Help! MLP4 Receiver options

dpNair

Hi Guys,

I am new to this hobby. Just got my first plane which is a Horizon Hobby Aeroscout Mini. It comes with a 2.4 Ghz 4 CH ,MLP4 transmitter. It has a rudder and elevator control. I was wondering if I could use the same transmitter with any other receiver which would allow me to add the aileron control in the future? If so what type would I need to buy?

TA
dp

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I just googled it as its not something normally asked about here. That seems to be an entry level package and would be lumped in with "toy grade" stuff rather then "hobby grade" stuff most use here. It probably could pair with other receivers as its protocol is common but the parts used in it probably will not hold up well specially those gimbals.

To answer your question yes you can use it as a four channel and set up ailerons. Yes you could probably use other receivers of the same protocol. But safety wise once you learn to fly that proficiently and are ready for bigger more capable aircraft a new radio would be in order.

James Keys

Does anyone know what the receiver protocol is with the mini aeroscout as I want to set up with wireless trainer

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Okay just to clarify the MLP4 2.4GHz transmitter used on the Horizon Hobby Aeroscout Mini, isn't Spektrum DSMx or DSM2. It appears to be a dedicated protocol specifically for that transmitter, receiver combination used in that model.
As @PsyBorg mentioned in a previous post its basically a toy grade RC setup, so you wont be able to bind to anything else.

There are some drones and toy planes out there, which can be bound to a multi protocol transmitter (depending on the chipset used eg Husban and Walkera), I very much doubt this is one of them due to the manufacturer.

Hope this clarifies (y)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Okay just to clarify the MLP4 2.4GHz transmitter used on the Horizon Hobby Aeroscout Mini, isn't Spektrum DSMx or DSM2. It appears to be a dedicated protocol specifically for that transmitter, receiver combination used in that model.
As @PsyBorg mentioned in a previous post its basically a toy grade RC setup, so you wont be able to bind to anything else.

There are some drones and toy planes out there, which can be bound to a multi protocol transmitter (depending on the chipset used eg Husban and Walkera), I very much doubt this is one of them due to the manufacturer.

Hope this clarifies (y)

Actually I did a little more digging and found one obscure mention of it working with the OG DSM protocol. Maybe this is their way to pawn off / repurpose old unused modules.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Actually I did a little more digging and found one obscure mention of it working with the OG DSM protocol. Maybe this is their way to pawn off / repurpose old unused modules.
You would get on well with my mate Bill, he is a bit of an internet sleuth too. Actually an internet hound or Ferret is probably a more applicable title.

James Keys

Hope this clarifies (y)
Yes thanks, I was hoping someone would know what protocol it uses as I also have a TX16S and was hoping it could bind to that?

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Yes thanks, I was hoping someone would know what protocol it uses as I also have a TX16S and was hoping it could bind to that?
I too use the TX16s and there are lots of cheap good quality receivers out there, that will bind to it. I suggest you cannibalise the Scout, place new a small 4ch receiver and ESC in it with some 5g servos. Then scrap the Horizon hobby electrics, or sell the Scout as it is and juts buy another plane (y)

James Keys

Thanks for your insight, I myself am and advanced pilot at our club and instruct others. I also buddy box with my DX6, DX9 or TX16S. The reason I was reaching out is that I purchased the scout to use as a simple trainer for my work colleagues to give them a chance to fly a trainer under 250 grams. So I understand that it cannot bind to Spektrum, but I was hoping I could bind it with my tx16s and buddy the team. It’s ok if no one can tell me what receiver protocol the mini aeroscout uses, it would have been great if we could bind it but I’ll let them learn to fly it without buddying tx’s