Model Airplane News "Build to Win" Contest, Build Thread

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I just read that the Navion got a pic in the May issue of Model Airplane News, so I'm anxious for my issue to finally arrive! No idea if I was able to actually win anything (not holding my breath) or if it was just an example of the entries received yet. I tried to keep the camera back far enough to hide the warts, so fingers are crossed!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Update, it wasn't the MAN issue, but the Electric Flight issue it was in. They got my name completely wrong (my first name isn't Chris and my last name isn't Baum), but that's not a big deal. I find it amazing that all four planes pictured were the same kit! Put them all side by side and the only similarity is the shape of the wing and the size of the finished plane. High, mid, and low wing planes all made from the same kit - now that's a successful design!

IMG_2771.JPG

IMG_2772.JPG

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
May 2014 issue of MAN, I got an Honorable Mention which I'm pretty happy with considering this was my first real attempt at anything other than just building from a regular kit. Word is that they'll do the contest again, so I'll certainly give it a shot again!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Congrat's Joker -- it was a nice clean build, and worth the recognition!

earthsciteach

Dude! Congrats! It is very well deserved. Watching you build that Navion helped to rekindle my interest in building balsa. Thank you for that!

earthsciteach

Update, it wasn't the MAN issue, but the Electric Flight issue it was in. They got my name completely wrong (my first name isn't Chris and my last name isn't Baum), but that's not a big deal. I find it amazing that all four planes pictured were the same kit! Put them all side by side and the only similarity is the shape of the wing and the size of the finished plane. High, mid, and low wing planes all made from the same kit - now that's a successful design!

View attachment 18855

View attachment 18856
It would have been great if they had printed your name as Christ Baum. Ha ha ha

Oh, and the Flying Milk Stool (Tri Pacer) is awesome, too!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I'm used to my name getting messed up, so I find it somewhat amusing. The Wildcat was the overall winner, first runner up was the Tri-Pacer, second runner up was a build not based on a particular plane, while third runner up was a low-wing WWI flavored plane. There were some very cool designs, including at least 3 different Ag Cats.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
For anybody interested, I just heard Model Airplane News is going to hold the contest again, but based on a different starting plan. I'm in!