deflection) and mode 2 will start to move the wing back after 50 and as you move the throttle up, the wing goes back a small amount. What it does, is you have a throttle position match the pitch position. A graphing mix is the key rather than the usual master/slave.

My DX9 is powerfull using graph mixes. I fly a plane that morphs from a swept aft to a swept forward. Only difference is I set 3 modes so motor is fixed at 2 different speeds and the throttle stick now moves the wing back or forward. This allows me to fly low in front of me at club field and show it morphing wing so they can see it. Concept is taken from flying a heli so I can flip it to go inverted.

shadeyB

Legendary member
1) Why do you need ailerons on the wing? Plane flies super without ailerons. In fact, with wings back, is rolls like a drill.

Does your Tgy9x radio have a pitch curve? Rather then flip switch so wing is either out or full back, use your pitch curve that follows the throttle so the graph stays at 50% till 50% throttle, then as you move the throttle forward, the wing moves slowly back until it 100% throttle, the wing mates with the fuse.
That way, you use 2 flight modes. One for wing just out,(you could add a mix for aileron deflection) and mode 2 will start to move the wing back after 50 and as you move the throttle up, the wing goes back a small amount. What it does, is you have a throttle position match the pitch position. A graphing mix is the key rather than the usual master/slave.

My DX9 is powerfull using graph mixes. I fly a plane that morphs from a swept aft to a swept forward. Only difference is I set 3 modes so motor is fixed at 2 different speeds and the throttle stick now moves the wing back or forward. This allows me to fly low in front of me at club field and show it morphing wing so they can see it. Concept is taken from flying a heli so I can flip it to go inverted.

Fantastic 👍 love this idea
would love to see it in action
I’m soooo close to buying a new radio
will look into it

tamuct01

There are a ton of different ways to set this up. I have a Taranis with OpenTX, so my suggestions are based around that platform. You may be able to port that to other types of radios.

As L Edge said, you can create a few flight modes where wings are out, follow a throttle curve, or are retracted. Along with that, I would create logical switches for out, transitioning, and retracted. You can use those logical switches to lockout flaps (so you can't drop flaps with the wings folded), or to disable aileron control. You can also update a Global Variable based upon the wing sweep (0-100) to add or subtract weight to aileron and elevon control. If you go that route, you can phase out aileron input and phase in elevon input as the wings sweep back.