MK2S vs MK3

RAGII

I am getting close to being able to get a 3D printer. My intent (being a newbie) is to get an original Prusa kit (I built an MPCNC so I am OK with kits) to take out some of the tweaking/tinkering that seems to be associated with some of the clones. It should also eliminate the need for some upgrades to make it more robust.

With that I am trying to determine if the extra $150 (and longer wait time) is worth the extra features for a casual user like myself. I don't have regular power outages and noise is not a big factor. Just looking for thoughts on some of the other items they highlight and if there is a big benefit in your opinions.

Thanks,

Rob

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I love my folger...but I wouldn't really consider it in the same class as the Mk2S or Mk3. The Folger 2020 i3 is more "Prusa inspired" than a Prusa clone. The Folger kits are more a box of parts that can potentially become a printer - while the Prusa kits are VERY well thought out and include outstanding instructions.

And both the Mk2S and Mk3 have a number of features that quite honestly no one else has fully duplicated yet. The Mk2S is a killer printer, and the Mk3 is icing on the cake. Either are considerably nicer than the Folger 2020.

One thing to keep in mind...mk3's are still pre-orders and aren't supposed to ship until February. So a Mk2s will get you up and printing sooner if you're ready to buy now ;)

That said...the upgraded electronics on the mk3 are very impressive. The einsy board and trinimac drivers are really slick. Being quiet is the least impressive of their tricks IMHO. The way they can detect lost steps is what's really killer - allowing the printer to correct mid-print (or abort if perfection is required) and eliminating the need for end stops is game changing. (though it's also something mainstream Marlin is working on adding support for as there are a number of other boards coming available with those drivers and ways to retrofit them even on a RAMPS board.)

The extra sensors are nice...not a huge difference IMHO but nice to have.

The noctura fan is IMHO a must have. Best upgrade I've done to my e3d hot end. The stock e3d fan is stupid loud and obnoxious. Of course you can print a new shroud and swap to a Noctura for about $15 on a Mk2....I really want to replace my other 2 fans (one on the controller and one for print cooling) because of how loud they are compared to the Noctura I put on.

The Y axis upgrade is also pretty nice and IMHO overdue. I did a big Y upgrade on my Folger 2020 and while it didn't make a big change in print quality it has made my printer more stable and consistent. I wish I had done it sooner (I had the parts laying around for almost a year before I finally installed them!)

The bed change on the mk3 I'm seriously on the fence about. I'm still not sold on PEI...but that could be because the PEI I tried just wasn't very good PEI. The removeable PEI coated metal sheet on the Mk3 seems nice...but also seems like more to potentially wear out and create issues. But I'm not a huge fan of the fixed PEI coated bet on the Mk2S either. I like having multiple glass sheets I can swap between on my current printer - but I also like to experiment...I have one sheet with PEI, one with hairspray, one with gluestick, and one with ABS slurry so I can use what is best for any given material I choose to print.

The extruder upgrade on the Mk3...is probably nice. But I haven't heard many if any complaints about the Mk2S extruder. And extruders are fairly easy to swap and customize.

All that said...I'm not huge on how the Prusa is moving more towards fully custom almost proprietary (though open source so not really proprietary) hardware and firmware. Yeah it runs Marlin...but it's such a customized version and their fork has diverged so greatly and for so long that it really has little in common with current Marlin versions and I haven't seen any of the features they add make it back into mainstream. I really like my printer being open and commodity so it can be upgraded/modified/grow as time goes on. The printer I have now has little in common with the one I assembled out of the box almost 2 years ago and I suspect that in another 2 years it will be a very different beast again. But with a machine like the Prusa's changes and customizations are harder to pull off - though they're also less necessary since things are so much better thought out right out of the box.

So I really know know which I'd go with if I was making the decision. I'd probably consider a mk2s with multimaterial upgrade since it ships now and is more standardized than the mk3. Though I'd love to have those trinimac drivers and stiffer Y of the mk3.....

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I built my MK2S over the summer, it's an excellent kit. The instructions are excellent, and the online user comments answer pretty much any question you might have. So far I've been really happy with mine, so I haven't looked into the MK3 very much. I had to wait about 7 weeks from the time I ordered due to back orders, but they were very up front about it and also accurate in their estimated delivery time. I don't know if I'd want to go with a pre-order though, the multi-material upgrade got pushed back more than a couple times. This is good and bad, waiting is no fun but neither is receiving a rushed out product. I wouldn't hesitate to go with an Original Prusa though, I think the quality is worth the premium price.

dkj4linux

Elite member
Thanks, Jason, for your comments/opinions regards the Folger and Prusa... very informative. I was hoping you'd speak up...

