Mode1 or Mode2

eagle4

Hey guys, I'm sure this has been asked somewhere else. But I'm just wondering what are the benefits of Mode 1 compared to Mode 2?

Here in Australia it seems Mode 1 is by far the most popular (from my internet research), where as in the US Mode 2 is more popular.

To me the idea of Mode 2 makes more sence, as once you set you throttle, if its a bank and yank you can fly with just one hand.

Just wondering what your opinions are on the subject? Have any of you started on one mode and moved across to another?

When I first tried flying about 6 years ago (i failed miserably, see my other thread in the not quite flite forum for details) I bought a Mode2 tx from a guy at the field, and he was the only other one there who wasn't on mode 1, I'm thinking of getting back into flying (hence i'm here) not sure if I should keep my tx as Mode 2 or should i change it to mode 1?

Thoughts?

Dave

PaulT

Mentor
Never flown mode 1 but I also drive on the correct side of the road too!
It's what you are used to and if you are new ish and want to buddy box
either now or in the future, I would suggest going mode 1 where you are.

Pilot-294

are you right handed or left handed?

do you believe it will be easier to fly with your right hand and throttle with your left?

do you feel more comfortable on mode 1 or 2?

do you have a preference?

like it has already been said, research if buddy boxing is compatible between mode 1 and 2 and figure out if you even want to buddy box.

if you plan to fly solo or not buddy box then mode 1 and 2 is all your personal preference. if you need modes to match to box then figure out who you will box with and what mode his/her tx is.

other than that do what feels right, any added level of confidence or comfort is an added help in your flying experience. see if you can't try a sim at a hobby shop and see how the tx feels there.

i fly mode 2, I'm american but i feel more comfortable controlling the plane with my right thumb and throttle control with left. I'm also right handed and comfortable with mode 2 cus i have only ever been around mode 2. for me its ALL about the comfort of flying and mode 2 feels best.

take these things into consideration as well:
whats available there;
how easy you can upgrade your mode of tx to a new model.

make a decision as to how you want to fly.

hope this helps

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
If I had to choose, I'd choose the one that let's me control ail-elev with my primary hand, as that one needs more precision than the throttle. Using a control stick is a bit like writing, and you need more precision with your ail-elev stick.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Go to mode 1

Tons of reasons.
Everybody is is flying mode 1.

You may want somebody to fly your plane to get an opinion on how it flies- They all fly mode 1.
You may want to help somebody else learn to fly- They are more likely to fly mode 1-
Mode 1 radios are most likely easier to come by in your country- might as well jump in now

Here in the states mode two is pretty much universal. I can hand my radio off to anybody and the plane is going to react pretty much how the expect. I have a couple of trainers that fly so stable I'll hand off the radio to almost anybody and let them fly 'em around.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
As most people have mentioned, it's best to go with the crowd... I use mode 1 because that's how I learnt. I've got mates who fly mode 2. I've tried it, and while it's not too difficult if you stay switched on, I'd recommend picking and sticking to what you're most comfortable with.

I hand launch with my right hand, and like having elevator and rudder control when launching (at lower speeds, the ailerons aren't as effective). I also like flying with the ailerons and elevator on seperate sticks. I find it makes inverted flight and some other aerobatics easier.

A big benefit I've found in flying mode 1 is that it's easier to get transmitters. Finding mode 2 transmitters in Aus is much more difficult. The famous Turnigy 9x is mode 1 only in the Hobbyking Aus warehouse. Also, the waiting list for a mode 1 9x is about 1/5 of that for mode 2 in the international warehouse.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Never flown mode 1 but I also drive on the correct side of the road too!
It's what you are used to and if you are new ish and want to buddy box
either now or in the future, I would suggest going mode 1 where you are.
Love that comment - agree totally - go with the same as your local friends - it is easy to change between the modes. All computer TX are selectable between the modes in software and the throttle spring can easily be moved between right and left stick with some minor tools.

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
Well in Europe mode2 seems to be most popular and with most RTF planes the tx comes in mode2
and as pgerts said all decent radios can be programmed

Klonas

I have a friend that flies Mode 2, I fly Mode 1. Mode 1 is better for hand launching though. But it just depends on how comfortable you feel and what mode you learned to fly.

glydr

How many letters do we ge
If I had to choose, I'd choose the one that let's me control ail-elev with my primary hand, as that one needs more precision than the throttle.

It's all personal, but precision is exactly why I prefer M1. Pick up your tx and I challenge you to go full left aileron to full right without giving any interaction to the other control on that stick (i.e. throttle on M1/ elevator on M2). I fly thumbs so that could be why, but I always have interaction between axis. I find that separating the primary controls onto different sticks prevents poor interaction. But like I said, thats me.

The majority of heli pilots in Aus seem to go M2, so there are M2 pilots down here.

G

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
"If you learn to play tennis today, doesnt mean you cant learn baseball tomorrow ....... "

its really easy to fly boths modes, it just requires practice.

I would suggest to go with the mode you are confortable and not with the crowd .....