Mixing modes using Trainer on Spektrum

Ricknfli

Hello,

I am new at setting up trainer function. I have a DX9 Spektrum. I want to help a buddy fly a new glider with rudder, elevator and spoilers.

I fly Mode 2, but he flys Mode 1. I saw Bigjon000’s post where he is learning on a Radian with the instructor using a different mode.

How can I set this up? Do I need to use the pilot-link set up? The manual says using the programmable link both transmitters need to be set up the same. My buddy has a DX6.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks!
Rick

Bricks

Master member
I never thought about this before so I posted the questions to a Spektrum forum I will be curious to learn if it can be done.

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
Mode just says which stick you use for what. It does not determine the channel order. So long as the channel order sent to the RX is the same, the TX mode doesn't affect anything. Spektrum uses TAER channel order by default. So long as you don't re-map channel order...might be a feature of the higher end TXs...then everything will be fine

Where you run into trouble with trainer setups is using different brands that use different channel orders where neither TX has a feature to remap the channel order.

Ricknfli

Mode just says which stick you use for what. It does not determine the channel order. So long as the channel order sent to the RX is the same, the TX mode doesn't affect anything. Spektrum uses TAER channel order by default. So long as you don't re-map channel order...might be a feature of the higher end TXs...then everything will be fine

Where you run into trouble with trainer setups is using different brands that use different channel orders where neither TX has a feature to remap the channel order.
Thank you Pressalltheknobs. So then would I use the “Programmer Master” method on the master transmitter and then just change the RX port assignments via “channel assignments” on the slave transmitter?

Bricks

Master member
Thank you Pressalltheknobs. So then would I use the “Programmer Master” method on the master transmitter and then just change the RX port assignments via “channel assignments” on the slave transmitter?

You should not have to change anything as the receiver reads the same channels using TAER.

From Andy Kutz Spektrum rep about buddy boxing mode 1 and mode 2....
Yes. The information is transmitted about the axis being controlled, not the stick doing it.

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times

Not a Spektrum expert but I had a quick look at the manual.

"Programmable Master" mode just allows you to filter out some of the channels so the trainee doesn't have to deal with as much. By having "the same programming" they mean that the rates and mixing should be the same...basically you should have a duplicate model on both TXs. That way it is seamless when you switch between master and slave. If you have an unusual model that requires the channel order changed then both TXs need the channel order changed. Mode doesn't matter because that just says which stick moves, say, Throttle channel, and with the default channel order, TAER, CH1is the Throttle channel

Pilot mode is more for dual control of complex models where you may want to control different channels with the sticks on the two TXs. This is not what you want for your situation.