Mobius Camera Repair

JohnC

I've begun using a mobius camera, and after a nasty crash, the camera lens has a scratch on it.

I'm going to buy a couple of replacement lenses (at about 1/2 the cost of the camera itself), and have already seen a video on how to swap out the lens/sensor.

Does anyone know how to remove a scratch from the lens itself?

I've heard of companies that fill cracks and scratches in auto windshields, and was wondering if something similar would work.

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
Not that I'm aware of. There are companies that repair camera lenses but typically for DSLR and other "pro grade" cameras with lenses can cost thousands of dollars. It usually involves actual replacement of optics.

How bad is the scratch?

JohnC

Not that I'm aware of. There are companies that repair camera lenses but typically for DSLR and other "pro grade" cameras with lenses can cost thousands of dollars. It usually involves actual replacement of optics.

How bad is the scratch?

Bad enough that about 10% of the image is blurry. The blurry spot is to the lower left of the center of the field of view. It's annoying . . . annoying enough that I'm going to replace the lens . . . annoying enough that I'm redesigning my 3D printed Mobius Camera Mount so that the lens is protected.

Here is my current design:

Assembly, Zagi Camera Mount.JPG

I scratched the lens when I moved the camera to the 'full forward' position, then moved the mount on my Zagi wing so the lens was only about 1" away from the tip of the nose. It gave me the image I wanted, but wasn't crash worthy. :(

I've discovered I can get 1" diameter, .02" thick quartz cover plates for $9.50, and thicker plates for less than that (go figure). So I may change the design of the mount so a 'window' is ahead of the lens.

Last edited:

ZoomNBoom

I've begun using a mobius camera, and after a nasty crash, the camera lens has a scratch on it.

I'm going to buy a couple of replacement lenses (at about 1/2 the cost of the camera itself), and have already seen a video on how to swap out the lens/sensor.

Does anyone know how to remove a scratch from the lens itself?

I've heard of companies that fill cracks and scratches in auto windshields, and was wondering if something similar would work.

Ive destroyed my fair share of mobiuses, and FWIW, I find that the cracks in the lens tend to be mostly internal. Its difficult to see, but if you move the lens around, you may see some slightly irregular brighter white rings inside. If so, dont even bother polishing the outer surface. Even if its only the outer surface, its coated with some anti glare stuff. Polishing it will remove that.

As for replacement, if you still have an image, you dont need to replace the entire module with sensor. Only the lens. Admittedly, in most places they cost nearly the same as module+lens, so you might as well get a spare sensor and save you the hassle of focusing the lens.

Last edited:

JohnC

Ive destroyed my fair share of mobiuses, and FWIW, I find that the cracks in the lens tend to be mostly internal. Its difficult to see, but if you move the lens around, you may see some slightly irregular brighter white rings inside. If so, dont even bother polishing the outer surface. Even if its only the outer surface, its coated with some anti glare stuff. Polishing it will remove that.

As for replacement, if you still have an image, you dont need to replace the entire module with sensor. Only the lens. Admittedly, in most places they cost nearly the same as module+lens, so you might as well get a spare sensor and save you the hassle of focusing the lens.

Thanks for that advice.

In this case, it's a surface scratch. I've tried polishing it out with toothpaste, but that didn't work (I may have removed the coating if there is one).

Meanwhile, I'm iterrating a camera mount design that will offer some protection. I'm on my 4th 3D Print now. I've used an elliptical (outside) shape, with a cylindrical through hole for the lens body.

Assembly, Zagi Camera Mount, Rev 2-.JPG