I, too, would not put the Folger and Prusa machines in the same class. I have built 2 of the Folger 2020 I3 kits and have no complaints at all... they still serve me well. But I then purchased the original Prusa MK2S and the difference was night and day... it was/is a joy to use and I immediately had far fewer failed prints and restarts due to first layer issues. The auto-calibration functions are very nice and the custom Slic3r configuration they offer is worth its weight in gold IMHO. My prints, perfectly functional/serviceable before, were immediately more impressive... primarily because of the better Slic3r config. In fact, I start using the new Slic3r settings with my Folger machines and they immediately improved as well... though not quite on par, cosmetically, with the Prusa.

I like the PEI coating on the Prusa bed... but I've used PLA almost exclusively to date. It works quite nicely with the recommended quick alcohol wipedown between prints. I've not seen fit -- yet -- to venture into using different materials... though that was, in fact, one of my primary justifications for buying the Prusa when I really didn't need another printer. No regrets, however... the Prusa quickly made a believer of me regards its quality and value. On the Folger machines, I prefer Aquanet hairspray on glass... again, I've used PLA almost exclusively.

I do find the Prusa MK3 attractive and suspect it might well be as much the quantum leap in performance and ease of use as I found the MK2S to be. But for now I'm happy with the MK2S and -- until I can get my work/play routine worked out since my move -- I can't justify adding yet another printer. If you can't justify one of the Prusa machines... I'd recommend at least downloading their configuration files and start using them with your Folger (or other) machine.

-- David

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Thanks, Jason, for your comments/opinions regards the Folger and Prusa... very informative. I was hoping you'd speak up...

I, too, would not put the Folger and Prusa machines in the same class. I have built 2 of the Folger 2020 I3 kits and have no complaints at all... they still serve me well. But I then purchased the original Prusa MK2S and the difference was night and day... it was/is a joy to use and I immediately had far fewer failed prints and restarts due to first layer issues. The auto-calibration functions are very nice and the custom Slic3r configuration they offer is worth its weight in gold IMHO. My prints, perfectly functional/serviceable before, were immediately more impressive... primarily because of the better Slic3r config. In fact, I start using the new Slic3r settings with my Folger machines and they immediately improved as well... though not quite on par, cosmetically, with the Prusa.

I like the PEI coating on the Prusa bed... but I've used PLA almost exclusively to date. It works quite nicely with the recommended quick alcohol wipedown between prints. I've not seen fit -- yet -- to venture into using different materials... though that was, in fact, one of my primary justifications for buying the Prusa when I really didn't need another printer. No regrets, however... the Prusa quickly made a believer of me regards its quality and value. On the Folger machines, I prefer Aquanet hairspray on glass... again, I've used PLA almost exclusively.

I do find the Prusa MK3 attractive and suspect it might well be as much the quantum leap in performance and ease of use as I found the MK2S to be. But for now I'm happy with the MK2S and -- until I can get my work/play routine worked out since my move -- I can't justify adding yet another printer. If you can't justify one of the Prusa machines... I'd recommend at least downloading their configuration files and start using them with your Folger (or other) machine.

-- David

Good to hear that the Slic3r config that Josef and his cohorts have worked out is solid. I haven't used it yet; I had issues with Slic3r and my Monoprice Mini V1 (several prints started off with complete garbage after about 3 layers in, whereas with Cura the same STL files printed just fine; I think it had something to do with the version that was available for Mac OS X), and so I was leery about going to try Slic3r again when my dad got his Mk2S built. Cura worked great, and it was a REALLY easy way for him to jump in to beginning 3D printing.

And for the original topic - the MK2S is a solid, SOLID printer. Well worth the price. The upgrades from the standard i3 just make it head and shoulders above other clones. I hear what Jason's saying about the PEI bed as well, but I've found just about everything we've printed out to stick just fine with glue stick or painter's tape on the PEI; I guess it just boils down to your own experimentation. :)

That said, I'll agree with what the others are saying - buy the Prusa. Best bang for your buck.

RAGII

MK2S On the way !!

The company I work for had an outstanding year so they were kind enough to give out nice Christmas bonuses. So what to do with this? Buy a 3D printer of course. I just ordered the Prusa MK2S kit so it will hopefully be here soon. Saw that MakerGeeks was also having a 25% off on gift cards so bought myself a gift card as well. I have 2 rolls of PLA that I got to use on our work 3D printer so I am thinking I may get a couple of rolls of PETG.

I went with the MK2S so I could get it sooner and for what I am doing I am not sure the upgrades for the MK3 warranted the added expense and wait time.

Now I need to become more proficient at 3D design. Been playing around in Onshape and starting to get the hang of it.

