mode 1 or mode 2?

trik

What are the relative merits of mode 1 and mode 2 transmitters? I don't have a transmitter yet and I would like to get one, but until recently I didn't even know that mode 1 and mode 2 transmitters were available. I have used 2 channel transmitters with terrestrial models , but not more channels with airborne models. Is one more intuitive? I will probably only be able to afford one transmitter, so I would like to be armed with as much info as possible. Any reasoned discussion would be greatly welcomed.Thanks in advance.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
It's just a matter of which sticks control what function. My recommendation is use what's most commonly used in your area. Here in the US we use mode 2. One example of why this might be important is if you're getting, or giving assistance to another pilot, through verbal direction, or a buddy box.

tramsgar

Most decent transmitters can be changed between modes with a few simple modifications. That said, you'd still have to choose what to use, of course. I like mode 2 because you have both elevator and aileron (alternatively elevator and rudder for planes without ailerons) on the same stick, just like on a full scale. Apart from having most of your control input collected on one stick, you have less risk of accidentally changing the throttle when doing your manouvers. There might be benefits of mode 1 also, but I can't think of any right now =).

FlyingMonkey of course has a good point, should you need help it's a good idea, but not an absolute requirement, to fly the same mode. Still in the same region or even the same club there might be different preferences.

squishy

Pirate ParkFlyer
Mode 2 is pretty much the dominate mode in most of the world today, it's an easy choice...

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I don't know if it's as dominant as you think. I fly Mode 2 also but I believe much of Europe flies Mode 1 along with Asia, Australia and New Zealand. There are many other places as well...

I know Mode 2 is almost exclusive here in the states for sure...

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
The thing that does it for me is the fact that real airplanes have the aileron and elevator on the same stick and that's the easiest for me to make sense of. Now it's just the one that I'm used to but I do hear the occasional debate where people swear by mode 1. There's also modes 3 and 4 but I couldn't tell you what they are.

Mode 2 pretty much dominates the states.

eagle4

i started flying in Australia, but i chose mode 2 as i found it more logical for me. my sugestion is go with whatever feels good to you. i personally like the idea of being able to fly a bank and yank aeroplane with one thumb, but some people like the precision of seperating the ailerons and the elevator controls. personally I suggest just going with what feels right to you.

vk2dxn

I vote for mode 2 as it feels more natural having throt/Rud on left stick and Elev/ail on right stick

squishy

Pirate ParkFlyer
I don't know if it's as dominant as you think. I fly Mode 2 also but I believe much of Europe flies Mode 1 along with Asia, Australia and New Zealand. There are many other places as well...

I know Mode 2 is almost exclusive here in the states for sure...

Consider the actual population of RC pilots...I base my assumption on supply and demand, there's a lot more mode 2's sold, but I will admit it is an assumption..

tramsgar

Mode 2: If you're right handed and have large hands you can hold your tx in your left hand, up the throttle with your left thumb and toss with your right hand. Works best with neck strap.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Consider the actual population of RC pilots...I base my assumption on supply and demand, there's a lot more mode 2's sold, but I will admit it is an assumption..
Hey, no worries, squishy. Trust me, I am completely biased towards Mode 2 for many reasons, not just because it all I have ever flown. I was just pointing out that there are probably almost as many people flying Mode 1 as Mode 2. No hard figures there, just based on the amount of countries that seem to favor Mode 1.

I learnt off mode 2 and love it. A great thing about mode 2 as well is that if you get lazy or just want to soar the skies is that yo can leave the throttle to where you want and never touch that stick again and just bank and yank with the right stick (aileron and elevator).

shaun74

To me mode 2 just makes so much more sense. I also fly full sized planes, LSA, and its pretty much the same as a stick controlled full size aircraft. You have your throttle on the left and all your surface controls on the right. Just got to get used to rudder on the throttle stick.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Just got to get used to rudder on the throttle stick.

. . . or put foot pedels on you TX ;)

Agreed. Mode 2 right stick matches full scale's control yoke. Suppose the prefernce is all in what you learn first, but that's how the big boys are learning it . . .

johanjonker

I think everyone in the states will vote Mode 2..

There is a few guys flying Mode 2 here where I live, but Mode 1 is the preference.