Model Equivalents

So it seems as though the same planes like to go under a lot of different names. I'm wondering what some of the most common equivalents are so I can get a better idea of what is compatible, can be upgraded, etc.

What models are the equivalents of the Bixler 1? (Easy Star?)

What models are the equivalents of the Bixler 2 (Easy Star II?)

What models are the equivalents of the Bix 3?

Are there any Skywalker equivalents out there?

Spastickitten

They are the same configurations but different builds, so an easy star part will not fit a bixler. They all fly pretty good though ( can't wait to get one!! (@,@) ~sooo nice~), but there will be exceptions so watch out. Look at the reviews before you buy! ^.^ good luck!!!

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
I agree, to an extent. The Easy Stars are different in the sense of power, but not in the sense of all area great as a trainer/working up plane.

Bixler Series: (4ch glider-ish)
dynam hawk sky
easy star series
sky surfer
the other sky surfers
the other other sky surfers

All of these will be able to be MODDED (may require glue and or other mounting strategies), however, not all we react the same as any other

unixrevolution

Multicopter Crash Expert
I was going to buy a Bix3 from HobbyKing, until HK screwed the pooch on getting me timely help for my wonky Turnigy radio. So now I am looking for alternates to the Bix3, myself. I like the Bix3's combination of being both a trainer and FPV ship. Does anything else manage the blend so well?

So just a quick update in case anyone is still interested...

I bought the Multiplex Easy Star 2 (kit), put it together, and so far the thing is a dream. Unlike the Chinese products, the Germans are all about strength and precision, and it shows even in their r/c planes. It doesn't have flaps like I had originally wanted (I wanted as much control as possible given the weather conditions where I live), but I'm finding out that they are not really needed since the plane handles so well and has fairly large control surfaces. I love the ELAPOR foam, how everything is reinforced, and how well everything fits together. The overall design, shape, and balance of the plane allows it to handle the wind far better than I expected. There is also a lot of room for electronics when I'm ready to integrate FPV, and I've read several articles and posts by guys that are using the ES2 as a UAV platform.

When it comes to the ES2's weaknesses, I often hear about the cost, difficulty of assembly, and - in one case - the plane being a bit front-heavy:

It is true that the ES2 kit costs significantly more than a Bixler: the ES2 (kit) is $95 whereas a Bixler 1 (kit) is $36, a Bixler 2 (kit) is $48, and a Bix3 (ARF) is $70. For me, however, shipping costs are a major cconcern; one of the many issues I have with HK is that they refuse to acknowledge that I live in one of the fifty US states, and therefore want to charge me $80 just to send a Bix3 (making the true cost of a Bix3 kit $150). On the other hand, OmniModels shipped the ES2 to me for free and without giving me a headache (which HK always seems to do). You definitely get a lot more for your money, including ELAPOR, a better design, and a plane that can handle being roughed up a bit.

For someone that is brand new to flying, I can see how assembling the ES2 could be a bit of a challenge. However I'm still pretty green myself and I had no trouble with it at all. Quite honestly, the most difficult thing for me was that everything was in metric - which isn't really an issue at all. I saw a couple of reviews where guys were whining about the ES2 not coming with a motor, ESC, or servos, but my personal opinion on this is that stock electronics and motors tend to be on the weak side, and that I would be better off researching and installing my own electronics and motor according to my needs. I certainly don't want a bunch of poorly-made HK products that are completely unreliable in my aircraft.

As far as the ES2 being heavy up front, I didn't even think about this until I read an article where a guy mentioned it. But then that guy was cramming FPV and UAV gear into the front, so it shouldn't really come as any surprise that the nose weighed a bit more. I have also read many articles that explain, in great detail, how the ES2 can be modified to accommodate more electronics while maintaining balance so that it handles great. I'm pretty sure that any plane, including the Bixler/Bix, would also start to feel a little unbalanced if a ton of electronics were crammed into one end of it.

Let us not forget the importance of ventilation when so many electronics are packed into heavily-insulated foam compartments. The ES2 was designed with electronic payloads in mind, and provides excellent airflow. At the same time, everything is still easily accessible and there seems to be a place for all components - there's no dangling or rattling around, no exposed parts, and no components that are impossible to get to without tearing the thing apart.

Personally, I like quality, versatility, and a plane that handles my demanding environment well. I also like doing business with people that are straight up and don't make life difficult.

Bottom line: I'm very happy with my decision to buy the ES2.

Last edited: