Modded Openbuilds Acro CNC(kind of)

GrizWiz

Elite member
I have been looking into building a simple and cheap CNC
First, I found the ERC TimSav CNC but, I do not have a 3D printer, so I went to find a shop to buy CNC parts and, I found open builds.
Open builds Acro CNC looked very simple and easy to modify. But it costs a lot for just the frame.
luckily they sell just the plate set by itself for $29.99
I was able to find all of the screws and other hardware for $36.99
The Extrusions I was going to buy 3 2040 extrusion 2*500mm and 1*1000mm which, I will cut down to 800mm to fit the foam sheet exactly.
Here is the parts list without electronics
arduino.JPG

open1.JPG
open2.JPG
totalcoupon.JPG
vwheel.JPG

GrizWiz

Elite member
The belts are gt2-2m belts and 20 tooth pulleys for the belts
There is not going to be a base if I need to I will mount it on the table or I can buy 2020 extrusions to make it more sturdy
Like the actual acro

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
GrizWiz,

I also was short on space. My solution was to wall mount my Open Builds Acro inspired needle cutter. There have been a few who have wall mounted the ERC TimSav as well.

Don't give up...

That looks really good. I like the vacuum system to hold the foam board in place.

evolwun

This is really cool. I have been looking into doing something like this. Space is an issue for me, so I would need a wall mount system as well.

Tench745

Master member
I bought a cheap laser cutter (LaserAxe) to use as a basis for my own multi-purpose CNC. It cost about what the parts are worth. Like so many inexpensive things from overseas it needed a lot of tweaking to get right. I cut the rails down to get it to fit on my table, upgraded the firmware to a stander version of GRBL, and added some eccentric bushings to tighten the carriages to the extrusion.
I also added a z-axis so I could use a needle cutter, 3D printer head, or small rotary mill. I would love to figure out a quick-swap system for the different heads. I know they exist, but making my own is involved. Having a 3D printer would have made modifying it a lot easier. I don't use it much so it mostly just leans on my wall and looks messy. But when do want to cut something I pull it down and it's pretty awesome.
If you're limited on space, I wouldn't necessarily recommend a CNC unless you really have a use for it. Definitely fun to play with though.