Rob

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
The company I work for had an outstanding year so they were kind enough to give out nice Christmas bonuses. So what to do with this? Buy a 3D printer of course. I just ordered the Prusa MK2S kit so it will hopefully be here soon. Saw that MakerGeeks was also having a 25% off on gift cards so bought myself a gift card as well. I have 2 rolls of PLA that I got to use on our work 3D printer so I am thinking I may get a couple of rolls of PETG.

Nice! I'm sure you'll enjoy it! I got a nicer than normal bonus this year as well but most of it went towards dealing with my truck:

25348533_10154856503186805_8967072571375977008_n.jpg

Hasn't been a fun December. I've had a mysterious coolant leak for a few months now. No puddles under the truck or obvious wet spots...but every few weeks I'd be low on coolant. Then finally about a month ago I got a visible leak that appeared to be coming from the water pump. Great. I just did that two or three years ago...well...had a friends neighbor who's a mechanic do it since I was too busy at the time. So two weeks ago finally had time and dug in to fix it. Got in there and found it wasn't actually the water pump but a hose on top of it that was leaking:

20171209_113357.jpg

And it looked like the thermostat housing had been leaking as well. Apparently the guy I had do the water pump is like a computer. He does what you ask and not a bit more. So he didn't even check this hose or the thermostat while he was doing the water pump (things I always considered a regular part of doing a water pump.) He also didn't use the coolant I gave him and just filled it with tap water because I didn't specifically ask him to use the coolant. Groan. I had dumped it and refilled with coolant once I confirmed there were no leaks from his work...but apparently I never got enough replaced because things are rusty as heck in there :(

I wound up replacing all the hoses, the thermostat, the thermostat housing, the water pump, and some other little things that all told set me back $200 in parts. Put it all back together. Went on a test drive...and all seemed great. No leaks, thermostat was cycling, engine was staying cool...figured I was set!

Then the next day I drove to the gas station...and when I got out I smelled coolant :( Looked under the truck and sure enough there was a leak - but now from the back of the engine.

Went back home and the leak only got worse and worse...by the time I went the 2 miles to get home it was a veritable waterfall coming out and I had a huge puddle. Things were dry at the top of the motor so I figured it had to be the freeze plugs. No time to address it that weekend so wound up having to ride my bike to work for a full week.

Last weekend I made time to pull the engine - and as expected found both rear freeze plugs leaking...one totally rotted away. Also found two on the side of the block showing signs of seeping. So $20 for a set of freeze plugs. And since I had the engine out $20 on some new valve cover gaskets since they had been seeping a bit. The truck is a 1998 with 237k miles...so...not surprising.

We managed to get the engine out on Saturday, repaired on Sunday morning and back in by Sunday evening.

But a few vacuum lines and breather hoses were old and brittle and needed replacing:

20171217_174608.jpg

And by the time they broke it was too late to go to the store for replacements. So rode the bike again Monday. Got home on Monday and ran to the store for hoses...started finishing putting things together...and reconnecting the alternator:

20171218_175801.jpg

Come on! I didn't even put a wrench on it! My fingers aren't that strong! Grrr. Ok. We've got a good alternator shop so I'll have them repair it. New alternator is $200 for this truck so should be more affordable. Wife dropped it off since I was still stuck on the bike.

Tuesday evening went to pick it up and the guy was all "I just got a new bag of those studs...and can't find what I did with them. I'll have it done tomorrow for sure."

Wednesday...back on the bike. Alternator guy "I still can't find them, trying to get more here ASAP". Asked him if he could just replace the (I assume) regulator unit they're part of...his answer "Sure, but those are $100 - replacing just the stud is only $25." Sigh.

Back on the bike Thursday...I swear it's uphill both ways, thankfully my office is only 1.5 miles from my house and while the ride in isn't too bad the ride home is definitely uphill all the way and no fun after a day of work. Once again though alternator still isn't done. Now he says he's trying to get some parts from someone else locally and should have it done by noon today.

If he doesn't...I'm just going to have my wife pick it up anyway and I'll figure something out myself. I'm not going without a vehicle for a long holiday weekend!

Long story short...instead of any new toys for me this year I got to dump about $500 into our old truck that I'd rather just replace but can't quite afford to yet. Mostly because every time I almost have a good down payment saved up something like this happens. At least this time thanks to my bonus I didn't have to dip into the new truck fund.

But I won't be getting to upgrade my printer like I had been hoping to either :(

Oh, also - MakerGeeks. They have good deals and decent filament...but...I'd advise against ordering specific colors from them. They don't generally keep stock on hand and just wait until they have enough orders to run any given color...so it can take a LONG time. But as long as you aren't picky about color their grab bags are a great deal and ship immediately.